Author Topic: Can Edgar and his hunters not be so stupid?  (Read 1100 times)

just-a-random

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Can Edgar and his hunters not be so stupid?
« on: September 04, 2021, 08:36:53 am »
I'm in the fight against the rathound king as a poor lvl 14 hammerer, and these dumbases keep wasting the first turn killing a stupid alpha rathound, not even looking at the ancient rathound or the king. Why are they so f-ing stupid?.
Also, any tips on how to do this while being melee? i have tried to isolate him ouside of the room bu i can't dps him down even with the 2 extra turns dirty kick gives.

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Can Edgar and his hunters not be so stupid?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 10:52:16 am »
I never did this with Edgar but the strategy I'm usually using on this fight is turning the corridor before main room into death zone with gas grenades/molotovs/traps/caltrops. I usually do Rathound King as one of first quests after Depot A so I'm often underleveled related to His Majesty's lvl 20, so I cheese the hell out of him.

Morphine can help here as well.

Easy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2021, 03:20:59 pm »
IMO that fight is easier without Edgar and his hunters. They get in the way of grenades, prevent you from manually starting combat, and don't do all that much damage.

Instead of bringing Edgar, start the fight by moving next to the door on the south side of the room, entering turn based mode, and then closing it. Then toss a flashbang, which will give you two turns to 1v1 the ancient rathound. If you can't kill the king after that, just come back at a higher level. I've done the fight at level 15-16 on dominating runs.

Also, not sure why hunters are armed with pistols. Shouldn't they have rifles or at least crossbows?

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2021, 03:32:47 pm »
I'm in the fight against the rathound king as a poor lvl 14 hammerer, and these dumbases keep wasting the first turn killing a stupid alpha rathound, not even looking at the ancient rathound or the king. Why are they so f-ing stupid?.
Also, any tips on how to do this while being melee? i have tried to isolate him ouside of the room bu i can't dps him down even with the 2 extra turns dirty kick gives.

Also never used the locals.. Grenades can help - Flashbangs in particular. Ancient rathounds are immune, but not the King Rat. I do think it actually gets harder with "help" 😆 So load a save before you asked for it, go there yourself.
Keep the door closed.
Put down bear traps and leave just a single tile wide way out Throw down Toxic Gas Grenades (wear a gas mask as melee, wait for them to release enough to fill up the place), start combat, open the door and throw a Molotov in.
Then skedaddle back and around the corner. Little rats will run away from fire, Ancient ones will follow and usually into traps.
Then when he gets closer to your corner, kick him in the nuts and beat the shit out of him.
If 2 turns are not enough, walk back a bit and throw a flashbang on his face - if you left just one tile free of Bear Traps, big rats will walk into them again, trying to go around their dazed buddy.
If you have only 2 equipment slots, use the next turn to swap out molotov's with Taser. And the next turn you can tase and then whack him again.

If you cannot kill him in 3 turns with no evasion... you have a problem with a build. But regardless, pop Morphine and fight.
For Ancient rats you should have more movement points than them hopefully, so just hit once or twice and leave enough points to move far enough so that they dont have enough AP to hit you.