Author Topic: Target Practice  (Read 2128 times)

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Target Practice
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:06:45 am »
In the tutorial quest section during the Target Practice quest, the number of shots is only tracked per session and missed shots don't count towards the quest. This can result in this unskippable busywork tutorial quest being super aggravating after you've done the quest several times before , you could fire up a session in a hurry, fire ten shots and miss one and end the session and then not be able to progress. Then you can start up another session, fire a few to get the hits you need, and of course that doesn't count because you have to have ten hits in one session to be allowed to progress.

This isn't too huge a deal I guess, it's a straightforward quest and Gorsky tells you to put ten rounds into the target. Of course, when you're a character with no weapons skill and have terrible luck with RNGs it's not impossible to burn an entire clip without getting ten hits, 80 rounds for your 5mm gun is nearly as valuable as the 300 credits you start off with, burning more than 20 rounds on a quest that you can't beg bribe or wheedle your way out of isn't a very good introduction to the game for a new player in my opinion. If you could bribe Gorsky with some rounds of ammo or 20 SGS credits or something it would let you go through this start to the game a little faster. I guess Gorsky is kind of a hardass and a stickler for the rules so maybe it isn't exactly in character for him to take a bribe, but the fact that you're made to waste a significant amount of ammunition is a nuissance. Other than that, I think for new players it would really be better for the quest to track shots fired instead of hits to keep people from reading put 10 rounds into the target as fire 10 rounds, and wasting time and ammo on a tutorial.

I know that if I had been more diligent in my reading I might not have wasted any ammo, but at the same time I recalled having done a very similar thing when I first fired up the game, changing target distances and thinking the hits between sessions would be cumulative. I figured I would post something about it, because it doesn't seem like it would take much to change this a bit and ensure that never frustrated someone again.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
Re: Target Practice
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 10:40:53 am »
Pro-tip: You can go into the range and hit it 10 times with your fists, that way you don't waste any ammo. ;)