Author Topic: Is it possible to force all random locations to spawn?  (Read 3491 times)

Iviris

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Is it possible to force all random locations to spawn?
« on: June 30, 2021, 08:49:19 pm »
Or at least the ones that don't conflict with each other.

The whle "random dungeon" things feel really wrong to me in the long, exploration-based game like this, I feel that I'm getting content cut for no reason at all. I don't think that this system is well designed as it is with dungeons being wildly unequal and their spawn not being affected by player actions, nor do I think that underrail is a fitting game for this kind of system, being 70+ hours game that isn't all that replayable content-wise.

So anyway, is there a way to fix this issue?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to force all random locations to spawn?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 09:41:54 am »
Stop reading the wiki and just enjoy the game.

Niko

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2021, 08:09:24 am »
Or at least the ones that don't conflict with each other.

The whle "random dungeon" things feel really wrong to me in the long, exploration-based game like this, I feel that I'm getting content cut for no reason at all. I don't think that this system is well designed as it is with dungeons being wildly unequal and their spawn not being affected by player actions, nor do I think that underrail is a fitting game for this kind of system, being 70+ hours game that isn't all that replayable content-wise.

hahahahahaha, what the hell have you been smoking to come up with that :D

Anka

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 03:30:26 pm »
"being 70+ hours game that isn't all that replayable content-wise"

bots are getting real dumb these days

Iviris

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 11:34:47 pm »
Well, very helpful, thanks.

I understand that Styg wouldn't  want to reverse his unfortunate gamedesign choices (or help others to adjust the game for themselves), but you two monkeys could have abstained from this pathetic crap, jeez.

Gwadb

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 02:45:06 am »
I empathise as an OCD completionist myself, but for the most part, the random shards and dungeons don't really add anything of extreme substance. Sure there's some neat dungeons and small quests, but they're a drop in the bucket compared to the non randomized content in the game, and as Styg said unless you're combing the wiki you would be unaware of their absence. Not being able to do literally everything in one playthrough of the game is a small price to pay for making subsequent playthroughs more interesting for those that like them. I'm just happy Styg hid the oddity silhouettes, I hated that Acid Cyclopean Eye taunting me from the oddity window, always unobtainable for me.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 03:08:16 am by Gwadb »

Niko

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 11:36:07 am »
Well, very helpful, thanks.

I understand that Styg wouldn't  want to reverse his unfortunate gamedesign choices (or help others to adjust the game for themselves), but you two monkeys could have abstained from this pathetic crap, jeez.

Do not get too touchy, brother, the RNG is there for the guys re-playing dominating mostly. I do agree not getting a Goliath spawn at level 2-3 hurts most Psi builds, but what can you do :)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2021, 04:59:05 pm »
I hated that Acid Cyclopean Eye taunting me from the oddity window, always unobtainable for me.

if anything, they should've makes it less rare. either adds other spawn location or increase the rate. its a bit ridiculous to try getting it, since the RNG seems as rare as typical korean MMO drop rate.

haze1103

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 12:53:50 pm »
The two-headed mutant can respawn if you've missed. Just come back every once in a while, he can reappear. I don't know about the DOMINATING rare spawns, I only play Hard

I'll repeat without toxicity, but the idea that Underrail is not replayable seems narrow minded. Underrail has very limited forced story exposition, and when there's dialog or cutscenes it's extremely easy to skip. Most of the time spent in your playthrough is more about learning to play the game. Since Styg is one of the few people on this planet who cares about making a balanced single player game, it's one of the games where making new builds will always present challenge, without feeling like you've crippled yourself (which happens with "meme builds" in other games) - at least on Hard. Your next playthrough will only have to spend time learning the new build and maybe exploring new places you'd missed before, while the content you've already figured out will pass like a breeze (benefits of 2d games, the pacing is much faster on the travel).

On the other hand, I hope you'll break free from this obsession with trying to clear all the pages on the wiki. The Internet is a useful tool when you hit a blocker, but when secrets go from being something you discover to being a checklist you feel forced to clear to the point of frustration, maybe it's healthier to let go.

