Author Topic: Mm little confused?  (Read 4625 times)

Aria

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Mm little confused?
« on: February 16, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »
I started fresh had not played since Nov, so when I seen the new major update from last month thought it might be time to give it another go. 

Initially I deleted my old saves and started from scratch wow very tough going, combat was not the main issue here as a hoarder being unable to sell my loot was the issue... far as I could tell no one would buy anything or am I missing something?

With the exception of currency everything else in my inventory was grayed out when talked with the merchant, is it suppose to be grayed out and I just need to find out what they buy through trial and error?

Aria

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Mm little confused?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:56:25 pm »
Never mind I figured it out guess reason why everything was grayed out was merchants consider most items garbage! ;)

Aria

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:10:14 pm »
I noticed that bit about that they were buying when I went back nice addition! :) 

(Ty for the link btw)

Here is another question,  the metal plates needed for bear traps they can only be purchased or looted correct? Also the metal plates seem rather expensive for such a early trap 600 or so according to the wiki?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 08:08:56 am »
Here is another question,  the metal plates needed for bear traps they can only be purchased or looted correct? Also the metal plates seem rather expensive for such a early trap 600 or so according to the wiki?

They can be found as loot and you get 5 traps out of one plate.

Aria

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 05:01:57 pm »

They can be found as loot and you get 5 traps out of one plate.

Well that is quite awesome...thanks! :)

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 12:30:34 am »
Well, I've got armors and weapons and some really nice stuff myself, and no one wants to buy any of it. Doesn't matter if I try to sell it at the armory, at Engineering, or what they will sell me armor or weapons, but they refuse to purchase anything from me. It's absolutely mind boggling, the economy in this game has gone from way too easy to get money, to get your garbage out of my store you worthless vagrant. Personally I've always been willing to go the extra mile to drag things back to town and sell them to the proper merchant, but either I've encountered a bug where the only things anyone will buy from me are ammo at the armory and repair kits in engineering, or this change in the economy is frustratingly heavy handed to the point where I don't even feel like playing the game.

While I understand that the economy was far too easy to build up a huge surplus of currency in before, this isn't the answer, and frankly it's a somewhat baffling direction to go in. If I can't sell armor or weapons at the armory, or anywhere else, why then should I even acquire them? I guess if I'm going to play through the game again to experience the new content I need to play it like Hack,Slash, Loot and just leave anything I'm not going to use on the ground.

*edit* I've sense been blessed by the ability to sell not one, but THREE of the crossbows I had accumulated, at the armory (it was almost like they were a weapons merchant). I still want to go on record saying that I really intensely dislike the new system, one where they offered less money for anything they weren't looking for would be much less nonsensical. If I walked into a pawn shop and the guy behind the counter told me he was looking for diamonds, sapphires, and emeralds I would tell him I was looking for a perky blonde sell him my old guitar.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:17:34 am by Clawdius_Talonious »

Aria

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 06:00:56 pm »
@Clawdius_Talonious

I initially thought that also but after revisiting the merchants I can see who will buy what, and while money is not growing on trees it is coming at a comfortable rate.

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 06:30:54 pm »
I think it was also said somewhere that in a future patch merchants will take one more item at a time?
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:52:40 pm »
I just hope it also includes the option to simply disable how much they will buy. hopefully disable carry limits too but that is a minor thing compared to the merchant problem.

Clawdius_Talonious

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:58:14 am »
it's just that, since the last time I played through the game, weight limits and shopkeepers becoming picky were both implemented. This kind of left me with the need to haul more stuff around while simultaneously not being able to haul as much stuff around. I like the oddity XP system, it's actually a very interesting take on a system that is necessary but typically all too trite, so something that allows multiple approaches and doesn't punish the player for ignoring quests if that's the route they choose is actually quite impressive.

I just really think that the merchants should perhaps just offer you considerably less for items they weren't looking for, this would help you get that last few credits out of transactions if you had to go that route, or let you clear inventory on items you knew you wouldn't use. I've got half a dozen crowbars in my locker, I know I'll never sell them with this current system and for whatever reason that really really bugs me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 06:36:38 am by Clawdius_Talonious »

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 05:19:10 am »
If they bought items at a lower price it wouldn't matter to me to be honest. I just woldn't sell it for any less than the prices i should normaly get, this is why I just hope Styg includes the option to just disable the merchant buy limit.