Author Topic: Cryoliquid Blob Pistols outside of MT+Chem build?  (Read 1674 times)

Kekus Maximus

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Cryoliquid Blob Pistols outside of MT+Chem build?
« on: September 21, 2022, 08:10:25 pm »
Seriously is there any other use for it? I know it can incap a bunch of enemies with Cooked shot for up to two turns, but the chance to freeze for every individual enemy is ~0.5 at best. I've been trying to come up with a cryopistol build for a while now. Most of these ideas are pretty stupid and CLB pistol feels like a fifth wheel (which is also square). Like Temporal distortion build that also freezes enemies, even though acid pistol would definitely do better for that kind of build. Or a semi-pacifist build, probably knife+stealth+CLB, which is very dependent on having advanced catalysing belt just after completing Depot A. Clearly TC is a superior option for almost guaranteed incaps, and/or TM with slows, stasis and LTI can provide way more options for a pacifist playthrough.

There is no reason to use CLBp as a primary weapon on a pure chempistol build, when ABp does much more damage, that is also of an "exotic" kind, so very few enemies have a good resistance to it; while quite a few leather armor and tacvests in the wild have some resistance to cold. A few stacks of warmed up status pretty much kill both the damage and special effects of CLBp, and this status effects is relatively common, especially in populated areas. ABp + CLBp together don't make a lot of sense, because entanglement is generally better than chill and freeze; chill is basically useless when an enemy is very likely to be immobilised anyway. The one use for it is probably killing sea wyrms, and I'm not even sure about it.

Also there is no reliable source of crafting component for CLB pistol as far as I know. There is like 3 merchants that always have AB component, and one that always has incendiary component, but cryo? No one has it. Ok, Marty, Constantine, mechanics, Gort and firearm merchants SOMETIMES have it, but good luck getting at least one cryogenic collector of good quality in multiple merchant runs.

If I am missing something, please enlighten me.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:13:24 pm by Kekus Maximus »

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Cryoliquid Blob Pistols outside of MT+Chem build?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 11:18:16 pm »
I agree. They were always very underwhelming to use and their efficiency has diminished severly after adding warmed up debuff. Acid + Fire solves everything.

Unless cryo gun is severly buffed I do not see a potential for it.

hilf

• Oculite
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2022, 04:53:02 am »
It's good for fighting serpents and keeping jet skis intact for loot.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 11:15:20 pm »
Cryo pistol is best to stop things that are immune to immobilization like Greater Coil Spider, same w/ cryo chem trap. They are also decent in jetski battle. They are not your everyday workhorse but are suppose to be situation specific niche weapon.

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 10:06:40 am »
each pistol is situational, cryo for example is only pistol being able to deal with serpents

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 01:20:38 pm »
You can still fear serpents, they just dont stay on fire.
*eurobeat intensifies*