Author Topic: Palladium leglets  (Read 1040 times)

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Palladium leglets
« on: September 09, 2023, 02:54:23 am »
Wiki lists only one https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Palladium_Leglet . However, there is yet another - and it's in Living Quarters level (level 5) of South Gate Station. Just two rooms to the west from player character's room.

The door is to be hacked, and it's a "red hand" door. Problem is, a nearby camera keeps spotting me however i try to hack the door sneakily. I recon no amount of Stealth skill would help, since cameras ignore Stealth skill altogether. Tried to destroy it from 12 tiles range, but then a guy from the security room near the elevator runs in to check what's going on. Avoiding him gets him back to his room, but then player character is flagged as a criminal and SGS gets hostile, starting with the other camera right near player character room.

Is there some other entrance to that fancy room with the thing? I don't see any. What do i miss here? %)
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Palladium leglets
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2023, 02:50:48 pm »
Thanks! Hope it'd work. Completely forgot this thing exists, yep.  :-[ Shame it's still way way ahead - able to hack that door at level 8, even before getting into Depot A, so this thing is a loooong time to get yet. Sigh. %)
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

fubaxqr

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2023, 05:33:12 pm »
Thanks! Hope it'd work.
No

The door is to be hacked, and it's a "red hand" door. Problem is, a nearby camera keeps spotting me however i try to hack the door sneakily
Impossible without Burglar feat

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 10:40:10 pm »
The door is to be hacked, and it's a "red hand" door. Problem is, a nearby camera keeps spotting me however i try to hack the door sneakily
I definitely do not have Burglar feat, yet i definitely hack this door no problem. Wanna a video of it? Going with Int 8 char though, if it anyhow matters. And using mk2 haxxor.

Ah, wait, you mean it's impossible to remain undetected - not impossible to hack the door. Man, words are haRD! Sory. :D

As for camera hacking tool from Phreak, i never tried it on this particular camera (and only tried it a few times at all), so i wouldn't know if it'd work. But i still hope it would, as it'd make the thing at least somewhat desirable - for such locations only delaying camera recognition would work, and nothing else. Maybe there's some witty way to use it there. At least something to hope for! :)

P.S. Oh, just got another idea. If Phreak's tool wouldn't help, then maybe i could cast a force field so it'd block line of sight of the camera to the door and hack it while the field lasts? Going to get TK anyhow this run. Gonna try. %)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 10:47:44 pm by Fins »

fubaxqr

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 12:44:11 am »
As for camera hacking tool from Phreak, i never tried it on this particular camera (and only tried it a few times at all), so i wouldn't know if it'd work. But i still hope it would, as it'd make the thing at least somewhat desirable - for such locations only delaying camera recognition would work, and nothing else. Maybe there's some witty way to use it there. At least something to hope for! :)

Phreak's device is useless for "non-provoking" theft as it only slows alert speed (which makes NPCs go investigate what's wrong), not camera detection or turning speed. If you're seen by a camera when hacking/lockpicking and it turned yellow before you successfully unlock, it's already late, and you will receive "Your actions have provoked hostilities" message in the feed.
It is only useful in combat or stealth to run past camera and avoid attracting the guards/sentry bots and, subsequently, all other enemies in the zone.

P.S. Oh, just got another idea. If Phreak's tool wouldn't help, then maybe i could cast a force field so it'd block line of sight of the camera to the door and hack it while the field lasts? Going to get TK anyhow this run. Gonna try. %)

All enemies and cameras can see through force field

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2023, 04:03:12 am »
I didn't use force field for a long time, so it's possible i remember wrong - but i do remember force field not allowing to see what's behind it. So i went to see if wiki article says anything about it - and it says this, quote: "The barrier also serves as an obstacle and prevents from targeting anything behind it".

Did i mention woRdS r hard? Yeah i did. Sigh...

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2023, 07:55:14 am »
Wiki lists only one https://www.stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Palladium_Leglet . However, there is yet another - and it's in Living Quarters level (level 5) of South Gate Station. Just two rooms to the west from player character's room.
It's random.
Valor's favorite poster

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2023, 03:06:46 pm »
It's random.
Most interesting. Then it means either it's a big-time coincedence i had a highly rare random loot item rolled into a container behind very tricky-to-get-past-without-trouble door, OR random loot generator has some kind of a system which weights "how hard is to loot this container" vs "how rare loot should be in it".

Is it the latter? I usually do not believe in coincedences. :)

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2023, 09:29:39 pm »
Actually, possible without Burglar feat - just found a way to do it. Better yet, all it requires - is rather mediocre Stealth skill, and of course enough Hacking to hack the door. Here's how:

- go to the red-hand door right next to elevator in "private quarters" level of SGS, wait till nearby camera looks away and hack this one door (more than enough time as this one camera does full 180);

- enter stealth while having 340+ effective Stealth skill (having 140 hard-point Stealth, Rathound armor, balaclava and stealth device with 7 Agility already gives 359 to me), open the door, then lockpick power box before the guard in this security room detects us (orange eye is OK, red is not), exit the room;

- reenter the room, open the bowerbox and flip the switch before the guard detects us;

- go hack and loot whatever rooms in the level, as both cameras are now off.

PRofiT. :D

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2023, 06:12:24 am »
It's random.
Most interesting. Then it means either it's a big-time coincedence i had a highly rare random loot item rolled into a container behind very tricky-to-get-past-without-trouble door, OR random loot generator has some kind of a system which weights "how hard is to loot this container" vs "how rare loot should be in it".

Is it the latter? I usually do not believe in coincedences. :)
It's RANDOM LUXURY ITEM. It literally says so in the image I attached. This room ALWAYS has some kind of luxury item, it can be anything from the list (there are 9 non-unique luxury goods) such as gold ring, palladium leglets or ceramic watch to name a few.
Valor's favorite poster

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2023, 12:25:48 pm »
Man, i heard you the 1st time alright, why caps? Random it is. What i didn't know is whether that room always spawns a random luxury item, or it's also a random thing - some playthroughs it does, others not. Now you answered that perfectly, too. Thank you! :thumbsup: