Author Topic: Help with battlemage build  (Read 7404 times)

Ladderman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Help with battlemage build
« on: August 31, 2021, 06:56:28 am »
Well, I just beat the main storyline of the game for the first time. I did it just on normal difficulty basically playing blind, but now im wanting to do a new playthrough on hard difficulty. Thing is, I really wanted to find an interesting type of build thats very different from what I did the first time around (a sniper build with psychokinesis, temporal manipulation, and smg as sidearm). So anyways, I decided on the Idea of using metal armor with a sword and metathermics, so basically almost like a spellcasting fantasy knight who walked into the wrong setting. The problem is: im finding out im not very good at doing builds for this game. Ive looked up a ton of guides and tried to sorta combine them into the sort of thing that I want, but after hours of doing this all I have is a messy and only half completed build. Im not really asking anyone to finish it for me necessarily, its just im unsure where to go from here and my brain is fried, so I could really use some pointers and advice on how to go about finishing this build. It seems like I probably dont have enough feats to spare to be good enough at both swords and metathermics, but im not sure. One thought I briefly had was to drop flurry and onslaught, then focus more on metathermics as my main damage dealer while only using the sword when I get a free attack out of riposte for it. Another thought I had was to go the opposite direction, and focus hard on sword attacks while only having a couple metathermics abilities to use occasionally for crowd control and stuff. In general it seems like its not possible to have equal parts magic and melee, you have to either choose one over the other to mainly focus on.

https://underrail.info/build/?GQoHAwoDBwYAAADChwAAAAAAAADCh3gAVngAAMKHAEQATysIVV_CjB8uwo3CmcKOAFBFUj3fvw

Im sorry its a bit messy. Right now I was mostly focusing on what feats to take, but I wasnt totally sure how exactly to optimise my base attributes, or how much I really needed to put into each crafting skill.
Thanks for any help in advance.

ringring

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Help with battlemage build
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:15:10 am »
You build is pretty good, but I think a sword and board fighter with riot gear would fit the profile better.

Equipment
Riot Armor w/ Shield + Kevlar / Aluminum
Energy Sword

https://underrail.info/build/?HgoHAwoDBwYAAADCoAAAAAAAAADCh3gAVngAAMKgAERLTytVwoJjwozCjsKZwqvCi8KNKj0uP2TCth9i378

I figure you could swap out a few feats depending on the style you are going for.  (Brutality, Cheap Shots & Dirty Kick for a more 'dirty fighter' type, Recklessness and Weapon Smith for more crit fishing, expose weakness and shield bash if you want more attack options, guard and conditioning for toughness, temperance and bodybuilding or monster slayer and fight response if you want more veteran feats ect.)

I mostly took tranquility and meditate to make casting easier.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:14:07 am by ringring »

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
  • Strike em quick, lightning fast.
    • View Profile
    • https://bitbucket.org/N1MH/starsector-mods/downloads/
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 09:24:16 am »
here is how I would personally make a metathermics sword battlemage for dominating difficulty:

https://underrail.info/build/?EAsGAwcDCAYAAABaAAAATUcrAFNFADQ_AABaAAAAUggrXyzCjBIqZS7CjQ3fvw

starting stats are the same except for strength which is 8 and will which is 7, put your first stat point in strength, second in will and the rest after that into str.

optionally you can put 3 of those into con if you are playing on a lower difficulty but on higher ones I find the increase in accuracy and damage important especially since you don't have as much mobility or sources of disable as a normal sword build, feats after level 16 are up to you but here is how I would personally have it at level 26:

https://underrail.info/build/?Gg0GAwcDCAYASADCjAAAAGJNKwBUVA00XwAAwowAAMKMUggrXyzCjBIqZS7CjQ08RFBVwrbfvw

general advice: try to make a +crit damage +pyrokinesis damage headband immediately after acquieing psionic mania, it will trivialize depot a.

try to nuke threatening enemies (example: enemies with emp, bilocation, sources of stun and mental breakdown) with a premeditated guaranteed critical pyrokinesis.

if a enemy has less than 90 chance to hit with your machete try to stun, cryostasis/flashbang into net or dirty kick them before using flurry, if those aren't options its preferable to just use normal attacks.

if you have any questions feel free to ask
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 09:36:29 am by xnmh »
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.

