Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 119870 times)

TrueNeutralEvGenius

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Polymath. Misanthrope. Nihilist. Nonconformist.
    • View Profile
    • Twitch channel
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2016, 02:51:56 pm »
Totally welcome. Yeah, I guess there is need to hold actual information and descriptions. I can help with that, if you want. Anyway at the moment making 100% walkthrough of Underrail and streaming it, so it will be not hard for me to fix all descriptions and stuff. Already sent e-mail about entering wiki to Styg, to admin@ adress. So I don't know, see for yourself, should I wait till he answers or you can as since you are online.
Connoisseur of Tragedy, Cyberpunk and Dystopia genres.
Streaming 100% analytical walkthroughs and exploring of Underrail, System Shock, Fallout, Arcanum, Deus Ex, D&D like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and other great & my favourite games: https://www.twitch.tv/trueneutralevgenius

Hal900x

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2016, 10:45:41 pm »
That wiki is a tragedy of missed opportunity. In a game like this with hardcore fans, so many deep mechanics, etc. I would expect a wealth of info.

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2016, 12:05:52 am »
Wikis are built by their communities, so you too can help it towards that wealth of info by joining the editors. Or a least tell us what you want improved.

I agree there's a huge missed opportunity factor, mostly because Styg couldn't open the wiki for public editing when Underrail was released. It could be in much better shape if anyone could've easily edited and added little bits in the past 4 months.

As always, if anyone wants to help with the wiki - just let me or Styg know and we'll make an account for you. (I sure hope the registration won't be like this forever...)
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character builder and other Underrail utilities: underrail.info (thread)

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2016, 11:11:19 am »
Do you know Underrail lore well? If so, the wiki needs your help!

The faction and character articles (anything lore related, really) need some passionate people writing about them. I'm okay with organizing and maintaining content, copypasting data and keeping the game mechanics stuff up to date, but at this point it seems I will never get any lore-related writing done. :P

I also just took the first baby steps towards a gargantuan task of eventually having an article for every notable character of the Underrail universe: compiled a rudimentary list of mentioned-only characters. Do you see anyone missing? Want to write something about any of those people? Know the full names of various Biocorp scientists?
[[Underrail Wiki]] // character builder and other Underrail utilities: underrail.info (thread)

Lucifuga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2016, 09:29:37 am »
Do you see anyone missing?

Mareth states General Korn ordered CAU to Fort Apogee
Probably a member in United Stations' Council of Five

Lucifuga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 19, 2016, 07:13:51 am »
More names in no particular order
Including last names of some listed characters with no entries
A few on the wiki were misspelled

Hanging Rat
Mad Killian - Link

Protectorate
Sergeant First Class (SFC) Timothy Holloway - Link

SGS
Jo Hendrix - Link

Dude
Shoe Devourer - Unmentioned-Critters ;) - Link
Ebeneezer - If you think about it all mentioned-only characters could be Ebeneezer in disguise - Link

Core City
Van the JKK receptionist - Link
Dave Strelnik - Link
Stjepanicije - Link
Dr. Bronson - When Worlds Collide? - Link
Drilleg - Critter entry - Link

Free Drones
Alvin Bate - Link
Corben Trenton - Link

Foundry
Judge Taylor - Link
Todor Sallywatch - Link
Oliver Micas - Link

Tchortist
Rassophore Pavel - Unlisted on the character list
Efreitor Gromis - Link
Captain Sagan - Technically BioCorp? - Link
Investigator Peter - Link
Thomas Harding - North UnderRail/Dis - Link Link 2
Critters locked up in cells with Psycho could use a mention Link Link 2 Link 3

BioCorp folk
Mica Maas - Janitors matter too - Link
Marcus? There was also a Bobby... - Link Link 2
Slavkovic mentions great scientists - Nikolev, Frasard, Clarkson - Unsure if all linked to BioCorp - Link
Dr. Robin K. Frasard - Link
Louis Thorne - Maybe Core Ciry - Link
Sally McKinley - Link
Mark Reed - Manager/Jailor/Hunter? - Link
Colonel Salik - Link Link 2
High Representative - Unsure if person or group - Link

Misspells
WilbertJ. Samuelso - Space the two out please
Curator Nenna - Link
Sandy Kester - Link
Takao Oshiro /

Project Eos could use a mention in the BioCorp page
I noticed the page has Patterson grouped with the Bunker personnel but it sounds like he wasn't there from the e-mails

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 19, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »
Hey, at this point you definitely need a wiki account even though you never asked. Check your PMs and welcome aboard.

Hopefully I can leave the character articles to your and ‎Abscisin's care. :)

magras

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2017, 11:28:45 am »
Hello to everyone.

I want to fill the wiki with more precise information about components quality, skill requirements and price.
Price and skill requirements scaling I can inter- and extrapolate from a few samples, but I have no idea how to find out true quality ranges.

Currently there are two types of articles for components: with ranges and with examples. Both looks wrong for me.

For example plasma core article specifies 1-130 quality range, but I've found one in my pocket with quality of 131 (I've never hunted components and even don't know where I've got it).

Another example is pneumatic hammer, which shows example with quality of 42 and mechanics requirement set to 42, which doesn't match what I see in the game.

