Author Topic: Dev Log #42: Updating Old Areas  (Read 11950 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Dev Log #42: Updating Old Areas
« on: November 09, 2015, 01:09:17 pm »
Hey guys, since we got back from vacation we've been developing at a rapid pace. The game is mostly done, save for some dialog and certain amount of visual components for the final event. Once that is in, the game will be playable from start to finish.

Parallel to bringing the main story line to the end, we're doing a final pass through all the areas and updating them visually and adding more flavor dialog. Some of early areas were done ages ago and were badly in a need of a rework. The biggest offenders were SGS and Junkyard, which now both got new looks:

Anyway, the game is really close to completion now and we should be entering close beta phase soon, when we might call upon some of the old dedicated fans to help us test it. There won't be any updates for the public version before full release, though, but that isn't that far off now either. Stay tuned.

RailNomad

• Zoner
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Log #42: Updating Old Areas
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 04:41:38 pm »
New tiles look great! Good job.

revanbh

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 06:13:13 pm »
Reworked areas look amazing. Can't wait to play through them. Really hope the game is slated for December release.

Akachi

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:26:32 pm »
Oooh, closed areas in the SGS now accesible :)

MetaSieg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:57 pm »
Finally a new dev log, and look at all the new shiny things. OK serious time, the reworked areas are looking very nice. And I can finally see what's in some of those locked off areas in SGS.

Altos

• Scavenger
  • Epeli for "World's Most Helpful Person" 2013-20XX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 09:32:41 pm »
You can't imagine how happy I was to open the forums today and see that shiny new Dev-Log with all it's awesome pictures!  ;)
Everything looks fantastic, guys; I can really tell that you've been working your asses off improving everything. If this is what SGS and Junkyard look like now, I can't wait to see how some of the other areas have been polished and updated!!  :P

I hope the closed beta goes well for you guys. Keep up the incredible work! Hopefully everything will go well enough that Underrail can be released this December with no concerns!  :D

UnLimiTeD

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:18 pm »
oohhh, that's some sweet stuff.
I have to admit I never really noticed some of the more plain areas, but the difference is telling.
Nicely done.
First person to give Styg Karma.

I hereby declare that I love the oddity system and am in favour of shop and carry limits.

CaptainMajor

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 04:56:48 pm »
Thank you for your work! Awesome game)

mercy

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 10:59:12 am »
Styg you are doing an amazing work with your team. This game will surely be a huge success on Steam. Just time the release date so no major RPGs come out and Underrail will be a classic!

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 05:08:21 pm »
You can't imagine how happy I was to open the forums today and see that shiny new Dev-Log with all it's awesome pictures!  ;)
Everything looks fantastic, guys; I can really tell that you've been working your asses off improving everything. If this is what SGS and Junkyard look like now, I can't wait to see how some of the other areas have been polished and updated!!  :P

I hope the closed beta goes well for you guys. Keep up the incredible work! Hopefully everything will go well enough that Underrail can be released this December with no concerns!  :D

Keep up the good work, guys!!

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 02:38:03 pm »
The higher density in detail helps mask the lack of drop shadows, so combined with the coloured lighting it doesn't look as flat and disconnected anymore as it used to. Everything has a nicely authentic mid-90s CRPG feel to it (more so than e.g. Serpent in the Staglands, which looks kinda more like an unfinished Infinity Engine-game played on ultra-low resolution). Love it :) .
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.

VaeliusNoctu

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 02:56:50 pm »
Super, I can not wait. This RPG is one of the best, if not my favorite of the RPGs.

When it came only to the junkyard I have played through the game already four to five times. After the Institute of Tschort was realesed I then completely played with my old character and three new characters the game.

Now I just need to decide who I use to play through the Final.

A question: Can I use my character importing? Or it is advisable to start from scratch?

greets

VN

LightningMonk

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 02:30:26 am »
There will be no option for importing characters from earlier builds. Everyone has to start fresh.

Diggfinger

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 09:10:19 pm »
Underrail is listed as "coming soon" on GOG.com!!!

TΛPETRVE

• Scavenger
  • Obey the Schnibble!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2015, 10:11:24 am »
I have to wonder, are other elements such as the fire sprites given an overhaul, too? Since the game got a notably softer look now through the more detailed environments, the somewhat crudely drawn flames are probably sticking out like a sore thumb (see the fire pit barrels in the screenshots).
But the problem is, indeed, it zlots at Vlurxtrznbnaxl.