Ladderman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 11:04:19 pm »
Wow, thanks a ton for the help both of you. Youve got a very good point about the shield build ringring, especially because it will increase the chance of me getting a riposte, but honestly I just really wanted to go with metal armor in particular because I love the idea of a wannabe medieval knight wandering around the Underrail killing stuff, and metal armor works the best for that aesthetic. I think ill probably go more along the lines of the build you laid out xnmh. There is definitely some things I would probably change though. First off I dont really have any desire to do lockpicking or hacking (or probably pickpocketing) and I really wanted to get plenty of persuasion points because I missed all the persuasion stuff my first playthrough. The other big one is Id probably like one more point in dex that way I can get parry, riposte, and guard because I really like the Idea of just getting free attacks. I didnt think yell would be super worth it because of the need to sink tons of skill points into intimidation, but because Im not doing hacking or lockpicking I suppose I should have plenty of points to spare. I must ask though, why did you keep the crafting skills so low of the level 26 build? That would mean I wouldnt be able to craft the best equipment I could at that point. Also armor sloping and weaponsmith seemed to me like ones I shouldnt go without. I also notice you dropped thermodynamicity, which sorta makes sense I guess if I were to go for a psychosis build that basically only uses psionics at the very beginning of battles, but it still strikes me as a very powerful ability so im not sure.

anyways, like I said before thanks a lot to both of you for the help here, I know im being kind of picky its just I like to make the abilities my characters have feel in line with how I want their personality and aesthetic to be.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:37:29 pm »
here is how I would personally make a metathermics sword battlemage for dominating difficulty:

https://underrail.info/build/?EAsGAwcDCAYAAABaAAAATUcrAFNFADQ_AABaAAAAUggrXyzCjBIqZS7CjQ3fvw

This build has a couple of problems:

1) Playing 3 agility melee build is very frustrating. Doubly so for sword builds since they want to keep up flurry as long as possible you will find yourself losing stacks because of low mobility or lack of action points which you spend to get to enemy. And when you do get to enemy and manage to land flurry there is always a chance to miss and be even more frustrated.

2) Metal armor and swords are hard to make work together especially is you want psi on top. Swords really want dex because dex feats are so great. Swords want agility to maintain flurry and be able to get to enemy. Metal armor wants strength. It also takes away your movement. It also does almost nothing to protect you from psi.

3) Weak to robots. Your main damage is mechanical, fire and cold. Which does almost nothing to robots. You can mitigate it with high crit damage but it's more dex again. There is also new plasma beam which i haven't tried yet.

You can still play this build but i don't recommend taking it above normal difficulty. Especially not dominating.

ringring

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10:49 am »
Yeah, I thought you might be set on Metal Armor.

The problem with armor sloping is that once you stack the penalties for helmets, boots, and armor, the penalty is usually really high.  This goes double if you reinforce your armor and boots with more metal.  Since you are relying on armor for protection, the strongest armor will have a 95% armor penalty, and cut by 35%, that isn't really much of a reduction.

Weaponsmith is really good, but with such a high con its kind of a shame not to take survival instincts.  I'm not really into crit fishing all that much, but weaponsmith is good for more reliable crits while survival instincts is good if you plan on getting beat up a lot and have a lot of health.  I think stoicism is kind of crap, but you have it stacked with conditioning, so if you have enough little bites into damage like the 5% from a lifting belt, ect. it can add up.  (Though I think each one is applied multiplicitively)  I think juggernaut is generally better than conditioning if you have a high con and plan on being a tin can, but you can always take both.  Fast Metabolism is generally a quality of life feat, its neat but not really worth a feat slot when there are so many better things you can take.

Maybe you could spec into crossbow?  It'd fit into your medieval theme.  If you take special tactics you can use 2 special bolts per turn, but with your perception so low.. i dunno.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 12:22:08 am »
I know im being kind of picky its just I like to make the abilities my characters have feel in line with how I want their personality and aesthetic to be.

If you really set on sword i suggest droping metal armor and getting a tech vest or riot armor as suggested.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgUPBgMDCAYAPADCoMKgwqBQAAAAGQAAAAAAAADCoABkAAAxJCs5woxOYQYsLiplXMKNS8KzecKF4p2NBeKonAPisogF4rKJAt-_

This is a light armor sword build. This is stealth high damage sword hit and run build. You wont be standing in front of enemies much but it should still tickle you swordmage itch. This is also a crit build. Good synergy with psychosis. I don't know what crafting it needs so i left it empty.

