Author Topic: Dev Log #20: Combat Gloves  (Read 7707 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #20: Combat Gloves
« on: August 10, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
As promised I've added a new combat option to the game for people who want to focus on brawling in form of combat gloves.

Combat gloves can be crafting from leather or metal. The type of material used will determine the AP cost / damage payload, while the quality will determine the overall damage. You can also attach spikes, blades or more metal plating which will add extra damage in different ways.

Gloves can also have power modules, which will drain energy while performing a special on hit effect. The two modules currently available are electroshock generator (which functions in the same manner as when attached to a sledgehammer) and pneumatic hammer which, when combined with heavy punch or similar feats, can dish out quite a bit of burst damage.

When it comes to unarmed feat bonuses, some will transfer to fist weapons, while others won't. I think that currently going for gloves as opposed to pure unarmed will always be better, but I plan to change that in the future by adding more stuff for the pure martial artist type of character through feats and psi. Gloves/fist weapons should not make the pure unarmed obsolete, but rather provide an alternative path and also allow unarmed characters to overcome some of their big weaknesses such as lack of AoE and burst damage.

Other minor changes:
  • Added more lens types for goggles (+crit chance, +special attack damage, +detection)
  • Damage from spikes and blades from boots and armor should now apply on special attacks
  • Reduced the damage of electrokinesis (it will still do more damage than pyrokinesis against smaller number of targets, but less single target damage other single target nukes)
  • Changed the way shock sledgehammer is made, will now require a power core
  • Junkyard surprise nerfed (+1/2 to a stat, -1/2 to a stat) and made consumable on use
  • Repairing broken equipment while worn or getting the worn equipment broken will now always correctly update armor and special effects penalties
  • Fixed bunch of spelling errors

Next I have one more item to add and bunch of AI stuff to do before I can release this version.

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #20: Combat Gloves
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 01:58:26 am »
Maybe the poisonous clawed gloves will cover this AoE difficiency? Because this type of damage, coupled with o2 filter would be something that would make single hand to hand fighter more viable. Of course it won't change combat against any robotic opponents... but the game is not finished, yet, right? :D.

Anyway, nice progress on the one vs one combat, and the damage that can be dealt in it. I'm personally still waiting for Deep Caverns and the stuff that can be crated from beasts from beyond :D

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:12:45 am »
Reduced damage on electrokinesis. Nice. Ima try to have another look at it. But first i an going to make a strength, punch you in the face character.
One question or two.
When you say every fourth hit. Does it mean like fourth hit on the same target or forth hit of the gloves? Now does the counter reset every turn? like if we could only attack three times in one turn. Does the next turn first attack count as the fourth hit or first hit again.
Anyway awesome patch.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 07:47:42 am »
Maybe the poisonous clawed gloves will cover this AoE difficiency? Because this type of damage, coupled with o2 filter would be something that would make single hand to hand fighter more viable. Of course it won't change combat against any robotic opponents... but the game is not finished, yet, right? :D.

Anyway, nice progress on the one vs one combat, and the damage that can be dealt in it. I'm personally still waiting for Deep Caverns and the stuff that can be crated from beasts from beyond :D

The shock gloves deal AoE lightning damage so that will help with that. Poisonous gloves are not a bad idea, though. :)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 07:48:20 am »
Reduced damage on electrokinesis. Nice. Ima try to have another look at it. But first i an going to make a strength, punch you in the face character.
One question or two.
When you say every fourth hit. Does it mean like fourth hit on the same target or forth hit of the gloves? Now does the counter reset every turn? like if we could only attack three times in one turn. Does the next turn first attack count as the fourth hit or first hit again.
Anyway awesome patch.

It doesn't reset. It carries over between turns and fights.

Akozz

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 12:37:47 pm »
Great :D any hints on eta for this patch ?

BTW i just bought your game yesterday and i really enjoy it, can't wait for full release.
Regards

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:27 pm »
Great :D any hints on eta for this patch ?

Maybe a week or two, but this month definitively.

LazyMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:09:59 pm »
Thanks for the update, Styg.
The Power Combat Gloves look good and are a very welcomed addition to my unarmed character build.
As it is now, unarmed characters start lacking damage at the junktown.

Its great to see the game getting better and better with each update. :)
Utility Belt
"The most important tool in fighting crime."

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 09:24:59 am »
F*ck yeah.
Powered Gloves.
My Unarmed character would be so happy. Well, I finished the current game, I guess, and I shelved it for the SoD bug.
But in a few patches, I'll do that again. Melee was very hard before, but not unviable.
Now, I'll have 5 potential spots for spikes, and boosted base melee damage, though I suppose with those spikes, it might just be better to use the standard melee attack.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.