Author Topic: Burst Trajectory  (Read 4479 times)

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Burst Trajectory
« on: May 15, 2013, 05:42:55 am »
I was using the Burst ability, because I was getting overrun with Rathounds, and I was pretty confident that the enemy I was shooting was directly in front of another one... but the following shots didn't hit the one behind him.

I'm kind of hesitant to use the ability again since I don't seem to be able to predict the trajectory...

If there were some kind of visible trajectory it'd make the ability far more usable.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Burst Trajectory
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:28 am »
I think it's just a random spread around the primary target?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
There is a trajectory. However, there's no guarantee that you will hit all, or any, targets on the trajectory.

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 04:19:36 am »
There is a trajectory. However, there's no guarantee that you will hit all, or any, targets on the trajectory.

This probably answers my question, I was under the impression that I just misunderstood where the trajectory was, but if I just missed then w/e.

Atoning Unifex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »
It would still be handy to get a visual aid to what the spread of the burst shot is though, so you can determine the risk of hitting surrounding things is. I'm thinking ideally a translucent arc so you can see who is in your line of fire, or maybe % chance to hit over affected people.

(now I've posted this I'm wondering if it already does the % chance.... hope I'm not being an idiot!)

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 07:06:40 am »
It would still be handy to get a visual aid to what the spread of the burst shot is though, so you can determine the risk of hitting surrounding things is. I'm thinking ideally a translucent arc so you can see who is in your line of fire, or maybe % chance to hit over affected people.

(now I've posted this I'm wondering if it already does the % chance.... hope I'm not being an idiot!)

Nope, doesn't show the % over everyone, just the person you're targeting.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 11:35:14 am »

While this would be nice, it'd take quite a bit of extra programming. I might add this later in the polishing phase or something.

Atoning Unifex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 10:12:10 am »
That's a shame. I hope you can get something in place at some point. It's very difficult to gauge the risk of a burst shot to allies without any clues. Don't grenades already do something similar? Can't you use a similar process for the burst>

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 06:33:09 am »
That's a shame. I hope you can get something in place at some point. It's very difficult to gauge the risk of a burst shot to allies without any clues. Don't grenades already do something similar? Can't you use a similar process for the burst>

Sounds like a good idea, I'd rather be able to gauge the danger to my allies than risk aggroing people through trial-and-error.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2013, 06:20:41 pm »
There isn't that much calculation used when displaying AoE attack. It just highlights tiles within a given radius.

Sounds like a good idea, I'd rather be able to gauge the danger to my allies than risk aggroing people through trial-and-error.

If you burst fire in someone's general direction you should be aware there is danger you might hit them. Knowing that someone's just out of the burst cone and that you're safe to burst would be kinda cheating. :P

Atoning Unifex

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:51 am »
If you burst fire in someone's general direction you should be aware there is danger you might hit them. Knowing that someone's just out of the burst cone and that you're safe to burst would be kinda cheating. :P

Lol! Good answer, but then by the same reasoning I could say the same thing about grenades. You could fine tune your throw to just miss an ally which could also kinda be cheating. :P

I think the main issue here at the moment is that one has no idea how big the burst cone is. Is it 90 degrees, or 120? or even 180!? A visual aid is, I think, the simplest and most effective way to resolve this. I guess you could describe the size of the cone in the weapon text but it could be hard to gauge in action and is inconsistent with the grenade....

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:19:29 am »
In commercial version the grenades have a chance to land on the targeted spot. It's not guaranteed like in the demo.

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 12:27:21 am »
There isn't that much calculation used when displaying AoE attack. It just highlights tiles within a given radius.

That's kind of true, I just don't feel like I can accurately gauge whether or not I'll hit something. Instead of actually displaying an EXACT area of fire, could you list the distance and degree of fire from the enemy you target? I have no idea if it's a thin cone or a wide one, I'm totally clueless at this point.