I see 2 options:
1. Just update an examples.
2. Fill ranges with what I personally saw and add ? or ≤ ≥ to indicate that range is probably wider than that. But I'm not going to grind stores, so resulting ranges will be pretty inaccurate.

So what do you think? What is better: simple examples or potentially misleading ranges?

PS Inserting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guillemet caused cropping of all following text in my post. That was unexpected. =)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 11:49:03 am by magras »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 03, 2017, 12:02:54 pm »
Goddamn spambots, and Styg's away...

@magras
Yes, both are wrong and outdated so please feel free to update them. Many of component examples use old component stats from alpha, back when crafting requirement was usually 100% of quality, not the 80% it is today for most parts. And the quality ranges may also refer to qualities that were normally attainable in alpha.

I suggest going with 2 and updating all components to quality ranges if you can, so readers know how the component behaves at any quality and at least a rough idea of what qualities they can expect to find.

AFAIK practically all dynamic components (excluding animal parts) are available in the same quality range, but I don't know the exact upper bound of stuff you can find in DC. Somewhere around 160, I reckon.

edit: The quality parameter of item infobox only takes numbers and interprets whether it's a single example or quality range. It won't understand anything more complicated like angle quotes. :) Here's an automated list of all components that still have examples: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Components_with_example_stats
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 12:08:39 pm by epeli »

magras

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 03, 2017, 01:43:39 pm »
Looks like I can not just add any symbol into quality parameter, because template uses it as expression (specifically expressions like {{{quality|1}}} < 0) to determinate is it range or single value (btw clever hack). Documentation says that there is an options to check or ignore errors during calculating expressions, but it will lead to accepting any text as quality range. It can be solved with regex, but https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/Help:Extension:ParserFunctions#.23expr doesn't mention any regex parsers. Keep in mind, that I have no experience with writing wiki templates, so it's just my speculations.

Anyway http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Template:Infobox_item is in semi-protected mode, so I can't edit it.

So currently I have no options to mark range as inaccurate.

PS Sorry, didn't saw your edit. =)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:46:13 pm by magras »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 03, 2017, 03:42:08 pm »
For the record, you can edit semi-protected pages once you have made a couple of edits and become autoconfirmed, which you should be by the time you read this.

But I don't think there's a need to edit the template in this case. The wiki infoboxes use the game's old font which doesn't even have fancy special characters like that! I left the old font in as a throwback since some players preferred it and nobody complained about it on the wiki side. Though once all components have a quality range, we could probably deprecate the whole #ifexpr hack.

magras

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 03, 2017, 06:36:43 pm »
I updated all components that I had on my character in at least two exemplars, but there are much more left.

Still I think that my ranges are very misleading. Probably later I'll try to add expression error check to the template and question marks to ranges to emphasize that it's just confirmed values.

Elhazzared

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2017, 04:00:08 am »
How unfinished is the map in the wiki? I've just stumbled into a non mapped place which is... not nice to say the least.

There is an uncharted passage going west of platform 1 (next to south railroad outpost). I've confirmed that it then turns north, then north again, then it continues north with an exit east as well. The east exit has a north passage and a passage into the tunnels. Havent checked the north passage from there. In the underground the north passage continues with a passage north and it has a ladder that puts you besides the railroad into a place seemingly full of lurkers (and I hate lurkers!).

I know there is an 3d map but honestly, I cant figure how to use it properly, it's so much easier to use a flat map.

EDIT: After exploring it I found it leads to platform 2. through it you fight lurkers, crawlers and even a black crawler for good measure. As for the earlier exit east with a passage north and a tunnel entrance, I don't know where those lead yet.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 05:10:09 am by Elhazzared »

epeli

• Wiki Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2017, 06:08:26 am »
Probably later I'll try to add expression error check to the template and question marks to ranges to emphasize that it's just confirmed values.

Sure, go ahead. Make a test template if you're uncertain about syntax. Note that the hack is used in four places on the template: for the example box, component quality row text, skills required row text and the automatic maintenance category.

Goood workan on the edits too. I'll be patrolling the edits and confirming the skill requirements if there's a need. Similar components usually have the same requirements. All rifle frames have same 96%, psionic components 80% and 28%, and so forth. AFAIK they're always full percents, no permilles. And numbers in Underrail are usually rounded down.*
* Technically, styg seems to often directly cast float calculation results to int, so the decimals are simply discarded. This also means numbers can be 1 smaller than expected due to floating point errors. E.g. 100 quality component * 0.28 skill requirement = 27.999996185302734, which gets truncated to 27. No real gameplay significance, but good to know when working with stuff like this.

How unfinished is the map in the wiki?

Which one? All maps are fanmade content and provided as-is. Their style, correctness and overall quality is up to their authors. The list is sorted by last update and maps older than latest new zone additions will be moved to maps/outdated.

As far as I know, xammurapi's 3D map is the only complete map of Underrail. He also appears to plan to keep his map updated.

magras

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:49 am »
Thanks for conformation. I figured this out later and used [req / quality, (req+1) / quality) to estimate the coefficient. And again having more component exemplars helps to narrow this estimate a lot. I'll redo my first calculations this evening. (Probably this method will help others if they decide to join my effort)