Author Topic: Dev Log #66: Shiny Particles  (Read 12203 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #66: Shiny Particles
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:53:57 pm »
Hi guys,

We're slowly wrapping up the work on the next content update for Underrail. This one is going to be mostly oriented towards the water areas in terms of content, and, as hinted before, will also feature mechanical changes to psi. It's coming soontm and I don't really have anything more to say about it until it arrives, so instead I'll show you something cool that we've made for Infusion.

We're developing a particle system for the updated engine that will allow us to quickly make nice looking and varied effects. Besides being an upgrade to the previous system visually, the more important aspect of it is that it will allow me to more easily add new psi, special, and item abilities, because now I can quickly make effects for those, which was the most tasking part of the process. Also, the level designers will be able to use the new system to further customize the areas and really bring the environment to life.

Speaking of which, we now have an additional team member working full time on level and quest design, as well as writing, so we're going to be able to produce more content faster in the future. We're planning on at least one more major content update after this one, but, of course, at some point we're going to have to focus more on Infusion.

Let us know how you like new visuals.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:58:36 pm by Styg »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #66: Shiny Particles
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:57:43 pm »
Spiffy.

So this will essentially generate effects based on parameters, so you don't have to do it by hand?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

ProfessorMinius

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:18 pm »
This looks amazing! I hope that you guys will add effects such as gibbing on explosives and more varied death animations! Keep up the good work!

Azura_04

• Scavenger
  • Some girl from SGS.
    • View Profile
    • My primary forum account. (German, no advertising.)
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:59:39 pm »
Cool. This should add some flavor to the game.
You can contact me on Discord if you want.
•♬•♫•Azura•♫•♬•#9900

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 11:13:55 pm »
Spiffy.

So this will essentially generate effects based on parameters, so you don't have to do it by hand?

yes, something similar to unity or unreal but just for isometric

nosaM

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:46 am »
I think the better lighting will go a long way for burrower dens, and the sormiraerren graveyard. Oops forgot infusion is a different game.

Can't wait to light people on fire, with better effects.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 01:01:58 am by squirrelsforimprovisedbeating »

Vokial

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 05:59:54 am »
Nice to hear about recent news about the game.

Having blood is a great addition and certainly make the combat more satisfying. While I undersand that it being bright will makie it more visible in front of a dark enviroment,but please adjust the color of it, to dark red, even a little claret if you can.

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 10:24:35 am »
Nice to hear about recent news about the game.

Having blood is a great addition and certainly make the combat more satisfying. While I undersand that it being bright will makie it more visible in front of a dark enviroment,but please adjust the color of it, to dark red, even a little claret if you can.

yep those are unlit, in darker areas they will be much darker, the system allows us to have more control over the particles so something like adjusting the color will be much easier than before. The blood will be fine tunded a bit so dont worry i will make it a bit more crimson.

Mindless

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 03:35:29 pm »
Good job, I like it!
Just one question - how it will affect areas by using many particles? The fetid marsh :P

Mac Orion

• Developer
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 03:52:34 pm »
Much better since the logic and visual are decoupled and it is possible to scale down the visual depending on the scene. The fetid marsh is cpu bound not gpu bound.

And yeah, the system is only for infusion, not the base game.

Picard

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 09:18:06 am »
I want it now !!   
Amazing work, all of you, Stygians  !  ;) ;)

Pruvan

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 10:56:01 am »
Mechanical changes to psi.

Any specific information available about this? I'm quite intrigued.

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2020, 01:55:10 pm »
it will allow me to more easily add new psi, special, and item abilities, because now I can quickly make effects for those, which was the most tasking part of the process.
I look forward to seeing how quickly you can roll out nerfs with this new system, Styg.  It'll really streamline the Player Anguish Pipeline.  ;D

Speaking of which, we now have an additional team member working full time on level and quest design, as well as writing
Welcome, new team member!

Any specific information available about this? I'm quite intrigued.
See for example: https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=5473.0

or the surely-not-at-all ominous
I'm sure you'll all be very happy with the changes, but just in case you might want to experience psionic characters in their current form before that happens.
from: https://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=5498.0
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:04:33 pm by TheAverageGortsby »

Shabby

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Mushroom Brew Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 01:31:25 am »
So the water area's are getting updated? That is awesome, though it does make me wonder, since essentially if you try to access the DLC super early by stealing a jetski the game breaks (aka every one in the DLC is hostile and the shop owner is hostile (Despite not being detected by one one while stealing the jet ski) as well as the entire core city if you get to the dock on the stolen jet ski) will there be an option to get early game jet ski access? Say buy it off the some black eels in the Junkyard? Getting to explore the water areas only after going through the DLC felt kinda bad.
The access to the DLC could be blocked by a gang of high level pirates so people don't try some cheeky stuff.
Looking forward to the new updates and to the infusion!
Grey Army OST is the best piece of music released in the last 50 years, prove me wrong.

ComicWallet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 03:54:11 am »
With these new graphical improvements, will it raise the System Requirements for the next game in a significant way?