If you're not set on swords i highly recommend sledgehammers. You lose the need for dexterity. Get high enough base damage to chew through robots. And since your strength is so high you can pump intimidation. Yell is amazing. It's gets crawlers out of stealth, it makes enemy attacks tickle you instead of killing you. Get praetorian lawgiver for louder yells.

https://underrail.info/build/?HhADBgcDAwgASwDCoAAAAFoAADJkWjIyZAAAwqAAAMKgADkkK0QNKlUKLi1QDj1FwoHCtnzinbQE4qOTBeKmuAPip4IC378

I've completed hard with this build and it was pretty fun. Cryostasis, fireball are some liberal use of grenades will allow you to approach enemies safety or keep them of your ass. Once you get cryogenic induction shattering people with a sledgehammer is very satisfying. Don't go tungsten. Craft boots with springs and you have yourself a nice compromise of mobility, survivabilty, burst damage and control. Crafting is unoptimised because i don't care.

Only problem i had with this build is crafting. Finding components was most unpleasant. Especially the boot spring.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 12:23:40 am by Guehlfirf »

ringring

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 01:16:06 am »
Would you be willing to use a spear instead of a sword?

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 02:48:20 am »
Wow, thanks a ton for the help both of you. Youve got a very good point about the shield build ringring, especially because it will increase the chance of me getting a riposte, but honestly I just really wanted to go with metal armor in particular because I love the idea of a wannabe medieval knight wandering around the Underrail killing stuff, and metal armor works the best for that aesthetic. I think ill probably go more along the lines of the build you laid out xnmh. There is definitely some things I would probably change though. First off I dont really have any desire to do lockpicking or hacking (or probably pickpocketing) and I really wanted to get plenty of persuasion points because I missed all the persuasion stuff my first playthrough. The other big one is Id probably like one more point in dex that way I can get parry, riposte, and guard because I really like the Idea of just getting free attacks. I didnt think yell would be super worth it because of the need to sink tons of skill points into intimidation, but because Im not doing hacking or lockpicking I suppose I should have plenty of points to spare. I must ask though, why did you keep the crafting skills so low of the level 26 build? That would mean I wouldnt be able to craft the best equipment I could at that point. Also armor sloping and weaponsmith seemed to me like ones I shouldnt go without. I also notice you dropped thermodynamicity, which sorta makes sense I guess if I were to go for a psychosis build that basically only uses psionics at the very beginning of battles, but it still strikes me as a very powerful ability so im not sure.

anyways, like I said before thanks a lot to both of you for the help here, I know im being kind of picky its just I like to make the abilities my characters have feel in line with how I want their personality and aesthetic to be.

Those crafting skills are high enough to make quality 160 gear (maximum before deep caverns) when you factor in the house bonus as well as hypercerebrix bonus. Thermodynamicity is not necessary when the majority of the enemy group will likely die with a thermoD into crit pyroball once you have a good headband.

This build has a couple of problems:

1) Playing 3 agility melee build is very frustrating. Doubly so for sword builds since they want to keep up flurry as long as possible you will find yourself losing stacks because of low mobility or lack of action points which you spend to get to enemy. And when you do get to enemy and manage to land flurry there is always a chance to miss and be even more frustrated.

2) Metal armor and swords are hard to make work together especially is you want psi on top. Swords really want dex because dex feats are so great. Swords want agility to maintain flurry and be able to get to enemy. Metal armor wants strength. It also takes away your movement. It also does almost nothing to protect you from psi.

3) Weak to robots. Your main damage is mechanical, fire and cold. Which does almost nothing to robots. You can mitigate it with high crit damage but it's more dex again. There is also new plasma beam which i haven't tried yet.

You can still play this build but i don't recommend taking it above normal difficulty. Especially not dominating.

