Author Topic: Tin cans: Aesthetic-Mechanic upgrade for Metal Helmets.  (Read 1895 times)

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
Tin cans: Aesthetic-Mechanic upgrade for Metal Helmets.
« on: June 01, 2022, 02:38:51 am »
After some time playing Underrail, there was something I always wanted to have, customizable metal helmets, using different frames to build a metal helmet, yielding different visuals and stats.

For example, a ballistic protective metal helmet frame, geared towards giving protection against hostile gunners, it's visuals could be similar to the armored heavy gunners from the anime movie Jin-Roh. Perfect stats and aesthetics to gun people down.
A relatively lightweight metal helmet frame, priorizing low AP and low weight while staying relatively protective, with visuals of, for example, the helmet Judge Dredd
A heavy, thick, melee oriented and general protection metal helmet frame, maybe with visuals similar to F.E.A.R.'s Heavy Replica soldiers. Bonus points if looks intimidating and/or uncanny.
Another metal helmet frame oriented for snipers, cumbersome and not as protective, but having no PER/detection penalties, and bonuses with sniper rifles and precise general gunplay. Tin can sniper is something that should be a thing.
Lastly, an odd looking frame, relatively weak on physical protection, but effective at guarding the user from Thought Control shenanigans. Dont have any example for this one

This would be nice to have in Infusion, because more seasoned players would want to look as what they are, absolute murder machines.
*Snort*

Crows

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Tin cans: Aesthetic-Mechanic upgrade for Metal Helmets.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »
> Lastly, an odd looking frame, relatively weak on physical protection, but effective at guarding the user from Thought Control shenanigans. Dont have any example for this one

Get out of my head, Charles!

deanisi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2022, 10:52:43 am »
Dude, that's exactly what I was thinking. I always wanted more variants for helmets, like adding googles or a gasmask.

Also Jin-Roh armor design is very intresting with it's modular backpack and multilayered defences (like two helmets, external and internal). I hope that Styg will take more simillar inspirations and we will get some cool tactical armors and mods.

WeaselChiseal

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2023, 08:57:04 pm »
So this might be considered reviving a thread a bit but not like many things are alive here anyway.
I think adding a "gas filter" item with its own quality is what would turn metal helmets from "garbage" to "pretty lit" and sounds like a great idea. Aegis were using that kind of tech afterall and their helmet and lab boots are a must have for dealing with locusts.
Which ironically would give the thing most active slots, energy core for lamp, metal type, padding and a gas filter. More than a psi-band with, psi enhancer and two upgrades of choice. Still I would love some changes to metal helmets. I think they fall behind goggles and psi-bands a lot. And I think we all were tempted to make a full tin-can man at some point.