Author Topic: Advice for my sniper build  (Read 3281 times)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Advice for my sniper build
« on: December 17, 2019, 04:47:45 pm »
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgcDDQMLAwbCoAAAACjCoMKgWGIAAGRkAFZkAAAAAAAATQE5HTE1N0cVQTNLfgLChcKlwqTCteKnlwPfvw

My question is would this Sniper be able to stealth kill isolated targets with his SMG using those talents? I simply have too little experience with SMGs to know what exactly you need to be able to stealth kill reliably with them or pistols for that matter. Would getting Expertise for Recklessness be a better choice?

DerivativeZero

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for my sniper build
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2019, 06:46:56 pm »
I think Supressive Fire and Opportunist would help for the bursting, alongside Expertise (later on). You could think of replacing Recklessness and Interloper with them. Commando (Free second burst if you kill with the first) is also helpful. I think your killing power with the SMG will depend a bit on the type of SMG, I'm not sure about the silenced ones, but a 8.6 SteelCat sure packs some punch.

When looking at Temporal Manipulation and depending on your preferred sniper rilfe: taking Psycho-Temporal Acceleration feat and speccing it 4 times would allow you to fire a Rapid Spearhead Sniper Rilfe 3 times in your 72 AP round.

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2019, 07:31:50 pm »
Interesting build. It depends a bit on what your approach is.

If you want to use a silenced 5mm variant to kill silently, you probably need Expertise, base damage is quite low.

A high caliber SMG like a Steel Cat to take advantage of your focus on criticals might be ok with what you have already.

(With your build, if you are in dark light, perhaps the following tactic might work: Sneak up to lone victim, drop flare right at his feet (100% chance), with Sprint and Interloper back away until Ambush activates, and burst fire away with 100% critical chance and halved evasion :) Sweet dreams. No need for Expertise then.)

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2019, 08:07:15 pm »
SMG is purely a side arm for stealth kills. With the perks chosen I can shoot up to 4 times a round with my rapid reloader Spearhead and Adrenaline.The question is do I need Expertise or can I get enough killing power for stealth kills with my chosen perks leaning towards crit and crit damage, though Ambush is very situational for stealth kills since NV does not count sadly for illumination. Commando is pointless. Stealth predominately is done with isolated targets to thin out the herd.

Interestingly there are suppressed sniper rifles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vvef-8sgyek

Sat

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2019, 09:38:32 pm »
The suppressed sniper in underrail is called crossbow :)
You will shoot only 2 shots of Spearhead RR with Adrenaline. And 3 with Blitz, you can get 4 if you invest in psi. It is enough to take down at least 2 targets anyway.
If you will play with seeker, focus stim and infused rathound > no need of expertise, otherwise, it will be useful.
You may find commando handy even on your build.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 09:51:07 pm by Sat »

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:32:32 pm »
The suppressed sniper in underrail is called crossbow :)
You will shoot only 2 shots of Spearhead RR with Adrenaline. And 3 with Blitz, you can get 4 if you invest in psi. It is enough to take down at least 2 targets anyway.
If you will play with seeker, focus stim and infused rathound > no need of expertise, otherwise, it will be useful.
You may find commando handy even on your build.

You do not need PSI for 4 shots. 50 base + 20 Adrenaline + 20 Blitz + 10 from Sprint feat. I know about Crossbow. Different build. This is a Sniper who I want to be able to kill stealthily if the situation allows it. As I said before, due to my lack of experience with SMGs I am not sure whether they need Expertise or if going full crit is enough with them.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 10:34:03 pm by Sykar »

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 12:04:52 am »
Expertise smg is good enough for very lightly armored guys. 5mm silenced won't be able to scratch tac vest guy, let alone tin cans. That's the retarded design of silencer, it reduced the average damage by ~20%. Around lv 18, expertise might carry you through enemies DT and probably able to kill 1 target in 3-4 burst.
Not sure about crit, but if you pick ambush (and you should as sniper), it should be good enough if you have decent crit chance.

Alternatively, just play crossbow. They're designed as silenced sniper. After level 14 (crit power) you basically 1-shotting people left and right without any noise. It's kinda boring afterwards tho

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 01:17:43 pm »
Expertise smg is good enough for very lightly armored guys. 5mm silenced won't be able to scratch tac vest guy, let alone tin cans. That's the retarded design of silencer, it reduced the average damage by ~20%. Around lv 18, expertise might carry you through enemies DT and probably able to kill 1 target in 3-4 burst.
Not sure about crit, but if you pick ambush (and you should as sniper), it should be good enough if you have decent crit chance.

Alternatively, just play crossbow. They're designed as silenced sniper. After level 14 (crit power) you basically 1-shotting people left and right without any noise. It's kinda boring afterwards tho
But you have W2C ammo readily available.
Use regular ammo for easy targets, JHP ammo for big, lightly armored targets and W2C ammo for heavy armor and tacvests.

A Silenced Rapid 5mm Jaguar burst for 16 AP, so for 64 APs you fire 28 bullets, (almost) emptying your magazine.
(You don't even need to use meds, can just activate sprint and Blitz to gain +15 extra APs with help from Interloper.)

Expertise for a 5mm silenced SMG means the difference between not being able to damage heavy tac-vest enemies, and killing them in one round.
In a worst-case scenario, you are up against a 50 effective DT enemy. That becomes 17 if you use W2C ammo. That is more or less the avg damage of your silenced SMG at lvl 10-12, so you do not do much damage.
With Expertise you effectively add your lvl/bullet on top of this, say you hit with 24 bullets out of 28, that is about 280 damage. This is not too bad at lvl 12.
As you go to lvl 14-16 and aquire better SMGs, you will do enough damage with W2C ammo to reliably take out anyone. For extremely hard enemies take Adrenaline and use a Taser beforehand to stun. Add in Blindsiding +15% damage on top and you are good to go.

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 01:29:14 pm »

But you have W2C ammo readily available.
Use regular ammo for easy targets, JHP ammo for big, lightly armored targets and W2C ammo for heavy armor and tacvests.

A Silenced Rapid 5mm Jaguar burst for 16 AP, so for 64 APs you fire 28 bullets, (almost) emptying your magazine.
(You don't even need to use meds, can just activate sprint and Blitz to gain +15 extra APs with help from Interloper.)

Expertise for a 5mm silenced SMG means the difference between not being able to damage heavy tac-vest enemies, and killing them in one round.
In a worst-case scenario, you are up against a 50 effective DT enemy. That becomes 17 if you use W2C ammo. That is more or less the avg damage of your silenced SMG at lvl 10-12, so you do not do much damage.
With Expertise you effectively add your lvl/bullet on top of this, say you hit with 24 bullets out of 28, that is about 280 damage. This is not too bad at lvl 12.
As you go to lvl 14-16 and aquire better SMGs, you will do enough damage with W2C ammo to reliably take out anyone. For extremely hard enemies take Adrenaline and use a Taser beforehand to stun. Add in Blindsiding +15% damage on top and you are good to go.

So I guess Expertise is a must have if I want to use 5mm silenced SMGs. Thanks, that is all I wanted to know.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2019, 01:28:39 am »
Keep in mind that expertise is usually the opposite of crit build, which is the go-to for sniper rifle.
This means, you need to makes sure to not proc Ambush and not taking additional crit chance booster, like Reckless or Scrounger or whatever that veteran feat name is