Author Topic: Allow "sidesteping" through immobilized characters in combat, at extra MP cost  (Read 1030 times)

Wr4i7h

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
The idea would be to make immobilized characters in doorways or tunnels a hindrance instead of a complete movement blockage in combat, to reduce cheese. Something like sidestepping through a tight spot, the animation could even show the character's sprite moving sideways next to the immobilized one. Here are a few ideas to limit the effectiveness of this mechanic:

• Obviously, no 2 characters can stay in the same square in the map, so this should only be for moving through.
  • Extra movement/action point cost of moving through an immobilized character.
  • Some characters could block doorways even when incapacitated, with a special feat or heavy armor.
  • Maybe limit to stepping through 1 character at a time, ie, 2 incapacitated characters in a row would still block a doorway.
  • Or maybe limit to sidestepping through as many characters as MP/AP allows for, but only for 1 row per turn.
  • Sidestepping only allowed through friendly characters, ie, you can only sidestep through incapacitated characters in your faction?
  • Sidestepping only allowed on higher difficulties?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 03:33:26 pm by Wr4i7h »

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
It should just be a mechanic of the game, not a feat.  Visually it could be like an agility check where you just teleport from one spot to the next.  I agree it should require extra mp/ap and they cant be in the same tile.  Hopefully Infusion gets around this somehow (pun intended).
*eurobeat intensifies*

Wr4i7h

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
What I mean with the feat was that some characters could have one to represent their bulk, so they remain impassable even when incapacitated.

Stalagmite

• Noob
    • View Profile
"Leap" ability would be nice. And the higher the agility the less AP/MP it costs.

Wr4i7h

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Visually it could be like an agility check where you just teleport from one spot to the next.

I disagree, it should be integrated into normal pathfinding so that NPCs can also benefit from it, which is the entire point - preventing cheese. If the only way to reach a certain destination is through an immobilized character, pathfinding should show that. If not, it should avoid going through it, but still allow it if you explicitly click the incapacitated character's spot first, and then the final spot you want to go.

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
  • Strike em quick, lightning fast.
    • View Profile
    • https://bitbucket.org/N1MH/starsector-mods/downloads/
Great suggestion man, i made this like 2 years ago and nobody cared, probably because my writing was weird.
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.