Author Topic: Dev Log #31: New Meds, Psi, and Weapons; Core City Sneak Peek  (Read 10772 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Hey guys. The development of the next city-state in the world of Underrail is in full swing. Core City, the metropolis of the South Underrail, is the largest of the urban areas this game will feature. Here's a little sneak peek:

I've added more firearms: one new pistol, one new SMG, two more assault rifles and two more sniper rifles. Also added two new crossbows. One model from each of the weapon categories (pistol, SMG, crossbow, etc) will be only available through crafting. This doesn't mean it will necessarily be stronger than the others, just different.

I've tweaked the base stats (damage spread, crit chance, crit bonus, precision, etc) of each of the firearm and crossbow models to diversify them further and make the choice between them more meaningful when crafting or purchasing. I won't be adding any more craftable firearms or crossbows to the game (though we will be adding unique ones), instead I'll be adding more weapon enhancements you'll be able to add to the mix when crafting your weapon of choice. These new enhancements will only be available through crafting, meaning, they won't appear (or will appear extremely rarely) on randomly generated gear.

Additionally, in the future I will be adding more character feats that will play on strengths of thoughtfully crafted and enhanced custom weapons. E.g. if you make a character build that gives you a number of ways to perform on-demand critical hits, you'll want to stack critical damage bonus and use a slow hard hitting weapon; while on the other hand if you have feats that give you extra on-hit effects (such as flat damage bonus) with critical hits and have high dexterity you'll want to use quick light weapons with high critical hit chance.

In other news:

• Items
    • Added throwing knives - they are fairly inexpensive and their damage scales with your throwing skill. While they are unlikely to replace your primary offensive skill, they do act as a nice ranged supplement for high dexterity characters, especially when you use the poisoned ones.
    • Added electrical pistols - a type of energy pistol that shoots electrical bolts that stun the primary target and jump a few times (similar to electroshock bolts)
    • Added two energy weapon enhancements - only applicable through crafting; one increases the critical damage bonus, while the other increases the special attack damage
    • Added 5 new crafting only meds and appropriate organs and chemicals that are needed to produce them
  • Creatures
    • Added the deadly coil spider
  • Psi
    • Added Thermodynamic Destabilization (metathermics) - You tag a creature with a debuff. If you kill it within 2 turns, it will explode, dealing heat and mechanical damage to everything around it. The amount of damage dealt scales with the metathermics skill and the amount of health the creature had when it was tagged
    • Added Enrage (Thought Control) - Enrages a living target for up to 4 turns which causes it to turn hostile to everyone.
    • Reworked Force Emission (Psychokinesis) - No longer provides extra range, but works with fist weapons as well.
    • Added Telekinetic Proxy (Psychokinesis) - Moves the telekinetic proxy from its current location to the specified location, dealing mechanical damage to everything in its path. If the proxy is not present, is too far away, or doesn't have a clear straight line path to the destination, a new one will be spawned. Telekinetic proxy will mimic your single target telekinetic psi abilities and effects (currently Telekinetic Punch and Force Emission) if the target is within its radius. The proxy lasts 3 turns, but the timer refreshes with each move or mimic.
  • Bug fixes
    • Fixed the overly heavy boots (will only affect the newly generated/crafted items, the old ones will remain heavy)
    • Crawler poison component now correctly named (was "Cave Ear" poison)
    • Plot items can no longer vanish when attempting to transfer them to the trading window (oops)
    • Opportunity feat now works with wrestling/tacklling (they are considered slows)
    • Balaclava repair category changed to fabric
    • Armor penalty calculation rounding errors fixed (Nimble feat should now apply properly in all cases)
    • Bleeding wounds from boots/armor enhancements will now stack as they should
    • Weapons of wheeled bots and turrets now considered firearms so vests should work correctly against them now
    • Dirty kick now triggers hostilities as it does in real life
    • You can now reload chemical pistol from the quick reload bar like other weapons (cannot unload, that's inteded)
    • Combo feat will now properly stack when using armors or boots that provide extra damage
    • You can no longer use Expose Weakness to kill The Beast or other stuff that's immune to mechanical damage
    • No longer possible to beat up some creatures to the point their "armor" degrades

That's all for now. Cheers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 11:31:01 am by Styg »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #31: New Meds, Psi, and Weapons; Core City Sneak Peek
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 04:31:12 pm »
That actually sounds pretty massive.
Neat.
Definitely looking forward to all the nifty new toys.
Will old saves work, or should I hold off until it's deployed? ;)
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Sakuragi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 05:13:11 pm »
This is awesome. New psy. Yummy.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 08:31:04 pm »
Will old saves work, or should I hold off until it's deployed? ;)

Similar to the previous patch, you will be able to visit the new areas and do all the stuff there, but you won't necessarily have access to the new stuff and changes of the existing areas. Also it isn't outside the realm of possibility that we might have to restructure some quests or NPCs involved so minor incompatibility bugs are always a possibility, unfortunately.

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 02:47:23 am »
Awww. I guess my first chance experiencing the joy of punching things from far away will be my last. Now that all fist weapons get the damage boost, I can't be too mad.
More psy abilities are good. I'm happy that throwing knives are being added because I was beginning to think that single target throwing weapons were needed.

Barrelsoup Chef

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Gamer since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:48:14 am »
This looks great, even tho I am still not really done playing through foundry, I can't wait to explore Core City!

Quick question, will the level cap still be 20 or will it increase next patch? I wish I could gain more levels at the moment (for the feats).
Gameplay, that's the reason why I PLAY a GAME

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 12:54:22 pm »
Hmm, thinking about that, what reasons remain not to use those fist weapons, then?
Edit: I realize that the higher attack speed paires well with the increased damage from PSI, when playing a high dexterity character, but the point cost might end up being prohibitive.
Maybe allow PSI to affect thrown weapons?
Guide your grenades, wrap knives into a forcefiled (or charge them with electricity)?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 09:49:25 pm by UnLimiTeD »
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 11:04:11 pm »
That lead to future where all chars will be using PSI. Char-clones. No, thanks.

Also - GREAT news, yammy update. )

DMonin

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:16 pm »
Awesome!

I hope it is not the end of the game? There will be more cities after Core City?
Richard Moreau, Vault 8

Ivan Bajlo

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2014, 04:56:48 pm »
Awesome!

I hope it is not the end of the game? There will be more cities after Core City?

There will probably be few more locations, developers have barely scrapped the surface with Untied Stations and Protectorate plot and if level/quest editor gets included in final release this game will become endless since anyone will be able to expand it in all directions.  8)

Besides I doubt anyone would mind some nice content rich expansions, hopefully this game will turn into nice series like Avernum.