Author Topic: Would this smg sword build be viable for dominating?  (Read 2242 times)

nosaM

Would this smg sword build be viable for dominating?
« on: May 01, 2020, 06:13:49 pm »
Last build I played with was a firearm pistol build on Normal. But around level 20 i ended up switching to the 44 smg and a acid pistol. Anyway I plan to skip hard and go straight for dominating, so here's this build.

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUQBgMGAwdQJwDCoAAAZ1cmABlweFNfACxGRkYAAFTCozEOwowrMAbChwJLN0nCjRIWwrMnwoXio7oB4rGWBOK1rgrfvw

Might want to drop per even more and raise con.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Would this smg sword build be viable for dominating?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2020, 02:16:18 am »
If you swapped Per and Con, you could take Fast Metabolism instead of Doctor.  Generally, Fast Metabolism is better than Doctor.  It would, however, mean you'd lose Ambush, but Ambush can be tough to use well with short-range weapons like SMGs.  It still works, but your margins for error get very slim.  Losing Ambush would free up a feat slot, though, which would allow you take Premeditation.  Premeditation is just so powerful I can't imagine not using it as a psi character, even support-only.

You can also take 13 points out of Hacking (or 11 out of Hacking and up to 16 out of Electronics) and still buff up to 130 for that one thing.  I'm not sure what 44 points in TC is for, since it doesn't give you any good TC abilities.  If you took those back too, you'd have 57 (or up to 71) points free which would be enough to pump your Tailoring enough that you could make yourself good armor.  I also don't think you need more than 150 effective Mechanics - though if you know you need more, ignore this sentence - so you could perhaps free up as many as 22 more points, which would then allow you get over 150 effective Tailoring, making almost any armor you want.

So maybe I'd recommend something more like this: http://underrail.info/build/?HgUQBgYDAwdQJwDCoAAAZ0wmABlfaVZUXwBGRkYAAFTCozErUMKMKjAGwodLN0nCjRIWwrMnwoXio7oB4rGWBOK1rgrfvw
I'd probably take the spec points out of Psychotemporal Acceleration and put them into Flurry, but I haven't done the numbers so that might not end up being the right choice.  If you're pretty sure they're better where they are, trust your instincts.

edit: build link modified for new Character Builder URL
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 12:13:01 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2020, 09:51:38 am »
I'm a bit pessimistic about versaility builds. Sword and a bursting smg are both close range weapons, so one should be enough to cover the same territory of offense right? Also, if you choose the dex influent smg, then why not go for knives instead of swords? Also you need to finish fights fast as you can't take too much hits standing toe-to-toe with the enemy with low con and wearing light armor (infused rathound leather probably) on a difficulty setting where dodge does not help you. Two different close range weapon might result in a too spaced out build instead of proper specialization, which might hurt on higher difficulties.

HOWEVER

Since I love to meddle with the wonderful character builder basically as much as playing the game itself, here's my take on the character:
(please enable trapper's belt + jackknife, order of feats doesn't necessarily have to be like this)

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgcQBwMDAwdQbgDCoCh-wqBJJQAlYGAtNGAAAAAAAABIMSbCo0ISEwAGSxU3Fkk-MCnCs9-_

Juuust look at that eye-pleasing layout of only 3's, 7's and that sweet 18. DEX based build, so naturally excellent infiltration skills, lots of hits, fat crits & wet clits. High dex also means that we don't need to invest too much skill points to take advantage of professional employment of various explosives and traps, utilizing oppurtunist and vile weaponry with a single bear trap boosting damage significantly (and to detect enemy contraptions). Superb usage of grenades for both utility and precise, devastating AoE attacks thanks to the 3 proper feats. Knives mean tons of melee hits per round, so we'll be quite mobile thanks to fancy footwork and can take cover at the end of our turns and of course generally be stealthing everywhere. Yeah, so we'll bringing out the most of having a high dex value with appropriate weaponry, the feats to back them up and skills involved.
Since it's knives & smg's could've gone for 7 con and 3 strength not the other way around. It's a questions between having better bursts with Full-Auto with more carrying capacity, or instead of Full-Auto we can take the awesome Cut-Throat with significantly more hp.

Regards of crafting, you'll be able to bake hypercerebrix that will allow you to produce a good selection of consumables up to bullheads, grenades and mines up to mk IV + reach 105 mercantile with an additional underpie. Will also make items of max tier plasma and emp warfare with long lasting electroshock blades (due to power management) and that sweet high quality infused rathound leather armor to further boost those crits with both weapons. And despite planning to play on dominating difficulty, we still need decent evasion in order to not be torn to shreds from a single enemy grenade.

Oh yes, and no psi. F@ck that. This is a kickass post-apocaliptic 80's action hero build - don't care about any fancy magic!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 01:56:55 pm by Vokial »

nosaM

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 04:23:24 pm »
I'm not sure what 44 points in TC is for, since it doesn't give you any good TC abilities.

Thanks for the advice.
Here are some changes to the build as listed below.
Dropped PER for CON Less dying.
Dropped over investment in Crafting/hacking/lockpicking
Dropped skill points invested in TC
Upped tailoring

Here is what the build should look like.
http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUQBgYDAwdQKADCoAAAZ0wmABlgaVZUbABGN0YAAFQrMcKjUMKMKjDChwZLN8KNSRYSwrMnJuKdjQHipLYC4rKJAuK1rgrfvw

Now Creepers, burrowers, and locust will know pain. A giant bone sword, a burst of 44 explosive rounds, and lots of napalm.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 04:24:56 pm by squirrelsforimprovisedbeating »