Author Topic: The Invincible Bloodpsican: Hemopsychosis, Crits, Damage Reduction, Metal Armor  (Read 13776 times)

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
MT TM Tungsten armor with Forceful Innervation: https://underrail.info/build/?HggDAwkDDgYAAAAAAAAAUgB8AHNuD1BVwqBGwqDCoCgAT2JQK8K_LD0qZV9VwoQIwojChyFmwrjCt8K8w5zDlsKewp3CrsOZbOKitQLipbIC4qyDAuKwuAXisLkE378

MT TM TiChrome/Super Steel variant with 12 Int (lower for more Wil or not as you wish): https://underrail.info/build/?HgcDAwkDCwoAAAAAAAAAUgB8AHNuD1BVwqBGwqDCoCgAT2JQKyw9KmVfVcKEwojCh0UkCMK4wrRmw5bDnMKewp3CrsOZbOKitQLip4IC4qyDAuKwuAXisLkE378

TC PK TiChrome/Super Steel variant with 17 Wil 6 Int: https://underrail.info/build/?HgcDAwkDDwYAAAAAAAAAUgB8AHNuD1BVwqDCoMKgRigAT2JQKywFKmVfVSHChAhFJGfCu8K3ZsOcw5bCnsKdwq7DmWziorUC4qeCAuKsgwLisLgF4rC5BN-_

This is the third time I'm making and playing a build in this style, so I feel it's refined enough to post. What this iteration has compared to my last two is the addition of Forceful Innervation, freeing up stat points from Int to put into Wil (since tincans don't have problems with lack of skill points) while still having more options overall with spell slots. You can use a high Int edit or opt into TC PK instead of fiddling for FI, but all that Int does aside from spell slots is give you useless overflowing skill points.

Starting stats are 6 Str, 9 Con, 10 Wil, 6 Int. You'll need to put two points into Strength to be able to wear tungsten armor or only one if you prefer TiChrome/Super Steel (don't worry, you won't have to be eating rathound barbecue constantly, read on), and the rest into Willpower/Intelligence; the order is up to you. I'll personally allocate my first point to Wil then the next two to Str.

Before finishing Depot A, you'll be using Survival Instincts as an under 30% HP glass cannon to grant you a massive boost to damage that's much needed on Dominating. Certain fights (like against mutants) will require you heal up to 100% HP beforehand however, if you don't want to cheese with bear traps. After Depot A, SI becomes more of a bonus at low HP rather than a mainstay, and Psionic Mania and Focus Stims take over for your crit chance needs.

Always max Metathermics/Thought Control and Temporal Manipulation/Psychokinesis. MT/TC will let you deal with nearly all NPCs, and TM/PK provides Distortion/Electrokinesis against robots (and bosses in the case of TM). Leave whichever schools you're not specializing into for later in the game. In my FI build, I'm only maxing TC as a bonus tool in Neural Overload so I don't have to reload on fights against Doppelganger spamming TCunts. No reason not to take a little bit of Persuasion with high Wil and its Mercantile synergy, 20 base by the time you reach Junkyard will be enough for the early game. Since we're on that topic, Mercantile is extremely important for getting high quality components, so get it to 79 base ASAP: with the Persuasion synergy and Jon's Special, 105 effective Merc is reached for the highest special merchandise check. Max mechanics, electronics, and tailoring until their respective thresholds as well, since you'll be crafting metal armor and psi headbands. Whether to get Pickpocketing or Hacking first is up to preference; I like Pickpocketing early on far more than Hacking, but I usually leave it around 80 base until I have free skill points and switch those points to Hacking or something else. You *could* get Lockpicking instead of one of either, but it's the second worst Subterfuge skill, especially on high Strength builds that can crowbar vents already.

For Depot A, get siphoner leather and eventually mutant dog leather armor and boots; acid threshold will let you tank through many attacks in this dungeon; the obvious choice really.

Once you deliver the circuit board, rush to Hecate Research Outpost and get the Power Glove. As full psi builds don't have any good weapons to equip until Expedition, this frees you up one stat point from Strength. The other slot will eventually be occupied by Hoddurform when you're TC/PK or Spirit Staff if MT/TM, and you'll switch to it when attacking. A single caveat: if you end your turn without the Power Glove selected, you'll have a small action point malus on the next turn due to not meeting the metal armor Str requirement, so don't forget to switch back! Don't be afraid to switch at the start of the turn though, as the malus won't affect current AP, only maximum AP.

Now that you can wear metal armor, craft yourself a tungsten (or TiChrome from Blaine) one with a regenerative vest. Not only is it tankier than a sturdy vest, it also powers your spells through Hemopsychosis. Reinforced metal boots with high density padding is also a given, but in the case of TiC/SS, soft padding and springs will benefit you more. You also should have crafted a MT headband with psi cost reduction and crit damage, as well as a TM headband with a Distortion filter in case of mass robots. Doctor's Belt is the best to wear with all the meds you'll be chugging.

Juggernaut is taken at level 12 since that's around the time you obtain the Power Glove. If you want to do the Super Steel armor variation of the build, Optimization is replaced with Armor Sloping, and you take Neural Overclocking at level 30 instead. LoC is also switched out for Nimble in the MT TM version. The tattoo is up to you, I like the QoL of Fatso myself. Protectorate should be better if you want something more substantial though.

