Author Topic: Spear and Shield build help  (Read 1645 times)

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
  • Strike em quick, lightning fast.
    • View Profile
    • https://bitbucket.org/N1MH/starsector-mods/downloads/
Spear and Shield build help
« on: July 26, 2021, 09:47:04 am »
Am bored and want to experiment with something new, anyone have advice for a build like this?
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Spear and Shield build help
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 09:55:45 am »
Few issues:
Riot gear is mediocre at best. (imho worst armour type atm, with poor scaling)
Added melee defence is superfluous with spear given spearguard.

I highly suggest going either tincan spear or leather spear. With new wings its very interesting.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Spear and Shield build help
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 10:18:30 am »
I played this on hard with great success. Fun option, tanky and versatile. Immune to melee. Main benefit of Riot Gear was Shield Bash. 5 specialization points made it free attack I can use once per round, or twice with LTI, dealing 200 damage. It may look unimpressive but having extra attack on such a slow weapon helps a lot. Need to kill weak enemy? Finish off wounded enemy? Or daze strong enemy? Shield bash then.

Electroshock generator works well with Sweep. By 'well' I mean it's bonkers. Spec into cooldown.

Spec into Spear Throw AP reduction so it costs 16 AP. If you wear tabis, You will be able to attack twice with TiChrome Spear, throw Winged Tungsten spear once and shield bash once on normal turn. You will be doing so much more with Adrenalines / psi haste / LTI

Spears are IMO perfect candidate for hybrid build: powerful with special attacks, weak without. Why not cast a spell when Impale is on a cooldown? I was playing around with Metathermics for fire aura and Destablization triggered by Spear Throw. It was ok but before psi nerf. Psychokiesis seems to be fitting as well here, electricity will wreck tough robots. If you don't want hybrydding into damaging schools, stick to temporal maniulation as LTI is great fit.