Author Topic: Don't aggro unaware enemies  (Read 2204 times)

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Don't aggro unaware enemies
« on: October 22, 2019, 05:26:06 am »
I really dislike how an entire settlement/faction instantly aggro's on the player for killing one of their own even when you do it completely silently and out of sight of other enemies.

This had always annoyed me, but particularly so when I tried to kill Aran after returning from the expedition DLC. I closed the door to the bar, killed the barkeeper and patron without making a sound, then stunned Aran with dirty kick and finished him off with my machete, all of which was completely silent and entirely cut off from the line of sight of other characters.

Yet, when I opened the door to leave, the Praetorian guards outside all instantly aggro'd on me, along with the house merchant and other NPCs who weren't even in the same zone as the crime.
I'm all for challenging games, but this strikes me as rather arbitrary and unfair and makes playing a stealthy assassin pretty much impossible since every NPC seems to have an intrinsic, almost telepathic knowledge of every other character's health and location.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Don't aggro unaware enemies
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 07:01:53 am »
This is pretty much the rule unfortunately, a faction has a mind-link with every faction member, so assassination only really works if you're dealing with a smaller faction that you can avoid from then on.
Exceptions are usually made for quests, where NPCs that might get killed by the player during the quest are not considered to be faction members, because killing them would make the quest giver hostile.

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 09:22:48 am »
This is pretty much the rule unfortunately, a faction has a mind-link with every faction member, so assassination only really works if you're dealing with a smaller faction that you can avoid from then on.
Exceptions are usually made for quests, where NPCs that might get killed by the player during the quest are not considered to be faction members, because killing them would make the quest giver hostile.

So I take it that it'd be too much work to redesign the aggro system then. Would it be possible to add an exception to Aran specifically by removing his faction affiliation or some such thing? I need his red dragon katana and armor for my build, but I don't plan on giving him the spoiler from the DLC, plus I have 0 persuasion so I doubt he'd even accept my offer. 

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
I just checked and realized that the zone Aran is in is listed as an "Uncontrolled zone", meaning that I should be able to do what I want as long as nobody is alerted, right? Could this potentially be a bug?

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2019, 01:56:27 pm »
I just checked and realized that the zone Aran is in is listed as an "Uncontrolled zone", meaning that I should be able to do what I want as long as nobody is alerted, right? Could this potentially be a bug?
Not sure, but it might work if you use traps or gas grenades without being seen.

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 03:56:06 pm »
Great idea, thanks. I've tried traps already, but I'll try throwing a gas grenade while hidden and if that doesn't work I think I'll report it as a bug.

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 05:56:23 pm »
Not sure, but it might work if you use traps or gas grenades without being seen.

Holy shit the gas grenades actually worked! Thanks so much dude, I tried everything except that, wouldn't have thought of it otherwise, my build is saved!  :)

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 08:18:09 am »

Holy shit the gas grenades actually worked! Thanks so much dude, I tried everything except that, wouldn't have thought of it otherwise, my build is saved!  :)
No problem, man.

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 11:10:52 am »
If dou'd refused to give him the 'Cuby thingish box' he'd made a homeinvasion of your home and would have tried to kill you in your basement. This is the intended way of killing him.

And, he isn't part of any faction...yet.
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900