Expose weakness and flurry shreds robots due to their lack of dodge, and yes I did find the low mobility a problem during my run but I found it manageable since there is often a corner you can hide behind so that the enemies will come to you, and you are tanky enough that fights will often last long enough for you to get off two crit pyrokinesis which is all but guaranteed to kill off the ranged enemies., if a few survive you can fire off a cryokinetic orb the next turn or pyro stream to finish them off.
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 04:06:51 am »
Expose weakness and flurry shreds robots due to their lack of dodge, and yes I did find the low mobility a problem during my run but I found it manageable since there is often a corner you can hide behind so that the enemies will come to you, and you are tanky enough that fights will often last long enough for you to get off two crit pyrokinesis which is all but guaranteed to kill off the ranged enemies., if a few survive you can fire off a cryokinetic orb the next turn or pyro stream to finish them off.

At this point why not go pure psi?

Ladderman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 05:49:37 am »
Maybe you could spec into crossbow?  It'd fit into your medieval theme.  If you take special tactics you can use 2 special bolts per turn, but with your perception so low.. i dunno.

Yeah, crossbow might be neat but yeah, perception would be an issue

Would you be willing to use a spear instead of a sword?

hmmmm, well the more I think about it, I think im open to the idea possibly

Well anyways, ive got something drafted up heavily inspired by the build xnmh provided, but I wasnt really sure about the whole psychosis thing because it just feels almost too focused on killing the whole encounter during the first turn which I feel might get boring. So I instead tried maybe tranquility.
https://underrail.info/build/?GQ0GAwcDCAYAQADChwAAAAAAAADCh3gAVngAAMKHAEDCh08rCFVfwowuwo1QEsKLDUQ_PWTfvw
I did start thinking a little bit about spear stuff thanks to you ringring, and I suppose if I did spear I wouldnt need as much dex and I might even be able to put a bit more into agility which, If I actually did armor sloping and like nimble or something then It might actually be possible to make it so im not totally immobile. man, maybe I should end up going with a riot armor sword build then idk. It does seem like ill definately have to sacrifice something for this to work from what you guys seem to say. Though I will say I dont really need the most optimized build imaginable, It doesnt need to be dominating ready, just good enough at least for hard. So maybe I could get some kind of build without sacrificing something but idk.

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 06:04:52 am »
Worry not king, because I've just made (almost) exactly what you're looking for:

https://underrail.info/build/?HggGBwkDBwYAWgDCoCgAKAAAeABuZEJMRwAAwqAATABNJAgrRcKMEhMqBsKNXzxLVWJ6wrZ84p-EAeKfjgTip4IC4qe-AeKyiAXisokC378

I saw others in this thread went for a more glass cannon-y high Str mindset, so I decided to approach what you want from a tankier perspective. (Yes, you can be much tankier and more mobile than what's been posted while under Survival Instincts and Fight Response; it comes at a cost unfortunately)
There are of course caveats and liberties I had to take because it's impossible to go for everything, so I went for what was strongest out of what you wanted. Because it ends up coming online only later game, you might want to consider playing on Classic instead of Oddity this time around; not that it's impossible on Oddity, but it will be more tedious at some points. Keep in mind it will take more effort to play than the other builds posted.
I'll outline how the playthrough will go and then point out why this builds works and why it might not:

