Author Topic: What will be your first build in Expedition and why?  (Read 25641 times)

bati

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
What will be your first build in Expedition and why?
« on: July 10, 2019, 09:47:31 am »
It doesn't matter if you're in alpha or not but I'm curious what the people are going to roll, what difficulty you intend to play and the reasoning behind the builds.

Against my better judgement I'll probably play a crossbow again, with quick tinkering, deadly snares and grenadier (for burrower spawns, The Beast etc). It's a relatively unique playstyle that's very under represented in RPGs which along with stealth nature of the build is the main draw for me. Sure the snipers are probably more powerful but there's something to be said about silently dispatching enemies 1 by 1 if positioning permits.

And as an added bonus it's a high perception character, meaning you get to see most of the hidden passages and secrets.

I will most likely play on Hard difficulty.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: What will be your first build in Expedition and why?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 02:41:26 pm »
My first character back in 2017 was just like yours.  I remade them when DOMINATING came out.  Beat it with both of them, and after my first run through expedition, I'm going back through it with my post-DC crossbow character (and snag all the stuff I missed the first time, given they have perception, locks/hax, persuasion). 

But in expedition, I'm running a temporal swordsman.  High strength, 10 agility, throwing/melee/dodge/evasion/temporal manipulation/crafting, grenadier.  Using a sturdy psi riot gear until my dodge/evasion is maxed and then switching to infused siphoner.  Despite no points in stealth, and no locks/hax or persuasion or perception, it's actually been a blast; I'm really enjoying the flexibility in combat, and nobody has action points like I do.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:58:24 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 03:13:07 pm »
nobody as action points like I do.
Temporal, stim, blitz?

ent

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 03:23:04 pm »
Probably running a machete + some psi skill (probably temporal) with some trap utility on hard since I tend to not like to minmaxing stats for things like DOMINATING. I've been hearing good things about the sword feats so I'm excited.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 03:41:28 pm »
*eurobeat intensifies*

Draynin

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 08:01:55 pm »
Thinking I want to do something with shotguns, maybe shotgun riot shield, I don't use shield frequently.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 08:05:20 pm »
Shotguns are two-handed, so no riot shields.
*eurobeat intensifies*

Phyroks

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:56:56 am »
Trying out melee with some psi on top.

Pistols/melee/energy weapons are things I have not really tried out much. Did enjoy xbow/stealth & assaultrifle with heavy armors quite a lot!

ciox

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 12:37:36 pm »
Alas, I did all I could to shill for a crafting enhancement that makes shotguns one-handed.
Other weapons might have this property though...

`louse`

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 03:41:31 pm »
Alas, I did all I could to shill for a crafting enhancement that makes shotguns one-handed.
Other weapons might have this property though...
sawed-off shotgun? 8)

Fenix

• Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 04:07:35 pm »
Four-psi user, with Persuasion, Intimidatio, Mercattile, 10 Int - build for ALL lore available, at least I think so.
So no craft.
Since everybody go Tranquility, I'll go Psychosis, maybe spoiler route. As for the rest points - it will be Perception, or if I want minimal death count - Dex for spoiler, or Constitution for spoiler.

Yonaiker

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 02:14:09 am »
Psychosis Temporal + Thought, as secondary I'm stuck between chemical pistols or shotguns, hoping there are unique armor suits in Expedition now since I don't want to touch Tailoring for a time being.

Faeren

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 05:40:24 am »
My first character back in 2017 was just like yours.  I remade them when DOMINATING came out.  Beat it with both of them, and after my first run through expedition, I'm going back through it with my post-DC crossbow character (and snag all the stuff I missed the first time, given they have perception, locks/hax, persuasion). 

But in expedition, I'm running a temporal swordsman.  High strength, 10 agility, throwing/melee/dodge/evasion/temporal manipulation/crafting, grenadier.  Using a sturdy psi riot gear until my dodge/evasion is maxed and then switching to infused siphoner.  Despite no points in stealth, and no locks/hax or persuasion or perception, it's actually been a blast; I'm really enjoying the flexibility in combat, and nobody has action points like I do.
Would you be willing to share the build you use? Wasn't really sure what to go with but this sounds like a blast.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 03:14:14 pm »
Would you be willing to share the build you use? Wasn't really sure what to go with but this sounds like a blast.

Sure, but if I could rebuild him I would, but I'll talk about that after.

At 1st lvl:  S8/D7/A10/C3/P3/W3/I6, extra points go to strength, throwing/melee/dodge/evasion/temp psi all maxed, and crafting.  I can't mention the new feats, but there are several that I took; pretty much all the ones for machetes, plus one for temp psi and one general one.  Until level 10, I maxed crafting and ignored dodge/evasion because I was using riot gear and they suck until later anyway. Then, I maxed dodge and then evasion.  Throwing goes up to effective 120.  Then you can start putting more points in crafting.

Feats were:  Sprint, (new feat), Nimble, Grenadier, Cheap Shots, Escape Artist (gotta fit in 30 dodge from your craft points), Blitz, Expose Weakness, (new feat), (new feat), Critical Power, then several more new feats with premeditation at some point probably (haven't taken it yet at lvl 20). 

Now, if I could start over, I think I'd leave Int at 5, and have 7 strength and 9 dex at first level and level dex instead.  You get somewhat less damage (like 1/7th or 1/8th less or something), but you get higher initiative and crit chance and later on can put some points in lockpicking and traps or whatever.  I'm also not really needing premeditation so far with temp psi.

If you want a more pure melee machine, drop grenadier and premeditation and go with reckless and opportunist.  You could also use the premeditation slot for three-pointer and spend whatever points you have left in throwing (as I built it, you could max throwing and still get your craft skills where you want them).  Also my feat order is built around how I figured I'd progress through the game; if you want to focus on killing shit with swords earlier, pick those feats earlier, obviously.

Edit:  Also, fancy footwork is good for reasons I can't disclose; consider taking that instead of sprint if you can work that in

Machetes might not seem so great at first, but you can really tear shit up later on.

Also there are reasons to use riot gear with shields now, so you might consider that when building a new character.
edit:  "better reasons"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:19:24 pm by harperfan7 »
*eurobeat intensifies*

newageofpower

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2019, 07:24:14 am »
Also there are reasons to use riot gear with shields now, so you might consider that when building a new character.
I suppose you can't disclose that either?