Author Topic: area suggestions for the final update  (Read 1739 times)

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
area suggestions for the final update
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:47:20 pm »
If When you add omega station to the game, I think it would be neat if the entire station was pitch dark with no power, so you have to bring light sources/NV in order to explore.  If not omega, then a multi-level dungeon or series of maps somewhere, maybe in infusion.  If omega, have a str 20 check to open one of the unpowered gates (maybe have it be slightly cracked open now; could be str 16-20, but there's tons of str buffs now), maybe in addition to that beetle map east of the rig with a mysterious wall that totally isn't a secret back entrance.

In DC right before the labrynth there is a cave full of rathounds.  Near the labrynth entrance there is a small crevice that you have to go around; why not make that an agility check to jump over? 

In the river map right outside Oculus, an agility check to jump the river at the south end near the rail crossing train map exit.  Make it a higher one, like 10, and maybe keep that siphoner on the other side from jumping out until you get across.

There are a handful of areas in the game that repeat players pretty much always avoid unless they are playing on classic or are hunting down specific enemy drops.  Assuming you haven't done so already, I suggest making these locations for random encounter containers (like the mushroom brew bag or one of those hacking boxes, or a dead body).  The early-game upper caves burrower map is the first one that comes to mind.  The lower passages death-stalker map, the black crawler lair, hopper island, etc, would all be decent ones.

In the early game, especially in the areas closer to SGS, maybe add random encounters of rathounds, psi beetles, mole crickets, stalkers (not death-stalkers), etc, maybe only on hard and/or dom.  That crossroads map outside omega's main entrance (from GMS, one map east then north) seems like a good spot for random encounters (of any kind, not just fights) but I've never seen any there. 

In lower underrail maps with roads, there are sewer grates along the sides of the roads.  If you think it's worth your time, maybe make one of those a perception or strength check to enter, with a tunnel down there.  Maybe a short vents-style area with some random loot/enemies/traps.  Or maybe make it connect to the under-passages?

A random fragment with a mole-cricket horde/hive and a queen boss who drops a 1 point oddity?  I know mole crickets are meant to be the merest of early-game obstacles, but a surprise map that makes them kinda challenging would be neat, I think.

Adding a guaranteed, but randomized-location item/container in the early game in places repeat players usually never go to. 
Like: on the old jonas map in those little dead-ends, in the outposts behind the buildings, sgs in unmarked container in unused area, under/across from the sgs train station, etc
Tying in to that:
Have you considered unique footwear?  For instance a pair of old-world sneakers? 
Unique helmets?  Like a dirt-bike or motorcycle helmet?
Either could make good early game loot; I could see sneakers giving +2-5 to persuasion for a nice almost unique bonus. 

Speaking of unmarked containers in sgs, you could add something helpful to 1st level characters for the outposts quest, like a small amount of 5mm jhp, or a mining helmet.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 06:49:02 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: area suggestions for the final update
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:07:15 pm »
It would be nice if another zone or two was added in the mutagen tanks after the electric ladder. Like, you descend the ladder and then have to fight through a maze of fleshy barriers that can be destroyed with biocide grenades while fighting off attacks from tentacles, or you can take a longer way around that doesn’t require you to use biocide grenades. Another area could be accessed after you destroy the eye of the final boss, as a second phase of the fight. You crawl inside the hole left behind by the eye and fight against the heart, where you use biocide grenades to damage it while fending off waves of tchortlings and tentacles.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 07:24:31 pm »
I have considered a catwalks map you have to traverse while being attacked by his tentacles before reaching him; would force you to actually deal with the tentacles unlike 95% of Big T fights.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 12:17:35 pm »
Mole crickets are encountered in one area in the whole game. Aren't they widespread or supposed to be. I would like to see them added to more areas ether friendly as hoppers or buffed like mini rathounds. Acidic rathounds.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 02:20:45 pm »
There are two maps of mole crickets, and they can be found in some of the random dungeon fragments.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 09:15:38 pm »
Give some mechanism to unlock the numerous 'locked' doors that seed some locations - I know they were\are placeholders, but (at the least) make opening them in some fashion - key\card held by someone in another area, a puzzle (we've had a few of them), or some odd device found (that has no relevant purpose) when it nears one of these locks.

The reward can be simple - some super health hypos, 'the pink recovery fluid', or even maxed out parts quality in some items (imagine a 175 pistol frame...).

Amannamedsquid

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:30:43 pm »
It would be nice if another zone or two was added in the mutagen tanks after the electric ladder. Like, you descend the ladder and then have to fight through a maze of fleshy barriers that can be destroyed with biocide grenades while fighting off attacks from tentacles, or you can take a longer way around that doesn’t require you to use biocide grenades. Another area could be accessed after you destroy the eye of the final boss, as a second phase of the fight. You crawl inside the hole left behind by the eye and fight against the heart, where you use biocide grenades to damage it while fending off waves of tchortlings and tentacles.
Would certainly give us a reason to use the four grenades we're left with after getting past the door. Also, the gas itself could debuff tchortlings and tentacles exposed to it (and the heart). At the very least, I'd like to see the biocide grenades influence the boss battle in a more substantial way.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 09:42:12 am »
I don't like the tentacles, they're a poorly-done enemy just because of how much of a waste of time they are. Does the game really expect you to dump 1000 damage on one tentacle only for it to revive in a few turns? Only a few builds can regularly deal massive damage by the time you face the final boss. The final boss should be reworked.
But I do like the idea that you could kill the brain/heart yourself, that destroying the eye merely incapacitated it long enough for the Faceless to finish the job but you can also finish it off yourself.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2021, 06:42:40 pm »
How about more dex checks for floor vents?  Like the one in abyssal?  Could be randomized locations.
*eurobeat intensifies*