>Starting out, your Strength will be 8, Constitution 5, and Agility 5. Unfortunately due to feat requirements and other factors, I could not make this build start with higher Con. If someone else wishes to, they could modify it, but I don't think it will work as good, or you won't be able to take all these specific feats that synergize.
>Use Mercantile to get two free MT spells from Quinton, and get the two most expensive ones for free. 0 crossbow skill doesn't matter since it's so early on, just savescum and roll the RNG.
>First two stat points into Agi to get Fancy Footwork in time, then all the rest into Con.
>Use stealth and stealth armor to get through Silent Isle without fighting Goliath Azure Beetles (they are probably Dominating only but you can never be too sure, plus you or someone else might want to play it on Dominating later)
>Get TiChrome armor with a regenerating vest (tankier than sturdy vest and no Survival Instincts/Fight Response yet so no need to worry about breaking the thresholds yet) as soon as you can (Blaine from Black Eels questline). It's the only metal armor that stays low enough AP without sacrificing protection. Steel is slightly better for mechanical resistance, but it is higher AP and has no heat resistance, only 5 DT. Exact amount of reinforcing plates is up to you, but keep in mind: having a metal helmet (always soft padding), a single plate armor, and metal boots with striders will give more protection overall and have some extra MPs on top, in comparison to a 3 plated metal armor, which not only is more AP but also worse protection and higher Mechanics required to craft.
>Late game you'll build full Super Steel armor with 4 plates and a sturdy vest (higher max HP means more HP below Fight Response, which means more safety while still kicking ass), SS helmet with soft padding, and SS boots with high density padding and striders, which all in all gives you near 90% or above mechanical resistance (the cap is 95%); and combined with Conditioning and Stoicism will make you nearly impervious to mechanical damage. And all that? Your AP will be only 44% once you have Body Weight Training. BE SURE TO HAVE MAXED ARMOR SLOPING SPECIALIZATION BEFORE CRAFTING THIS! It may only seem like a couple AP points but it adds up and you don't want to waste tens of thousands of charons by mistake before being ready to craft your best armor.
>If you are going to fight your way through Depot A instead of sneaking through (not recommended with lower Con, but feel free to give it a try since you'll have stealth as a backup regardless and it's on Hard difficulty), I recommend sticking with mutated dog leather armor and boots with striders (NOT tabis, you want the acid and mech DT from the leather, 1 DT seems minor but it stacks up extremely quickly) since acid damage is your biggest danger. Try to kill mutants before they can attack you with melee, or kite them (unlikely due to acid entanglement from mutated dogs).
>You have EMP nades, Expose Weakness, and an electroshock generator/energy edge on a sword for dealing with robots.
>Pickpocketing is important since it gives you guaranteed and renewable free access to All In (+3 Int for crafting, stacks with Hypercerebrix for +5 Int total, AND the +15% of crafting benches), but you don't need to max it.
>Late game, the combo of Conditioning + Stoicism + Survival Instincts + Fight Response + near max mechanical resistance is one of the best combinations in Underrail. You get extreme tanking that can only be penetrated by W2C bullets or unconventional damage types (in which case you just down some morphine and a health hypo to offset the damage the morphine gives you when it ends). You get a massive damage bonus in the form of crit chance that applies to nearly all weapons. You have a minor AP bonus that isn't as important as the other things, but since you'll be at low HP anyway, it's nice to have.

Some words of advice:

>Always max your main weapon skill every level no matter what. If you need to sacrifice 5 points on a level to be able to make it for a feat, it won't matter all that much, but 10 points and on that you don't invest into it and it will hurt, especially at such low Strength.
>Focus on stat requirements for feats first, then distribute for what you need. You can't miss out on any feat in this build or you will be forced to sacrifice an ever important feat needed to make it or break it.
>Flashbangs break after one damage hit but last two turns, while stingballs grenades don't break after any amount of hits, but they only last one turn. Stingball grenades are preferable due to Flurry and your mobility with Fancy Footwork.
>Don't sleep on Exothermic Aura, it is extremely effective versus melee NPCs like death stalkers and natives. It can act as a 25 AP cost Escape Artist (unless Premeditated in which case it's 0 AP), but it only works versus nets and not acid entanglements iirc, and it has a high cooldown. Cold spells aside from Cryo Orb are terrible; play around with them if you like but know that they're not good. Cryokinesis can be your long range option early on, but it falls off hard unless you are pure psi. On the other hand, Thermodynamic Destabilization is incredible and one of if not your best AoE damage (just know that it's high damage and hard to tank). Pyrokinetic Stream consumes all your AP and Psi Points until you have no more of either, and it can't crit, so don't use it unless it's a last resort.
>If you are immobilized with no way out, use your ranged options like MT spells or grenades if there is no one in melee range. You will be tanky so it's not the end of the world, just watch out for crossbows and snipers which will be troublesome until you hit your peak with full SS armor.
>Always, always, always go for Coretech, they have the best electronic components in the game. Protectorate or Free Drones doesn't matter since they don't have anything you need specifically in this, but I am always partial to FDs. If you're roleplaying as a knight however, I suppose you'd go for big daddy government.
>Constantine can have some components at higher quality than other specialized vendors if you use Merchant Refresh (Cheat Engine).
>Above all, these types of spread-out-stats builds need you to use every option available at times. I find Underrail a lot more fun like this, because it's easy to make a build that steamrolls the game from the very start and believe grenades, bear traps+gas grenades and TM are the most overpowered things in the game and using them makes you a scrub, but in this way, your actions are more deliberate early on even when knowing what is to come, and you are still very overpowered at high levels to take out your frustration on all that gave you trouble before.
>Once you are on your veteran levels with your best gear, you can walk into a fight with All In active and shrug off all the damage. Save it for tough boss fights you want to steamroll (like Magnar) though since it's not plentiful even if infinite given enough time to restock. I cannot stress enough that you need the SS armor I outlined before for this however, and you might still have to use a morphine.

