Author Topic: Evasive Maneuvers - Diminishing Returns?  (Read 4806 times)

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Evasive Maneuvers - Diminishing Returns?
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:15:33 am »
I am using a Knife character and I came upon the idea of a Feat combo with Sprint, Fancy Footwork and Evasive Maneuvers.

I stabbed someone with a Jackknife again and again and again, getting a massive amount of movement points and then at the end of my turn I activated Evasive Maneuvers, getting a bonus of 420 Evasion to my base evasion (which was already around 50).

First thing that happened upon my ending the turn: crossbow guy immediately shoots and stuns me.

Now I'm not putting this in bugs, because it's not like it's impossible-

But it is so unlikely, given my understanding of evasion that it simply shouldn't have happened.

So I come to the obvious question:

Is this bugged or does it suffer from diminishing returns?

-

Another thing: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=860.msg4843#msg4843

If it says it lasts two turns, that implies that its effect would take place in two separate turns. If a turn comes when it would be applicable (opponents' turns) and then it passes and then upon their next turn it is no longer in effect this means it was in effect for one turn.

The reason this isn't applicable for some other things like, for example, Expose Weakness, is that that is something that is applicable during the turn it was used, not afterwards like Evasive Maneuvers. You can activate Expose Weakness at the beginning of your turn and then benefit from it during the same turn. With Evasive Maneuvers it is only applicable during opponents' turns. Therefore you cannot claim that it was active for two turns if it only gave one turn of bonus evasion.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:43:52 am by bushwhacker2k »

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Evasive Maneuvers - Diminishing Returns?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 08:51:59 am »
Is this bugged or does it suffer from diminishing returns?
Neither. The chance to evade/dodge attack is capped at 60% or 65% iirc.

Of course, this works the other way as well, so an enemy using evasive maneuvers won't drop your chance to hit to 0% even if their evasion is hundreds above your weapon skill.

Evasive maneuvers is great if you use heavy armor and rise your evasion just enough to get the feat.
But not of much use to characters that heavily spec in evasion.
Couldn't be more counterintuitive. :-\

I seeee!

Yeah, not adding more than 35 points in Evasion then.

So this is really only moderately useful... I guess I shouldn't have been expecting temporary immunity anyway.

-

Additional question: Is a temporary bonus from something like Evasive Maneuvers penalized by armor penalty? Will the bonus from it be subject to the 95% penalty like regular evasion?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 08:55:09 am by bushwhacker2k »

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
Well, the question is if fancy footwork is penalized by the armour.^^
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 06:14:53 pm »
Well, the question is if fancy footwork is penalized by the armour.^^

Ah, yes, this too!

bushwhacker2k

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:44:23 pm »
Okay, I just had to test this to make absolutely sure.

Evasive maneuvers always gives you 3x move points as evasion, regardless of armor penalty.
But of course you have lower move points to start with if you're wearing tons of metal.

Going to test this myself, but what you've said so far makes sense, thank you.