Author Topic: New ways to learn Psi Abilities  (Read 1390 times)

Amannamedsquid

• Zoner
    • View Profile
New ways to learn Psi Abilities
« on: April 25, 2023, 11:14:44 pm »
Playing Underrail, I've noticed that there are 2 main ways to learn psi abilities:

1. Finding (or buying) a psionic mentor device.
2. Paying one of the four trainers you meet at the start of the game to teach you the basics.

There is one exception however; Bilocation, which can only be obtained by attuning yourself to the mysterious pillars at Silent Isle. (If your stats aren't high enough, you will likely be killed by 5 psionic clones of yourself). Learning to rift-walk also sort of counts I suppose.

We will likely see the return of old psionic abilities in Infusion and it is certainly possible that there will be new ones. What I'm hoping to see is maybe some more unique ways to obtain certain psi abilities. For example, maybe taught to you as a potential reward at the end of a quest or questline, attuning with a powerful psionic creature or entity, witnessing some sort of anomaly and then being able to duplicate it yourself, having it implanted into your brain by some sort of experimental device or mutagen, maybe even locked behind one of those infamous puzzle quests. (Let's face it, there's gonna be another one. Hey, somebody had to say it.)

It would be a way to separate the more common and well known abilities with some that are more unique/powerful/interesting.

Thoughts?

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: New ways to learn Psi Abilities
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2023, 12:29:52 am »
Yep, love it.
*eurobeat intensifies*

WeaselChiseal

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 09:20:47 pm »
I believe it would also be better at guiding players to actually find these abilities in a more atmospheric way. Like listening to gossip in a settlement about some wild anomalies could mean exploring this can reward you with some powerful abilities. Instead of the most powerful ice psionic ability being “in that shelf in core city”. If you don’t get lucky and don’t know this beforehand you may spend a lot of time handicapped because you decided to explore Foundry first for an example.

Kujo qtaro

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 03:03:36 pm »
TC could even get bizzare "dream" sequences, not too dissimilar to the one Ezra puts you through.

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 10:47:11 pm »
You mean like motion? :)

Meladonimi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2023, 06:49:08 pm »
Fist of all - quests.
Like Ezra one with cerebral trauma psi. But in same time quest must show method how realizate it or just be maximum atmospehric.
For example - termo aura. Show some burning comlex or settlement, where you only way to survive - move fast and go sometimes throuth fire. Show in dialog, what fire almost step like human and haunt character. And in end some philosopic ending. Will be this fire own wish, or viev of soul of character. Or maybe other leviathan.

Now abouth new methods - in underrail character may know some abouth past, abouth mytagens and others stuff, but mostly it is never helps again, just for 1 quest for all game and maybe for some tolk in end of game. I think will be good idea, change backstory of hero - like for scientist, or doctor will be helpful some mutagen research data for new stuff and psy. And psy good conect with it.
Like psy lightning - maybe character with high medical and psy skill will understand how posible keep some electro charges in own body and dont die in process. And idea for it, may come in moment when character read or just cook eel, or examine/take samples of coil spider.

Plus i think will be good adition if in dialog's will be used some unepected ways to use of using psi. Maybe throudh some dialoges will be opened some psi, becouse enlightment of character. Like oportunity tolk not only with high ones, but leviathan as well.

And lastone. Psy eye, or second second sight buff of juice maybe will be a key to obtain new psy abbility.