Addressing possible concerns:

>Escape Artist needs 1 stat point and 1 feat slot that cannot be spared. See Exothermic Aura above.
>Yes, it comes online very late, and it requires the ever-tedious-to-make Super Steel, but at least the latter point can be sped up and savescummed with Cheat Engine's speedhack. As for the former, well, it's hard to combine metal armor, swords, and metathermics all in one build.
>No, Dexterity is actually VERY BAD for swords. Parry and Riposte do not offer anything meaningful and need very high Dex to even begin to come close to reliable, compared to Flurry which only needs 6 Dex and gives you far more attacks than Riposte's limited once-per-turn attack. Strength however, is extremely easy to buff with drugs for extra damage (both from skill and Str bonus) and extra accuracy. Dexterity's only special bonus for swords is critical chance, which is already plentiful from other sources, and is not strictly necessary. Swords aren't a light melee weapon so no AP cost reduction.
>Psychosis is only worth it if you also get Psionic Mania, and if you have both Psionic Mania and Premeditation, you might as well get Hemopsychosis and play a pure psi build.
>Weaponsmith and Recklessness are good if stacked with Survival Instincts but there was simply no space to get them.

Edit: I missed this but you could start with 9 Constitution and 3 Wil instead for way more HP/tanking early on but mediocre psi. Or even Survival Instincts at level 1. Still good with Premeditation since you can cast a spell at 0 AP cost. It should look like this:

https://underrail.info/build/?HggGBwkDBwYAWgDCoCgAKAAAeABuZEJMRwAAwqAATABNYiQrRcKMEhMqBsKNCDxLVV96wrZ84p-EAeKfjgTip4IC4qe-AeKyiAXisokC378

One more thing, use tungsten for your swords, it has higher damage and crit damage. Straight or curved machetes are not that different, curved ones just have way bigger crits (but you get decent crits with straight machetes regardless).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 06:35:32 am by Drizzle »

Ladderman

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 07:10:31 am »
Worry not king, because I've just made (almost) exactly what you're looking for:

https://underrail.info/build/?HggGBwkDBwYAWgDCoCgAKAAAeABuZEJMRwAAwqAATABNJAgrRcKMEhMqBsKNXzxLVWJ6wrZ84p-EAeKfjgTip4IC4qe-AeKyiAXisokC378

Holy shit dude, you are an absolute legend. Its beautiful. I was actually intending on playing classic this time anyways because I did oddity my first time through. But man, holy crap this is awesome. You were super thorough about everything too. I seriously cannot thank you enough for this it truly is what you said: (almost) exactly what im looking for. and honestly you might as well drop the almost, this looks great. Literally the only teeny nitpick I can make is that I did want to go Praetorian security this time around, so I probably will and if finding electronics really becomes a problem ill just use cheat engine to farm restocks from other merchants until I get what I need; even though I dont love doing that usually.

About the two different starting options I have, im not really sure but I suppose Ill go for the second one with 9 con because that will probably make the early game less painful.

Edit: I think ill go with a sort of middle ground between the two start options and get 5 Will and 7 Con
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 07:38:41 am by Ladderman »

ringring

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 07:57:42 am »
looks good, I see what your trying to do and it works beautifully.  Taking juggernaut later gives a much more significant boost to hp than it does when you are low level, it works as one of those early game feats you can take later in the game that scale with your level.

Just one question though, why did you take taste for blood?  You were saying that weaponsmith would be a good pick and I agree with you, but why something that relies on bleed when you don't have any bleed equipment?

