Author Topic: List of sandbox games?  (Read 16609 times)

xmorg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
List of sandbox games?
« on: August 24, 2013, 11:38:44 pm »
Looking for something to play after skyrim... don't want to be pinned down to a plot.  The kind of games i like

TES games, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Dwarf fortress,
Minecraft,
Mount and Blade, Warband, wfas

Stuff that gets a nod of acknowledgement
Elemental, and Fallen enchantress - sorta works but windows only :(, customizable characters, but more of a strategy game
Drakensang, dark eye and river of time (customizable characters and not quite linear plot.

I like customizable characters, and flexible plots! so stuff that does NOT fit my criteria
Assassin's creed of any kind!
Mmos (been there done that)
Witcher series

High fantasy preferred so not really into
fallout, borderlands, rage,
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:44:47 pm by xmorg »

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: List of sandbox games?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 11:27:29 am »
Well you might then try of course some of these games:

Two Worlds & Two Worlds 2 - they're a part of open world german RPGs with a lot of action.
In the same vein - Risen and Risen 2 both feel like a bit upgraded Gothic games with keyboard movement and different pathes to the goal, still pretty nice even if gameplay is a bit wonky... and of course these level disprepancies... you can beat some monster few levels higher, but it's gonna be monstrous task.

I would also say Baldur's Gate series, Gothic, etc., but we aren't talking about obvious choices, right?

In roguelike department I would say Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead takes a cake - it's pretty awesome and hard game in which zombie apocalypse practically torn down the old world. It's now full of monsters and your only priority is to survive. There are tons of options, food, skills, even vehicles - from simple bikes or motocycles to even giant trucks! There are guns, gun mods, heat and cold in the world, need to sleep, need to eat and drink... pretty interesting stuff anyway!

If you're interested there are also few Russian RPGs out there which tend to be weird at best, but at the same time also trying something new and exciting. Some even built around books, but of course most of these are some kind of dark fantasy variant.

Well I can't say anything more. There is also Divine Divinity 2 coming out, so it may be also a bit of sanbox/open world game.

Ah and if you got an emulator try Suikoden series - it's pretty neat in story department and gives a feeling of collecting the pokemons :P. All these characters to get to know and lead into battle :D.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:59 pm »
Not really a sandbox game but the Eschalon series is pretty open-ended, it's a lot like Ultima, and the third (and last) installment will be released this year, the first two games are available on Steam and (I guess) GoG.

xmorg

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 12:02:33 am »
GOG > steam for any game that it carries.
Do you know the name of those Russian RPGS? I really liked the drakensang rpg's and so European games are not all that bad.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 11:38:29 am »
What russian RPGs?

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 11:30:23 am »
Well from the top of my head I can only name few: 'It's hard to be God' (or something like it) is a name of a RPG game with a bit oldschool graphic and focused on telling sci-fi story in fantasy setting. It's also a continuation of a book... yup, you heard right - the game pretty much takes up from where book author ended (btw. book title is the same as the game). There is also 'Last of the Grey Dogs' - at least it's the name of the book that they used as an inspiration. It's a bit of 3rd person hack&slash RPG which is a bit nationalistic (about how to russians, or more like slavic people are chosen and great and stuff...), but still can be fun. 'Inqusitor' was put on the Steam lately and it's made by czech people (as far as I remember). It's isometric hack&slash with TONS of dialogue. And weird, dark story. It's interesting, even if the combat is quite dull.

There are few more titles, but I can't really remember their names - I was playing them, had fun, but promptly forgotten titles ;]. I remember the plot, but nobody wants spoilers, right? :P

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »
Try Might & Magic 6-7, part 7 being one of my favorite games of all times and probably the best open world game I've played.

However, the graphics are quite dated and the mechanics are fairly old school, so not everyone has the patience to play it these days.

Also music is crazy good.

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 04:00:06 am »
How do you feel about Platformers? If you like Minecraft, you may like Terraria, and it is coming out with a huge 1.2 update October 1st. It's a lot of fun to play with friends, it's sort of a Metroidvania style combat system and can be a whole lot of fun. Randomly generated worlds ensure that the experience is somewhat unique, and the amount of new content looks impressive enough to entice even a veteran of the game back to playing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0scnF8pXfU

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »
Well Terraria is nice and all, but I also heard some rumors that 1.2 version patch will be the last one. Which in turn kinda forced me to rethink my buy. I'm still waiting for it to be confirmed, but I heard that great plans were made for new versions and now they end into a dust bin.

I guess Terraria could be classified as an RPG, but as far as I know there is only change in equipment, not in skills of characters... more of an adventure game (which too can have interesting story). If you're talking about this type of games there is also Realm Explorer, Kenshi and few others - very sandboxy games where exploration is everything. Ah, but of course Terraria is one of the only ones (not counting Minecraft) which are out of alpha/beta stage.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:23:52 pm »
With the content currently in Terraria (or rather, the last time I played), it's well worth the price. I had hours of fun playing it co-op.

StephaneF

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2015, 09:39:59 am »
There is also DARKLANDS, released in 1992, I think. The graphics look very dated nowadays (though I love them) but I think it was really the first sandbox / open world RPG. Based in medieval Germany.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:54:30 pm »
ToME4.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 11:09:25 pm »
It's not a sandbox in any sense, sorry. ))
It's rogue-like, and I can call it "base roguelike", it's good game for beginners, good like first rogue-like game with very friendly interface (think it's best from all possibly).
Otherwise it's not that good for hardcore gamers.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 01:58:22 pm »
Dustbowl just got released on Steam, it's similar to Wasteland, mixed with Metro and STALKER. Check it out :)

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 10:47:06 am »
There is also DARKLANDS, released in 1992, I think. The graphics look very dated nowadays (though I love them) but I think it was really the first sandbox / open world RPG. Based in medieval Germany.

Serpent in the Staglands pays homage to that game:
www.serpentinthestaglands.com