Author Topic: Trapper build?  (Read 3082 times)

SHIBE

• Noob
    • View Profile
Trapper build?
« on: January 18, 2021, 02:17:44 am »
Complete noob here but for my first build i wanted to go for a trapper build, land mines and things like that. So far im thinking Str 5 Dex 9 Agi 5 Con 3 Per 5 Will 3 Int 10.
Is this good stat pick, and any suggestions on how to play this build in this game or if its even viable.

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Trapper build?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 06:13:34 am »
I dont think with that stats its even viable.
trust me, the game is harsh enough with actual proper combat-oriented build, dont try for meme build on your first run. you'll rage quit really hard.

as for trapper build, you could splash in Crossbow to get Hunter-themed character. you could search on this forum for Crossbow build, there's really good thread all around.

Highwayman667

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 03:53:10 am »
Complete noob here but for my first build i wanted to go for a trapper build, land mines and things like that. So far im thinking Str 5 Dex 9 Agi 5 Con 3 Per 5 Will 3 Int 10.Is this good stat pick, and any suggestions on how to play this build in this game or if its even viable.

Welcome to the forum buddy, I'm also new as well but I'm close to finishing my 1st playthrough. 170 hours and counting !

I'd recommend constitution on 5 at least. The game is a bit punishing and you may die a lot. It does however, have a learning curve.

The thing about traps is that they help a whole lot but are not enough. They are great support but you'll usually want a stronger source of damage to support yourself. Consider pairing your traps with guns, melee or throwing weapons. The idea should be to place traps, seek the enemy's attention and then let them either: stay locked on bear traps (poisonous even), get blown up with frag or high explosive (the former is better for unarmored and the latter for armored). However, this usually isn't enough because traps have limited damage output.

Traps are fantastic way to handle the worst motherfuckers in the entire game: death stalkers. If you don't have traps... damn.
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is the best RPG of all time :)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2021, 02:00:13 am »
Tbh trap is almost the game-beating skill.
The problem is, some enemies are immobile or immune to trap, so it becomes problematic.
Your alternative is either go with crossbow + bear trapper, or going all-in with meme build, trap + throwing.
The problem is, 2nd build is very tricky for new player. So crossbow build is the good stuff if you want to play as trapper, since you still have very deadly crossbow after someone got trapped, but it's weak enough that you can't mindlessly mow down enemies with it.

KnifegaF

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 02:21:30 pm »
Complete noob here but for my first build i wanted to go for a trapper build, land mines and things like that. So far im thinking Str 5 Dex 9 Agi 5 Con 3 Per 5 Will 3 Int 10.
Is this good stat pick, and any suggestions on how to play this build in this game or if its even viable.

https://youtu.be/keDHFI-MXP4
https://youtu.be/GvQuHaeCYa0
https://youtu.be/gRNfSJ0MvF8

It’s very possible but I will forewarn you it takes a lot of patience and without metaknowledge you will reload frequently. It’s far from noob friendly and I would discourage going full trapper until you know the game well. That said if you are still interested I can link you my build.