Author Topic: New clothing type for Underrail infusion  (Read 694 times)

Dragonborn1705

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
New clothing type for Underrail infusion
« on: June 05, 2021, 01:01:12 am »
An idea i recently had during a playthrough of underrail was an idea of a new armor type. Currently in underrail there are 4 types of clothing, that being the Riot gear, protective vest, metal armor and leather armor. But I had an idea for a new clothing type
The Robe
The robe would be a very low defence armor type possibly not even giving mechanical resistance, in exchange for this the stat boasts of the robe would be much higher than other clothing types like leather armor. This would create a power dynamic by fitting great into low constitution builds focusing more on dodge/evasion builds or builds that are about avoiding combat completely.
I think the robe could be made with three components. The main components being a cloth such as black, anti-thermic, kevlar etc and a leather such as heartbreaker, rathound or other all ready existing leathers. An optional component would be a padding such as dense or soft padding. The cloth would control the look and also certain stat boasts and effects the robe has like anti-thermic making the player immune to burning and providing fire resistance but reducing stealth while black cloth would increase stealth. Leather would control the main stat boats such as siphoner leather providing increased dodge and evasion and even other effects like immunity to life stealing effects, or heartbreaker leather could increase persuasion while also providing increased resistance to poisons and effects. Lastly padding would just increase certain resistances like cold or electric resistance. Anyway that's all the ideas I had but I think it may have some potential especially for cave wizard playthroughs.

PanPannik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: New clothing type for Underrail infusion
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:05:02 am »
Since poison damage is inflicted once the substance it's inside the victim's body, it doesn't make sense that a piece of cloth, no matter the weight, turns it less lethal. Still, I like the idea of giving fabrics a bit more love. It's very recurring to find builds with Armor Sloping or even Ballistics feats, I have made one with Skinner, yet I have not had the occasion of seeing one with Clothier. Many other, say, defensive or crafting options are always preferable.

You made me think of an answer to further develop the additional leather component that you propose (which inverts the current crafting design of leather armor), that is if it's considered appropiate. Let's take your idea of using one fabric as base for the robe - black, antithermic, heavier ones like kevlar or blast. In case of using the secondary component, they would still offer less protection than leather armor o tactical vests. So only glass cannons or agile builds would take them as you said. I get the point that this further sacrifices resistance to projectiles to get that elemental damage reduction and the lowest armor penalty (kevlar alone being less than when with a ballistic plate in the chest, unless you manage to craft something like the Tyrys fibers of Aegis). So, as for having an additional cloth, there's the possibility of a relatively light Biohazard - NBC piece of rubber. At the moment, Heartbreaker serpent skin or Biohazard Vests are the only sources of biological protection for crafting. I think it should be acceptable to give the fabric option. After all, those must be some of the materials used for the unique armors. This considering how improbable is to see the player using the Biohazard suit in combat, when a sea serpent, mutant dog or Chemical Assaul Unit armor is chosen first for its specialized bio and/or acid defenses. If the suggestion is for Infusion, it can't make Depot A obsolete, haha.

Speaking of new types, gas masks can be a compromise of mechanics and tailoring as lighter helmets with the option of respirators. But maybe I'm biased, because I'm fascinated with them. Nevertheless, they can get the dodge penalties of googles. Their bonus being protection and even night vision (looking at you, Grey Army Spec Ops), but not perception or other effects so that lens stay relevant.

And, it ocurred to me some potential for Biology and further customization for the padding, be it for the robe crafting suggestion or the other armor types. Bones. The more hellish the creature, the more the skill required. Can you imagine looking even slightly similar to Bænkräster? The Iron Heads motifs were skulls. We already use carapaces of insects and crustaceans for shields. Give an alternative to the concept behind the Lawgiver Helmet to enhance the Yell feat and intimidation in general. Not that we didn't have it (mutant dogs), but it can fit with the post apocalyptic theme... although we get that North Underrail is more civilized than South, lore wise. Still, I found it worthy of mention. It can even offer some small mechanical resistance depending of the creature, so if you want to stay light you only look for certain ones to get the intimidation bonus, or if you can spare the armor penalty, add (literally) the bulk of your trophies.