Author Topic: enemies damage resistances ranking  (Read 1697 times)

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
enemies damage resistances ranking
« on: December 25, 2020, 07:09:23 am »
So we have the following types of damage resistances: Mechanical, Cold, Electricity, Acid, Energy and Bio.

Based on my own experience I would say enemies' resistances, starting from the least commonly resist to most commonly resist are:

Energy
Electricity
Acid
Cold
Bio
Heat
Mechanical

Would you agree or disagree with this ranking? Doing a write up right now for my FAQ so I'm very interested in hearing your comments and thoughts.

Koveras

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: enemies damage resistances ranking
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:24 am »

The ranking seems about right, though there are many things to factor in so a strict ranking is a little hard to make.

Energy is clearly the king of damage type no matter how I look at it. No immune enemy, almost never resisted, there's a way of reducing enemy resistance without feat investment (polarization).

Electricity and acid feel pretty much the same to me: not resisted by a lot of enemies, but there are few immune.

Cold and heat are both in a pretty bad spot were investing exclusively in those damage types might result in a soft lock. But a character using heat or cold generally have access to both so it is okay-ish (Metathermics and Chemical guns being the main sources of heat/cold)

Bio is too weird to be ranked. We don't really care if enemies resist bio as long as it hits, to apply contamination stacks. The only bio damage we care about is poison and it bypasses resistances. Still, there are a few poison immune/bio immune, so I guess it should be low on the list.

Mechanical is weird too. It is by far the most commonly resisted damage type, but there are no immune. So pure mechanical is possible, unlike most other damage types.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 08:35:53 pm »
Well Metal armor have some build-in energy resist but I think you are right about no energy immune. At least, I couldn't think of any.

You do have a very good point on Bio tho ... it definitely occupy a special place outside of the normal resistance ranking. Thanks!

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 02:20:08 am »
Also, there's multitude of ways to deal with high mechanical enemies, which often easier to deal than fire or cold elements oriented build. But if its about resistance in general, I guess it's correct.