Author Topic: help with unique 44 mag build for dom  (Read 3131 times)

Hooch_Sauce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
help with unique 44 mag build for dom
« on: February 16, 2023, 01:37:42 pm »
title. Basically I want to play high cal
pistols without just being one turn man. Accordingly I plan to avoid using .44 hammerers after i get w&s.
stats: 5 str, 5 agl, 10 dex, 3 con, 7 per, 3 will, 7 int. plan is pump dex to 18.
skills:
melee- want to go versatility + dex route and use gun fu so likely maxed.
throwing- want at least some, though not sure if CC is going to be enough of a issue for grenadier/three pointer to be worth though i would have enough dex.
guns: 70 at least for bullet time.
chemistry: likely no more than 20 (just for nade crafting in early game) because I plan to use plasma nades/nail bombs.
electronics: 120ish for reasons above, I want emp + plasma nades shield and goggles. no real shockers here i would imagine.
mechanics: prolly low. I hope to avoid relying on mechanic crafting for once with this build, wearing jkk jacket/infused rathound and tabis (infused bison ig).
biology- want 63 ish for focus stims, maybe jumping bean and such.
stealth- 50-60.
hacking- 80 base. Should have enough effective for dlc checks, correct me if I am wrong.
lockpick- 80 base. Same as above.
mercantile- 80, could go lower because persuasion should allow it to be high enough effective with boosts from items to pass a majority of checks
persuasion, 80ish
 tailoring: 100 for reasons described previously.
temporal manipulation: 55. Stasis is cool and all but don't want to rely on it.
evasion- maybe, want feedback on this one.
dodge- prolly 30 for escape artist.

feats roughly in order:

(aimed shot: i wonder if its needed.) want feedback. hit and run, gunslinger.  point shot. recklessness- def spec this one after hit and run. vesatility. rapid fire. gun fu. Bullet time. premeditation. sharpshooter. Not sure what to take beyond this beyond fitting steadfast aim in there somewhere, possibly taking expertise and fatal throw for even morer ap. Maybe execute also but idk.

to any who made it this far, thank you for putting up with my godawful format and possibly questionable build choices.

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: help with unique 44 mag build for dom
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 08:29:49 am »
For one, your build doesn't even work because hit and run requires 7 agility and sharpshooter 10 perception. Also, if you want to use magnum unique pistol instead of crafting, then 7 int is useless since you can't get bonus from gun nut feat, it's better to stay at 5 int. Also premeditation is useless for TM if you don't use stasis since contraction has no ap cost (and it's going to be probably the only skill you'll end up using in 95% of cases)

recklesness spec is bad, don't take it, you're better with bullet time or versatility
expertise is very bad don't take it ever with pistols
Instead of aiming for base skill values, use Underrail Builder https://underrail.info/build/ to check how your build would work ingame. 80 base lockpick with 18 dex would for example be effective of over 160 which is colossal overkill, the highest lockpick checks are 130 and those only open boxes with random loot in DC, it's probably the best to stop at around 100 effective (counting huxkey/jkk suit bonus).

Here's a Versatility Pistol build that i made that you can check to have a better general idea:
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUQBwMHAwVGOgDCoB7CoDJRMi0AMsKCDyhkAAAANwAAAAEXKxlZHls6wofDksKjw5FOJhHCsw0x4rWuCuK9hAXfvw
5 str for steadfast aim, 7 per for kneecap shot, 7 agi for hit and run and 5 int for versatility, rest in dex.
45 biology for focus stims, 127 throwing to reach the accuracy cap on throwing grenades, 140 electronics for crafting high-tier energy shields and for one useful check in DC (can be lower if you want).
Evasion is optional dump stat if you have enough points late in the game
Feats mostly in order, aimed shot and gunslinger as first feats obligatory.
Execute is good but it also takes few feat slots. Combine it with taser or dirty kick to one-shot most stunnable enemies

With some minor adjustments i used this build myself on DOMINATING so it definitely works, even without psi.
Valor's favorite poster

Der Zooner

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 09:10:43 am »
Paposik pretty much nailed it with the criticism, one thing I'd add is a mention of the extraordinarily high AP cost of using magnums, especially without rapid reloaders.
You will be relying heavily on your one turn of bullet time to get enough lead downrange to make a good starting dent in any encounter, and you'll want to have as much AP during that turn as possible.
You'll also want a low(er)-AP finisher for enemies that only just survive your powerful attacks, which is where specced fatal throw comes in - either that or a grenade once you've softened up a group of enemies.
Since you have 18 DEX and a lot of skill points to spare, going all-in on throwing probably won't do you any harm.
Just for the sake of variety, I'll include a build that uses Survival Instincts for high critical chance at the cost of special attacks.
Whether you think it's worth the pain of dealing with Survival Instincts is up to you, though I have beaten DOM with a similar build.

https://underrail.info/build/?HgMQBwkDAwVGwqAAwqAAAFA8IAAAI2kRMmQAAAA3TgAAK2IxF8KjGVs-w5JRwodLw5HCs-KouwPita4H4r2EBd-_

Lack of special attacks means you have a few options open for feats depending on how you want to specialize.

Kujo qtaro

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2023, 11:43:38 am »
Dirty kick/taser go well with execute, not sure how good it is,
but i took it anyway.
In my .44 pistol run i relied heavily on stunlocking and high
mobility, so i don't know about your low AGI.

Hooch_Sauce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2023, 05:00:54 pm »
https://underrail.info/build/?HgUQBwMHAwVGOgDCoB7CoDJRMi0AMsKCDyhkAAAANwAAAAEXKxlZHls6wofDksKjw5FOJhHCsw0x4rWuCuK9hAXfvw
love it. What were the minor adjustments? Also I am adding persuasion so my gun isn't the one doing all the talking, and wanted to ask. Is 80 effective enough to reach all the checks (with modifiers from items)? Thanks in advance.

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 07:42:15 pm »
love it. What were the minor adjustments? Also I am adding persuasion so my gun isn't the one doing all the talking, and wanted to ask. Is 80 effective enough to reach all the checks (with modifiers from items)? Thanks in advance.
One of the changes i had in my build was that i actually didn't use psi at all, so my build was a bit weaker but it wasn't very noticeable and I was still able to kill basically everyone anyway, including Faceless Commander and Four Naga Protectors. I also had a bit of both mercantile and persuasion but i removed it in this sample build so you could make choice for yourself. Also i had higher mechanics because i used crafted guns.

In regards to persuasion, if you join JKK and got the jkk tattoo from Booth, you can gain +30 persuasion with no investment.
Highest persuasion checks are: 110 effective (including item bonuses) to skip one fight in Deep Caverns at the end of the game.
105 effective (including item bonuses) to convince Captain Grim if you join the pirates to let you do all raids alone.
80 effective persuasion alone should let you pass almost all checks there are, at least the important ones. With 80 effective persuasion, crafted heartbreaker boots (+10), jkk suit (+15) and jon's special food (+5) you will practically be able to pass everything. There is also white dude foodstuff which can be bought from Drag and Drop bar in the waterways which gives temporary +15 persuasion so if you truly want to min-max, you can go as low as 70 effective without modifier items.
Valor's favorite poster

Hooch_Sauce

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2023, 05:13:40 am »
Thanks bunches for the details. Cheers!