Poll

Which of the following seems the most reasonable

pistols gain melee scaling in melee range
0 (0%)
Allows pistols to use all unarmed feats (unarmed special attacks have range of 1)
1 (20%)
Option 1 and 2
2 (40%)
allows pistols to use a melee feats that have a special tag, (let the devs decide)
1 (20%)
Allows pistols to use all melee special attacks from unarmed tree (no "buff" feats)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: Gun Fu Buff/Rework  (Read 1301 times)

A_Clever_Monocle

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Gun Fu Buff/Rework
« on: November 22, 2021, 04:29:28 am »
Gun fu is a meh feat not really worthy of the slot (unless you just want the bump so versatility scales just a little bit better), so I'm figured I would propose something a bit more fun than what is currently offered

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Fu Buff/Rework
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 07:37:39 am »
I don't like hybrid weapon types feats that only benefit one weapon. Additionally, pistols already benefit from point blank range due to evasion reduction and buffing it further is unnecessary. Would like to chage Gun-Fu into something like "Each pistol shot reduces AP cost of next melee attack by 1 AP and each melee attack reduces AP cost of next pistol attack by 1 AP, stacking up to three times", with 5 spec points increasing AP reduction to 2 AP.  So you actually have to use both melee and pistol to be effective, while pistols can also benefit from this while shooting at distant enemies.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 03:54:18 pm »
its only combat skill feat increase in the game that gives 90 skill max.Guess how much is 90 skill?

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 07:30:40 am »
> Guess how much is 90 skill?

It's 25% more damage. Tops. At the expense of feat, 5 spec points, maxing melee and being at melee range.

DieGo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 01:33:37 pm »
I'm thinking something like options 1 and 2, but offensive passive feats would be proc'ed through an unconditional special melee attack (with no cooldown), given to pistols by this feat, that works the same as unarmed. Some sort of CQC attack, like in MGS. Straight up letting pistol shots proc combo might be a bit too strong but I think this could be acceptable. Admittedly, I haven't played unarmed yet so I don't know how strong or weak this approach might be but it's sort of naturally balanced by the fact that you still have to get the other feats for it and if it's still too strong/weak you can tweak the damage of this unconditional special attack or the gun skill bonus. Maybe it deals less damage than normal unarmed because it's not a straight hit, or maybe it deals more damage because it's the butt of a pistol and it's hard.
As it stands, you can feel the difference in damage Gun-Fu makes in melee range but I would absolutely trade it for other perks that give me gun damage everywhere if that's all it gives me. Gun-Fu should affirmatively change your playstyle or at least give you more options.

Lestat

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2021, 08:25:31 pm »
The issue with Gun-Fu is that pistols are super buff already when it comes to close range: 40% evasion cutting in melee means 95% to hit is trivial even with less than maxed Per, no Versatility needed. I would cut it out of an optimized build, but its still not worthless. The real issue is that it feels like some super feat that will enable some melee-only pistol playstyle, but the most important part of close pistols being viable isn't a feat, its just naturally on the gun, so it can be a letdown.