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 07:59:29 am »

I saw others in this thread went for a more glass cannon-y high Str mindset, so I decided to approach what you want from a tankier perspective. (Yes, you can be much tankier and more mobile than what's been posted while under Survival Instincts and Fight Response; it comes at a cost unfortunately)
There are of course caveats and liberties I had to take because it's impossible to go for everything, so I went for what was strongest out of what you wanted. Because it ends up coming online only later game, you might want to consider playing on Classic instead of Oddity this time around; not that it's impossible on Oddity, but it will be more tedious at some points. Keep in mind it will take more effort to play than the other builds posted.
I'll outline how the playthrough will go and then point out why this builds works and why it might not:

>Starting out, your Strength will be 8, Constitution 5, and Agility 5. Unfortunately due to feat requirements and other factors, I could not make this build start with higher Con. If someone else wishes to, they could modify it, but I don't think it will work as good, or you won't be able to take all these specific feats that synergize.
>Use Mercantile to get two free MT spells from Quinton, and get the two most expensive ones for free. 0 crossbow skill doesn't matter since it's so early on, just savescum and roll the RNG.
>First two stat points into Agi to get Fancy Footwork in time, then all the rest into Con.
>Use stealth and stealth armor to get through Silent Isle without fighting Goliath Azure Beetles (they are probably Dominating only but you can never be too sure, plus you or someone else might want to play it on Dominating later)
>Get TiChrome armor with a regenerating vest (tankier than sturdy vest and no Survival Instincts/Fight Response yet so no need to worry about breaking the thresholds yet) as soon as you can (Blaine from Black Eels questline). It's the only metal armor that stays low enough AP without sacrificing protection. Steel is slightly better for mechanical resistance, but it is higher AP and has no heat resistance, only 5 DT. Exact amount of reinforcing plates is up to you, but keep in mind: having a metal helmet (always soft padding), a single plate armor, and metal boots with striders will give more protection overall and have some extra MPs on top, in comparison to a 3 plated metal armor, which not only is more AP but also worse protection and higher Mechanics required to craft.
>Late game you'll build full Super Steel armor with 4 plates and a sturdy vest (higher max HP means more HP below Fight Response, which means more safety while still kicking ass), SS helmet with soft padding, and SS boots with high density padding and striders, which all in all gives you near 90% or above mechanical resistance (the cap is 95%); and combined with Conditioning and Stoicism will make you nearly impervious to mechanical damage. And all that? Your AP will be only 44% once you have Body Weight Training. BE SURE TO HAVE MAXED ARMOR SLOPING SPECIALIZATION BEFORE CRAFTING THIS! It may only seem like a couple AP points but it adds up and you don't want to waste tens of thousands of charons by mistake before being ready to craft your best armor.
>If you are going to fight your way through Depot A instead of sneaking through (not recommended with lower Con, but feel free to give it a try since you'll have stealth as a backup regardless and it's on Hard difficulty), I recommend sticking with mutated dog leather armor and boots with striders (NOT tabis, you want the acid and mech DT from the leather, 1 DT seems minor but it stacks up extremely quickly) since acid damage is your biggest danger. Try to kill mutants before they can attack you with melee, or kite them (unlikely due to acid entanglement from mutated dogs).
>You have EMP nades, Expose Weakness, and an electroshock generator/energy edge on a sword for dealing with robots.
>Pickpocketing is important since it gives you guaranteed and renewable free access to All In (+3 Int for crafting, stacks with Hypercerebrix for +5 Int total, AND the +15% of crafting benches), but you don't need to max it.
>Late game, the combo of Conditioning + Stoicism + Survival Instincts + Fight Response + near max mechanical resistance is one of the best combinations in Underrail. You get extreme tanking that can only be penetrated by W2C bullets or unconventional damage types (in which case you just down some morphine and a health hypo to offset the damage the morphine gives you when it ends). You get a massive damage bonus in the form of crit chance that applies to nearly all weapons. You have a minor AP bonus that isn't as important as the other things, but since you'll be at low HP anyway, it's nice to have.

Some words of advice:

