Author Topic: Does anyone know how high enemy resolve can go in the game (incl. expedition)?  (Read 1803 times)

dondondon

• Noob
    • View Profile
Trying to figure out when should I stop putting points in thought control, since I don't use any of the damaging spells from the school it seems like a waste of points to increase it further.

And my effective thought control is now at 180 or so with will at 14 and no one has so far resisted any of my frighten/mental breakdown/enrage, so I am wondering if I should stop leveling thought control.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Short answer: no clue because no one really tested and/or posted their results.

Long answer: according to the wiki the lower bound to resist TC is cap at 5%.

See
https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Resolve
Combat Stats: Defense, Defense section

The base save chance of Resolve and Fortitude is 1 - attack skill / defense skill * 0.7 and it is capped between 5% and 75%. So relative to defense skill, about 135% attack skill minimizes the save chance and 35% maximizes it.

The general consensus seems to be a WIL 18, maxing at least one other psi skill, crafting (psi headband + psi beetle armor) char can safely leave BASE TC skill at 70. However no one has ever done any rigorous test on this, at least none that I know of.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
I am wondering if I should stop leveling thought control.
You should stop levelling Thought Control at 75, because that's the minimum you need to get Locus of Control, and if you're playing a psi character, you should have LoC. Going even one point beyond 75 is generally a waste of points, even on DOMINATING difficulty, because not only will you only very rarely get resisted, but generally because TC abilities are so very short-range, you'll have used Premeditate+LoC to get an AoE effect at a reasonable distance from yourself and will thus have all your AP remaining for the turn to handle anyone who happened to be lucky enough to die by other means rather than by mind melting.

That said, if you want to go higher, by all means do so.  Psi is powerful enough that there's no reason you should worry yourself over min/maxing.

dondondon

• Noob
    • View Profile
So sounds like I can safely stop putting points into it, thanks. Wasted a few points it seems, but don't think it will be a big deal. I do have LOC and that's basically the only time I use thought control, which is why I was wondering if I was overinvesting.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
You can kill anything in the game with neural overload (except robots). 
*eurobeat intensifies*

chimaera

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
The void creatures are immune too, from what I remember.