Author Topic: Incentive to start combat NOT from stealth  (Read 903 times)

PQNY

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Incentive to start combat NOT from stealth
« on: August 04, 2021, 07:29:19 pm »
In the current state of meta there is almost no reason to have high initiative because almost always you can start combat manually from stealth or from cover and make your move first. Now I only have a small suggestion here, maybe someone can add something to this as well.

My suggestion would be to add a feat that gives firearm pistols a chance to incap, stun or daze a target in the first round of combat if your initiative roll was higher and this chance depends on the difference between your and your target's initiative roll.

That would synergize nicely with gunslinger, make trigger happy and paranoia viable and desirable pick for min-maxed characters and overall give gunslinger characters interesting gameplay choice of walking in enemy territory unstealthed and trying your luck with initiative rolls, chances to hit, chances to proc this feat and what it will do: stun, incapacitate or daze. Maybe add knee wound to this if your character has respective feat.

Maybe it would be OP in arena or overall, or still not preferable to stealth, anyway, just wanted to express this little thought of mine.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 07:31:17 pm by PQNY »

PQNY

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Incentive to start combat NOT from stealth
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 08:01:15 pm »
Hmm, now that I think about it, one would still want to stealth even with this feat to get a better line of sight on enemies. I guess if this feat only was active while stealth is not on cooldown and also gave bonus movement points, this would negate one's desire to get to an optimal standpoint in stealth and then unstealth and roll initiative while also giving the means to cope with a bad starting conditions i.e. bad line of sight.

PanPannik

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2021, 08:40:08 pm »
More (or less, actually) than one of these incapacitation effects, I think that putting them under Suppresed Fire status is less drastic, if that's the case. Since it would be disorienting (by having to look where the enemy is shooting from) and not dazing getting shot first instead of opening fire. It would synergize better with Opportunist too, since pistols have the option of using Execute, that requires it. But while the original SF feat applies to automatic bursts, in this case depends on surpassing the initiative check. That's what can I say about it.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2021, 10:15:21 pm »
I have high initiative on my current guy, so I almost always win.  Since I don't start from stealth, Ive got all my move points ready to go. 
*eurobeat intensifies*

PQNY

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 01:43:23 pm »
Yeah, good point about MPs, they are good as they are.

Anyway, it also would be nice to have some CC on firearm pistols, similar to cheap shots or suppressive fire, but tied to initiative and maybe more random which I think would fit well thematically