Author Topic: Noob Question  (Read 2708 times)

Rainseeker777

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Noob Question
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:17:52 pm »
Has there been any talk about creating random encounters or an overworld map similar to Fallout 2?  Random encounters in some form would really increase replayability down the road.  If this turns out to be a "once-through" type of game I might wait until it comes out on Steam for 5 bucks or less.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 10:10:00 pm by Rainseeker777 »

blackmoor

• Zoner
  • The brightest light casts the darkest shadow
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 02:14:38 am »
Yes, both have been suggested.

Rainseeker777

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 04:40:58 pm »
Has the dev agreed to do it?

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 09:50:59 pm »
I might wait until it comes out on Steam for 5 bucks or less.
Well for that to be possible, don't forget to vote underrail to be greenlighted (if you havent already):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92962826&searchtext=underrail

Having random encounters is nice and all but it doesn't add as much replayability as being able to build diverse characters and
multiple ways of solving quests. Fallout's replayability, to me, was about the different ways i could play the game, that made each
playthrough unique. Underrail, although still in alpha, already has this.
Being able to solve quests with different means and different outcomes compels me much more to play through a whole game again than random encounters.

I find it odd that, to you, the whole replayability of this game is tied only with it having, or not, random encounters.
"Yaaay! i am being attacked by hostile bandits, again. I wounder how will this end..."

Some areas, already have enemies respawning, after being cleared. I dont know if they are always the same or random. I'm hoping that the latter. I guess this is enough to add the same value that the random encounters did with Fallout.

I am curious why did you mention, specifically, Fallout 2 instead of just Fallout, since the first already had the overworld map and random encounters...
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

joejoefine

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 10:52:22 pm »
Just to add to what lazymonk said, two areas I know respawn enemies are the underground passage between South Gate Station and Junkyard (the psi-beetles), and the tunnels under the passage between the top of south gate station and omega station (that first mission with gorsky). So the bandits with lead pipes and such. Not the best farming grounds  ;). Not sure what other areas there are, but I'm sure there will be more.

I think there was some excitement in the encounters in Fallout or Fallout 2 because they were so varied, and some had amazing weapons you could use if you somehow survived their assault (or sell). So maybe that adds a little bit more in terms of replayability than it would here; but I don't know if the main draw is replayability. Its really just that it makes the game more interesting and allows you to barter goods if you ever become broke.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 10:56:42 pm by joejoefine »

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:57:36 pm »
I would like to give some randomness to the encounters outside of urban areas. One idea that I'm entertaining is to have random unique bosses that might spawn in certain areas. Also there's a possibility of adding random encounters when travelling by train or boat (since there's no fallout-style world map here).

But no promises. I'm keeping the above in the "maybe" basket for now.