Author Topic: Questions about Rathound King's conversation  (Read 830 times)

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Questions about Rathound King's conversation
« on: September 12, 2023, 04:02:29 pm »
When speaking with Rathound King, there's that line asking him to teach player character what he knows about traps. I never got anything outta it - he always declines. But then i never kidnap Sarine (is that the name?) to become Rathound Queen. Maybe that's why? And anyhow, what exactly can he teach and what exactly should be done for him to teach anything at all? Or is it just some leftover dialog line which never does anything?
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

PaposikG6

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about Rathound King's conversation
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2023, 08:05:23 am »
He doesn't offer any training at all. He says in dialogue that he will never share his knowledge with anyone except his heir (and player is not blood related). If you kidnap Sarine he just gives you his spare Rathound Suit.
Valor's favorite poster

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2023, 03:40:53 pm »
Rathound suit, he gives even without kidnapping the gal - it suffices to just convince both him and camp Hathor to make a truce: get the quest to kill him, then go talk with him and convince him to propose a truce, then go back to Hathor and convience the boss there to accept the truce, then go back to King one more time and tell him Hathor agrees to the truce. Right after that, he gives the suit.

As for training, it really looks like the King would offer some sort of Traps skill training - there is a gialog line with him asking about traps in general, and another one specifically asking the King to teach player character. So you see, it's strange to me that 2nd line exists, if the only possible outcome for trying the latter, in 100% cases - is "no i won't teach you". It'd be enough to have just 1st line, then. Just feels weird, man. This is why i suspect it's either a bit of cut content, _or_ there is actually some way to actually have King teaching us something.

Perhaps some special feat, like "Hunter" which camp Hathor's boss teaches after truce is made - but perhaps the King's special feat only happens if we side with King and wipe out camp Hathor whole? This would be kinda logical, you know.
our lifestyles, mores, institutions, patterns of interaction, values, and expectations are shaped by a cultural heritage that was formed in a time when carrying capacity exceeded the human load. (c) William R. Catton, Jr

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2023, 06:43:37 am »
There are no lines or feats like this in the game files.

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2023, 07:01:55 am »
Thank you, 12, for checking it. Always best to know for sure, yep. :)

Phr3ak

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2023, 05:32:37 pm »
As for training, it really looks like the King would offer some sort of Traps skill training - there is a gialog line with him asking about traps in general, and another one specifically asking the King to teach player character. So you see, it's strange to me that 2nd line exists, if the only possible outcome for trying the latter, in 100% cases - is "no i won't teach you". It'd be enough to have just 1st line, then. Just feels weird, man. This is why i suspect it's either a bit of cut content, _or_ there is actually some way to actually have King teaching us something.

The reason those side options exist is most likely much simpler: they serve as "stupid" questions, making the king bored and refusing to speak with you further, which locks you from peaceful resolution of his conflict with Camp Hathor and Sarine kidnapping.

Fins

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2023, 05:37:55 pm »
If memory serves, couple playthroughs ago i took both options and was still able to make the truce. Perhaps together with stupid joke though the would, not sure. But then, what's "stupid" about asking about traps and to teach what he knows? Ain't like he got "no teaching in this building!" in big bloody letters painted over his porch, you know? %)

Phr3ak

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2023, 06:49:09 pm »
If memory serves, couple playthroughs ago i took both options and was still able to make the truce.

Yeah, those two options are not enough, but if you ask more side questions, you'll notice that the king becomes increasingly annoyed and says something like "stop asking stupid questions". IIRC his reaction depends on the number of such questions asked, not the questions themselves, but it's been a while since my playthrough.

Perhaps together with stupid joke though the would, not sure.

IIRC that joke is special, it always makes him hostile.

But then, what's "stupid" about asking about traps and to teach what he knows? Ain't like he got "no teaching in this building!" in big bloody letters painted over his porch, you know? %)

That's why I used the quotes :)