Author Topic: Empowered Psionic feats worth it?  (Read 2494 times)

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Empowered Psionic feats worth it?
« on: October 27, 2019, 06:08:33 pm »
I'm making a Psi/Guns build and at level 30 I end up with 1 spare feat point. Problem is, I've gotten pretty much every feat that catches my eye already and I'm not sure what to take. All my psi skills are maxed out, and with a good quality universal headband, they'll all reach an effective skill of 300+ (except for temporal manipulation, which I only need 70 in for stasis and contraction)

For anybody who has done a psi build and taken the empowered psi veteran feats before, would you say they're worth it?
If so, which one allows for the most powerful turn/combo in your opinion?

Here's my build plans for reference: https://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgUGAwUKCwbCoAAAAAAAAFRUAABPTyBIT8KgwqDCoEYAAD1PASssFCplwodmIVtLM34uwrdybRpswp7CncKtwq7inJoB4qK1AuKnvgrirIMC378

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
Re: Empowered Psionic feats worth it?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 03:47:04 am »
I think that for a Psychosis build, Empowered Metathermics or Psychokinesis are always good choices. You're relying on your first-strike ability, so it's good to be able to dump as much damage as possible in that opening turn (or whichever turn you judge to be best for your maximum output).  If you're going to end the turn hiding behind a forcefield, or behind a LoS break, then the psi drain is completely meaningless.  If you're going to empty your psi pool anyway, it's not really any difference to you whether you're out of psi because you spent it all or because you got whatever leftover six points you had drained when the Empowered feat switched off.

For your build, with only 13 Will, I like Empowered even more since you've got fairly low effective skills.  If you don't want Thermodynamicity, then yeah, Empowered Metathermics or Psychokinesis is probably a solid pick.

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 09:37:23 am »
Thanks for the advice, and yeah, I'm kind of starved for base stat points as I'll need 6 dex to be able to use rapid fire with the wasteland hawk, 5 strength to wield my sniper, 10 perception so my guns don't completely suck, 6 intelligence for premeditation and so I can use 150 quality components in crafting as long as I'm at my workbench and pop a hypercerebrix, and the rest got dumped into will.

Initially I didn't want to take thermodynamicity since I don't want to thaw out chilled or frozen opponents, or put out ones who were on fire, but if I'm going to be taking empowered metathermics, would you recommend I switch out pyromaniac for thermodynamicity? I guess it'd allow me to utilize the empowered buff to its fullest extend with, say, a premeditated pyroblast AOE, followed by a mania'd cryo orb, and then by a pyro stream or something. It certainly sounds like a lot more potential burst damage than simply setting guys on fire for the nice panic it gives. Plus advanced empathy nullifies the extra casting cost of psychosis, letting me cast even more spells while the buff is up.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 09:39:58 am by Alice Malice »

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:19:34 pm »
Also, do you think having 3 constitution along with advanced empathy would be viable considering it's on normal? I plan on wearing a sturdy, antithermic or galvanic overcoat with psi beetle carapace and a super steel sheet, as well as kevlar boots of some kind with a high frequency 800+ capacity energy shield. I could really use the extra points to put into will, could get it up to 15 which would be way more fitting since I basically plan on just bursting down enemies on the turn I discover them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 02:39:08 pm by Alice Malice »

TheAverageGortsby

• Faceless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 03:24:22 am »
Initially I didn't want to take thermodynamicity since I don't want to thaw out chilled or frozen opponents, or put out ones who were on fire, but if I'm going to be taking empowered metathermics, would you recommend I switch out pyromaniac for thermodynamicity?
I would consider Pyromaniac to be superior to Thermodynamicity in almost all situations.  You have a few feats that you could sacrifice for Thermodynamicity, but I wouldn't be happy with the trade-off for Pyromaniac.

Also, do you think having 3 constitution along with advanced empathy would be viable considering it's on normal?
Sure. 3 CON psi is perfectly viable. I don't recommend it for a first-time player because there's less room to learn from mistakes when you have a narrower margin for survival, but if you've played UnderRail before, or are just willing to pay close attention to what you're doing, then there's no problem with 3 CON. I don't even use shields with my psi characters and I can do 3 CON DOMINATING runs Ironman-style; if I can, so can you with a little practice.

I plan on wearing a sturdy, antithermic or galvanic overcoat with psi beetle carapace and a super steel sheet, as well as kevlar boots of some kind
You'll be surprised and disappointed at how bad galvanic vests are (except, possibly, when stacked with Psi Crab carapace and galvanically padded boots, but that's rather niche). You'll be happier with Sturdy or Regenerative vests.  And the only way to put kevlar on your feet is with kevlar tabis and you'll find those underwhelming, as well.  But try them out, and try other things, too.  Crafting is a really fun side-game in UnderRail.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 03:38:19 am by TheAverageGortsby »

Alice Malice

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 03:01:41 am »
Alright, thanks for all the advice, really helpful :)