Iviris

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2021, 03:53:16 pm »
So. I took the advice of not look on the wiki/internet (ofc I didn't, I just didn't know what to look for) and didn't roll for utlity tower. I rolled for water treatment facility, that is a lot of fun on itself (I guess any kind  of immersive tutorial can gtfo when you have to import the character, run to tho medblock and reset), but didn't know that I have to get a specific message to get this dungeon. 
Now I'm just going to bump this thread to tell how happy and glad I am that I don't get to experience this cool (probably) part of the game that was taken from me for... what exact reason? Why? What was this supposed to accomplish? I also didn't get tatoo master that gives decent *permanent* bonuses (yeaaah, I'm sure that gypsy is a great substitute for 30+ extra skillpoints or something similar), didn't get explosive belt and a bunch of other things  and  there is no guarantee that I will ever get them on further replays, since there is no way realistically check if these have even spawned in.
Not that I'm planning any further replays after this, honestly.
I'll repeat without toxicity, but the idea that Underrail is not replayable seems narrow minded.
The underrail is about 70-100 hours long. How often are you replaying this stuff? How many times did you replay it since the patch that added random dungeons? Was it enough to statistically get everything? If yes, are you ok?
I understand the randomness of item/component spawn, because over the length of the game you get enough rolls for it and at worst it is just a setback (though I didn't get a single image intensifier until around clvl22  this time, but I was ok with this), but this bullshit? I guess it is simply made to piss people off.
Mission successfull.

Also this
but when secrets go
These is nothing "secret" about this, nothing to discover or put some effort to find. It is completely out of my control. Great stuff.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:54:56 pm by Iviris »

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 05:02:11 pm »
there is no way realistically check if these have even spawned in.
What the hell are you smoking? Utility tower and the Masters dungeon have a specific email that appears that tells you which one spawned in your play through. Booth and Coral are mutually exclusive, and if Coral spawns Booth won’t. The water treatment facility and the utility section are also mutually exclusive, based on whether or not the mushroom cove scavenger is in the operating room. The only important random spawns that don’t have an early indicator are Jet Eater and Hopperdome. If you want a specific outcome you can export your character and import them until you get the desired outcome, but you aren’t missing much if the desired fragment doesn’t spawn.

To address your second point, Underrail has much more than 100 hours of content in it. You can go Procterate/Free Drones with each having a unique questline, Praetorian/Coretech/JJK for their questlines, and Pirates/Expedition for their questlines. There is also 3 main endings to the game (SGS, Train, and the secret ending), and based on your choices you also get different ending slides for each faction. It takes at least 3 playthroughs to experience all the main content, and 6+ playthroughs to obtain every possible faction ending.

Iviris

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2021, 05:56:42 am »
The water treatment facility and the utility section are also mutually exclusive, based on whether or not the mushroom cove scavenger is in the operating room.
As far as I'm aware this isn't true. Water treatment is mutually excluse with "camera problems" quest, which is so unequal  to it, that you seem to forget about it.
And yes, I know they have an indicator, did you miss the whole rant about how rerolling character generation isn't fun? "there is no way realistically check if these have even spawned in" refers to "didn't get explosive belt and a bunch of other things". Which brings us to
. The only important random spawns that don%u2019t have an early indicator are Jet Eater and Hopperdome.
Didn't know that is random too. Well great, we'll see if this thing is deleted from my game too.

To address your second point, Underrail has much more than 100 hours of content in it.
I was talking about how long a single play through takes and why it isnt a good idea to have random quest accessibility in there. The game with a similar system that comes to mind is actually diablo1. But you know how long it take to "complete" diablo1 once? About two evenings. And then you go for a second run.
And yes, I know that there is some branching paths in the main game. Some of them actually have the same problem of being wiiildy unequal (just compare JKK questline and coretech), but I'm not going to be upset about it, because I can *choose* which one to take. This is in fact my third playthrough (i've replayed the game once after the expedition and now in it's nearly final state) and I did join coretech despite knowing that it is kinda trash, but did so on my own volition.
What I didn't want to do is to is to lose a big part of the new stuff introduced in the recent patches. One of the main points of this playthrough was to actually experience  all this new stuff and instead I get to experience anger and frustration. gj

main endings to the game (SGS, Train,
Are you seriously trying to include this in your point. Come on. 

Cassidy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2021, 06:26:03 pm »
Just play the legacy 1.1.1.6 version which has no random locations beyond early game and has both easier and wider array of available psionics for use at any time as a bonus.

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45:59 am »
Just play the legacy 1.1.1.6 version which has no random locations beyond early game and has both easier and wider array of available psionics for use at any time as a bonus.
This! If spoilt for choice, remove the choice 😆🤣 But the full Cave Wizzard™ experience is what entices me the most 😁