>Always max your main weapon skill every level no matter what. If you need to sacrifice 5 points on a level to be able to make it for a feat, it won't matter all that much, but 10 points and on that you don't invest into it and it will hurt, especially at such low Strength.
>Focus on stat requirements for feats first, then distribute for what you need. You can't miss out on any feat in this build or you will be forced to sacrifice an ever important feat needed to make it or break it.
>Flashbangs break after one damage hit but last two turns, while stingballs grenades don't break after any amount of hits, but they only last one turn. Stingball grenades are preferable due to Flurry and your mobility with Fancy Footwork.
>Don't sleep on Exothermic Aura, it is extremely effective versus melee NPCs like death stalkers and natives. It can act as a 25 AP cost Escape Artist (unless Premeditated in which case it's 0 AP), but it only works versus nets and not acid entanglements iirc, and it has a high cooldown. Cold spells aside from Cryo Orb are terrible; play around with them if you like but know that they're not good. Cryokinesis can be your long range option early on, but it falls off hard unless you are pure psi. On the other hand, Thermodynamic Destabilization is incredible and one of if not your best AoE damage (just know that it's high damage and hard to tank). Pyrokinetic Stream consumes all your AP and Psi Points until you have no more of either, and it can't crit, so don't use it unless it's a last resort.
>If you are immobilized with no way out, use your ranged options like MT spells or grenades if there is no one in melee range. You will be tanky so it's not the end of the world, just watch out for crossbows and snipers which will be troublesome until you hit your peak with full SS armor.
>Always, always, always go for Coretech, they have the best electronic components in the game. Protectorate or Free Drones doesn't matter since they don't have anything you need specifically in this, but I am always partial to FDs. If you're roleplaying as a knight however, I suppose you'd go for big daddy government.
>Constantine can have some components at higher quality than other specialized vendors if you use Merchant Refresh (Cheat Engine).
>Above all, these types of spread-out-stats builds need you to use every option available at times. I find Underrail a lot more fun like this, because it's easy to make a build that steamrolls the game from the very start and believe grenades, bear traps+gas grenades and TM are the most overpowered things in the game and using them makes you a scrub, but in this way, your actions are more deliberate early on even when knowing what is to come, and you are still very overpowered at high levels to take out your frustration on all that gave you trouble before.
>Once you are on your veteran levels with your best gear, you can walk into a fight with All In active and shrug off all the damage. Save it for tough boss fights you want to steamroll (like Magnar) though since it's not plentiful even if infinite given enough time to restock. I cannot stress enough that you need the SS armor I outlined before for this however, and you might still have to use a morphine.

Addressing possible concerns:

>Escape Artist needs 1 stat point and 1 feat slot that cannot be spared. See Exothermic Aura above.
>Yes, it comes online very late, and it requires the ever-tedious-to-make Super Steel, but at least the latter point can be sped up and savescummed with Cheat Engine's speedhack. As for the former, well, it's hard to combine metal armor, swords, and metathermics all in one build.
>No, Dexterity is actually VERY BAD for swords. Parry and Riposte do not offer anything meaningful and need very high Dex to even begin to come close to reliable, compared to Flurry which only needs 6 Dex and gives you far more attacks than Riposte's limited once-per-turn attack. Strength however, is extremely easy to buff with drugs for extra damage (both from skill and Str bonus) and extra accuracy. Dexterity's only special bonus for swords is critical chance, which is already plentiful from other sources, and is not strictly necessary. Swords aren't a light melee weapon so no AP cost reduction.
>Psychosis is only worth it if you also get Psionic Mania, and if you have both Psionic Mania and Premeditation, you might as well get Hemopsychosis and play a pure psi build.
>Weaponsmith and Recklessness are good if stacked with Survival Instincts but there was simply no space to get them.

Edit: I missed this but you could start with 9 Constitution and 3 Wil instead for way more HP/tanking early on but mediocre psi. Or even Survival Instincts at level 1. Still good with Premeditation since you can cast a spell at 0 AP cost. It should look like this:

https://underrail.info/build/?HggGBwkDBwYAWgDCoCgAKAAAeABuZEJMRwAAwqAATABNYiQrRcKMEhMqBsKNCDxLVV96wrZ84p-EAeKfjgTip4IC4qe-AeKyiAXisokC378

One more thing, use tungsten for your swords, it has higher damage and crit damage. Straight or curved machetes are not that different, curved ones just have way bigger crits (but you get decent crits with straight machetes regardless).

Good post but I disagree with a few things:

1. Only 10 strength (and having 8 for most of the game) will mean your flurry wouldn't be too accurate

2. Metathermics is kind of weak with only 7 will without either Psionic Mania for guaranteed critical pyrokinesis or Thermodynamicity for the reduced action point pyrokinetic stream

3. In my opinion Survival Instincts is not as good with swords as other builds since you might kill enemies in one hit making it harder to get flurry stacks, though it does have the pro of letting you demolish any boss that isn't immune to stun or root.