Your first four spec points must go on Hemopsychosis cooldown. The less you have to rely on the low regeneration, low max points of psi, the better (especially so if you're playing with Forceful Innervation). After that, maxing health cost reduction helps out quite a lot. Psionic Mania and Premeditation cooldowns + LTI and Stasis will let you have effectively a second "alpha strike" turn. Thermodynamicity really helps with AP usage, sometimes so well to the point you're left with no HP to cast more spells with some free AP. If you're playing with Armor Sloping, that specialization's best gotten as soon as you finish Hemopsychosis cooldown. And there's not much to say about TC PK, as it's very straightforward.

If you're wondering how exactly to get Forceful Innervation on a new character, and also get the content added after Legacy like Booth or the Utility Tower, it's not too complicated. You'll have to make a new character on the Legacy version, go get the psi pill, save, then load that save on the current version, which will give you FI. Then, export the character and start a new game with it, and optionally reroll if you get Coral. And of course, unless you want to cheat, don't grab anything before exporting because it carries over.

Edit: replaced Continuum Ripple for Locus of Control, as it lets you have psi inhibition immunity without the need for a Reinvigorator.
Edit 2: replaced Fight Response for Psychoneural Optimization. At level 30 you'll almost never start a turn under 25% HP, and Optimization slightly helps with Plasma Beam spam when you have the Cyclop's Eye. Added siphoner leather armor suggestion as that helps fight your first mutant dogs before you have their leather. Also moved spec points from Thermodynamicity to max Hemopsychosis cost reduction, as you're not worried so much about AP cost but health.
Edit 3: added TC PK version, it's easier to play and more straightforward than MT TM due to not needing as many slots.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2022, 04:25:39 am by Drizzle »

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Any chance for a demonstration video?

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
I'd love to make one, but unfortunately, I play on a bad computer so it can't handle recording.

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Knifegaf graciously made a highlight video for the build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3enMJsrP63g

Now for a bit of extra analysis since I've played it to its fullest potential. As seen in the video, there is a bit of a weakness against late game melee enemies, but between your high mechanical resistance and high damage output, you can shrug off the occasional guy that gets through. A good option is casting cryo orb behind the NPC so that they'll get hit by the shard and it won't reach you, though it's only safe if done in a straight line. Throwing it into a diagonal runs the risk of a stray shard and you're not high in cold resistance.
Crit immune enemies are also a pain, so are those highly resistant to both energy and heat damage. Nagas are nearly impervious to everything MT can dish out, but if you've got PK maxed then you can spam Electrokinesis, and otherwise resort to stacking distortions; and let's not forget Mk3 EMP grenades. A 4 plate TiChrome armor and reinforced boots should make you nearly immune to plasma damage as well, so you can use Hemopsychosis as much as you want to against them.

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
*snort*
*Snort*

Loyso

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
This build is everything I wanted from this game! I've spent weeks trying out weird stuff with tin cans from pistols to unarmed to psi, but it always felt a bit off. But THIS! This is a revelation! Cheers man! Quick question though: why not 10 con for stun immune feat?

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Thick Skull is not that important if you have access to Locus of Control
Valor's favorite poster

Hooch_Sauce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
So several questions: I haven't really dipped my toes into the other psi schools besides good ol TM and PK, so what other psi abilities do you use? Also, do you believe forceful innerveration is that vital>

Durian

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
So several questions: I haven't really dipped my toes into the other psi schools besides good ol TM and PK, so what other psi abilities do you use? Also, do you believe forceful innerveration is that vital>

FI is there so the build can reach the highest psi skill threshold while still having max psi slots, as the MT TM playstyle requires all of them. You can use the 11 will 12 int version instead, it trades off some damage for not having to rely on FI.
The TC PK version might not be as safe, TC range and cooldowns are big limiting factors, but you don't need as many slots that way.

Personally I recommend the 11 will 12 int version, it is the most balanced and MT TM is fun. Then try the FI build to experience maximum damage. You can also spec for Tungsten armor for the immobilized turtle experience, but that 1 point in Strength will come from your Will, so you'll need to cut back on skill points elsewhere to make up the difference. Luckily this build does not lack on skill points.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 11:47:44 pm by Durian »

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile

With MT I do Cryokinesis/Pyrokinesis/Thermodynamic Destabilization/Cryo Orb and Pryokinetic Stream until it gets replaced by Plasma Beam when available. I switch in TC for high HP bosses like in the Arena, namely Neural Overload/Fear/Mental Breakdown. And of course Electrokinesis spam against robots.
I played it another time with just 6 Int, no FI, and all psi schools besides TM maxed and honestly? It's not vital, but it is nice. Those 3 extra slots from FI could be used for LTI/Contraction/Stasis but I didn't really struggle without them.

FI is there so the build can reach the highest psi skill threshold while still having max psi slots, as the MT TM playstyle requires all of them.
I wouldn't say it's required, since you still get 5 slots at 6 Int. But again, it is nice to have.