Author Topic: Steam Score Woes  (Read 5287 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Steam Score Woes
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:56:05 am »
Recently we've been having a bit of trouble with Steam reviews from people with... um, questionable gaming abilities and we took a hit to our "recent" score. This usually happens after big sales which attract... um, a more diverse crowd, but this time it's particularly bad. So if any of you guys owns the game on Steam and enjoys it, we would greatly appreciate a positive feedback to bump up the score to its rightful place. Don't get overzealous and do something against the Steam TOS, though. Thanks.

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Score Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 12:08:20 pm »
No worries.

I will leave an honest review of the game. Needless to say it will be thumbs up, but considering the current gaming fashion, I just don't think it's a game for everybody... and I think it's fair of me to leave a fair warning. What do you think?

But I wouldn't get too worked up if I were you, because a decent amount of the game's popularity comes from friends telling friends, far as I can tell.

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 12:56:50 pm »
I still have no review for Underrail (because I perceive it as serious business but feel I can't give the game review it deserves) but now I will do.

and I think it's fair of me to leave a fair warning. What do you think?

You see, it's a negative thing.
Instead of telling "this game is not for everyone" just describe what this game is and things that make you think this game is not for everyone, without mentioning it.
"Not for everyone" make emphasis that it's a fundamentally flawed game, while you just mean I think that low-skilled gamers shouldn't try to rolfstomp it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:03:18 pm by Fenix »

HulkOSaurus

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 03:14:30 pm »
Fair point.

In that case:

people with... um, questionable gaming abilities

Shouldn't that be changed in case people reviewing the game on Steam decide they want to check this website?

MirddinEmris

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:11:20 pm »
people with... um, questionable gaming abilities and we took a hit to our "recent" score. This usually happens after big sales which attract... um, a more diverse crowd

So, casuals are crying out again? Well, this looks like a job for nolifer grognard! To the rescue!

Also, not only you can leave a review, but you also can rate other's reviews so that most useful and objective are at the top.

Piggon

• Probably not a Spambot
  • :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 10:48:39 pm »
No problem, glad to help out  :)
LOVE THIS GAME

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 12:31:29 am »
That's got to be frustrating, having people leave a negative review where they just say stuff like it's hard, or they didn't know what they were doing. Left a positive review years(!) ago now, but I'll ask if anyone I know who plays it can throw some thumbs up.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 08:12:01 am »
Seems to be already fixed, glad my typical "good." review helped.  8)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 08:41:05 am »
No worries.

I will leave an honest review of the game. Needless to say it will be thumbs up, but considering the current gaming fashion, I just don't think it's a game for everybody... and I think it's fair of me to leave a fair warning. What do you think?

Write your honest opinion, of course. I'm just assuming that, like me, there are other people here who don't typically write reviews at all, even for the games they like.

But I wouldn't get too worked up if I were you, because a decent amount of the game's popularity comes from friends telling friends, far as I can tell.
There's that, but there's also Steam visibility/perception and I think (according to the sales) that when people see that orange "Mixed" rating, it's a big turn-off.

Anyway, thanks for the help guys, we're back in the blue. :D

Sykar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 07:07:11 pm »
I will write a review tomorrow.

Arclight

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 12:57:52 am »
I wrote one after a few hours of playing the game. Far, far better than many of the RPGs I;ve played over the years.

I'd write another, if I could... :D

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 03:24:05 am »
Recently we've been having a bit of trouble with Steam reviews from people with... um, questionable gaming abilities and we took a hit to our "recent" score. This usually happens after big sales which attract... um, a more diverse crowd, but this time it's particularly bad. So if any of you guys owns the game on Steam and enjoys it, we would greatly appreciate a positive feedback to bump up the score to its rightful place. Don't get overzealous and do something against the Steam TOS, though. Thanks.

I'd say UnderRail has been designed for a niche audience, I don't blame them, the game mechanics would discourage the average gamer to play and don't wanna spend time to learn by constant trial and error.

Will leave my review soon.

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 06:27:31 am »
Not much you can do about that except the old/new trick, balance the difficulties differently so that Normal is very easy, and there's more difficulties after Normal or they're tougher.

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 10:12:17 am »
Added my review. To be honest, I should have done it sooner but I was too busy playing the game lol.

Megaost

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 08:34:30 pm »
I would if I hadn't written a review already, two years ago.  :(
So frustrating to see a really great game get thumbed down by people who either don't like the genre or are just bad.