Author Topic: Energy shields rework?  (Read 1279 times)

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Energy shields rework?
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:19:41 am »
High frequency shields are extremely strong. They are very easy to obtain. They are effective against most enemies.

In all my time playing the game i never felt the need to craft medium frequency shield. I have no idea what is their use

Low frequency shields are only useful in the expedition. But i still used high frequency shield most of the time. There are so much natives that they melt you shield if you let them get close and if you don't let them get close there is no reason to have a low frequency shield. Also enemies like pirates and psi crabs exist.

Shields only require investment in electronics compared to armor which requires high strength, mechanics and tailoring.

I know it's probably not going to happen but maybe in infusion we can see some change.

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Energy shields rework?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:35:46 am »
I’ve never felt that shield frequency was that much of a problem, with higher quality components Low frequency will block everything short of a sniper. It would be more interesting if shield frequency was more skewed, like low frequency offering great protection against melee and crossbows while being basically useless against guns and grenades, while high frequency offers great protection against explosives and energy guns while doing nothing against most guns, melee, and crossbow, and medium shields offering great protection against most guns while being useless against everything else. It would also be nice if there was a reason to use modifiers besides high efficiency energy converters, like having circle wave emitter not decrease conversion rate, or having shield capacitors give a bonus effect, like releasing a damaging energy blast centered on the player when the shield breaks.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 03:38:51 am »
I still haven't found a use for medium shields.  I don't get what they're for.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 02:09:46 pm »
I mostly use low frequency, it's not only useful in expedition.

Crafting an early low frequency shield will make burrower and mutant fights much easier.

I think medium is simply for people who want something decent all around and don't bother to switch gear, which is fine in my opinion.
I'm Potoldski on discord

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 03:51:01 pm »
meta for emmiters very set which i dont like

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 02:05:21 am »
I’ve never felt that shield frequency was that much of a problem, with higher quality components Low frequency will block everything short of a sniper. It would be more interesting if shield frequency was more skewed, like low frequency offering great protection against melee and crossbows while being basically useless against guns and grenades, while high frequency offers great protection against explosives and energy guns while doing nothing against most guns, melee, and crossbow, and medium shields offering great protection against most guns while being useless against everything else. It would also be nice if there was a reason to use modifiers besides high efficiency energy converters, like having circle wave emitter not decrease conversion rate, or having shield capacitors give a bonus effect, like releasing a damaging energy blast centered on the player when the shield breaks.

I feel the same way about frequency. It would lead to people swapping shields regularly but i feel like that was original intention anyway. Completely forgot about extra components. Lower dissipation rate is completely unnecessary. And with good enough components shield will block all damage making amplified shields overkill.

I mostly use low frequency, it's not only useful in expedition.

Crafting an early low frequency shield will make burrower and mutant fights much easier.

I feel stupid now. I always waited with burrowers until i get some bio resist gear. Never thought to get a shield.

I think medium is simply for people who want something decent all around and don't bother to switch gear, which is fine in my opinion.

That's probably the purpose for medium but i never really felt the need to switch form high frequency. Even in expedition. Good high frequency shield take melee hits surprisingly well.

I also remembered the enemies never have emp grenades. Only coil spiders can emp. Giving enemies emps could make people less reliant on shields for everything.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 02:19:54 am by Guehlfirf »

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 12:57:03 pm »
I also remembered the enemies never have emp grenades. Only coil spiders can emp. Giving enemies emps could make people less reliant on shields for everything.
Enemies have and use EMP's. Obv, if you wipe them in one round they won't 😆 Protectorate Shock Trooper is one example that does.