Author Topic: A blind laser pistol build (aka Stormtrooper)  (Read 15662 times)

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: A blind laser pistol build (aka Stormtrooper)
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2021, 07:47:06 pm »
Hey, glad you like it! I joined Coretech during my playthrough, their merchant is much more useful for that character. It won't change much though, and JKK is overall easier to complete. JKK also makes it easier to get certain oddities. Don't overthink it, merchant RNG will screw you anyway and you'll regret whatever choice you made, this is Underrail after all!

Side note, Critical Power got nerfed but there is a sweet new belt in the game (Commando Belt). If you're lucky enough to get it it's probably better to spec 5 Versatility / 10 CP.
Bit of necrosis going on here.. 😆🤣 But on the subject - Coretech all the time, most of the time, for Energy Pistol builds. No point not to - best EP component trader bar none, also sells Plasma Grenade recipe early.
For the Commando Belt - I found one in Gray Army Base, the very first room you port in with The Dude. Not sure if a fixed spawn, but would make sense thematically...

sqeecoo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 08:21:14 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. I'd like to take the opportunity to also thank you, RewRatt, for your amazing builds and videos that helped me a lot. Your TC/TM trapper is amazing and perhaps the most well-rounded psi build I've found, and your chem pistol build convinced me that going all-in with dexterity is the right way for pistol builds - I just prefer the range of the laser to the otherwise totally amazing chem pistols.

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 09:47:11 am »
Thanks for the responses guys. I'd like to take the opportunity to also thank you, RewRatt, for your amazing builds and videos that helped me a lot. Your TC/TM trapper is amazing and perhaps the most well-rounded psi build I've found, and your chem pistol build convinced me that going all-in with dexterity is the right way for pistol builds - I just prefer the range of the laser to the otherwise totally amazing chem pistols.
Thanks dude. You don't know how nice it is to hear that 😊 I love this game and community is the greatest I've ever been a part of.

YBS

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 12:31:14 pm »

The beginning was not that hard... In fact, it was the most fun part. At first I used a lot of bear traps and some grenades and any ranged weapon I could lay my hands on: I recommend to put some points in Guns though. To me it was necessary so i could take Mad Chemist and Cooked Shot (Really a good option to face the thought controllers which are trivialized this way)  early on. I switched to laser pistol or more precisely I ADD them to my repertoire after I reached level 14. I was unstoppable from then on (thanks to lucky merchant rolls and Coretech support).

So here it is:

http://underrail.info.tm/build/?HgMQAwkDAwkjOQDCoB4Awp9VL0JDS2RKSloAAAA3AABqKCbCoxYwVsKRYktawpopK8KHTsKzMV3CncKt4qe-BeK1rgrfvw

Hey Richter, could you repost this build link?  The portal you're using is broken and I'm curious about your QoL changes.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:16:53 am by Guehlfirf »

Richter

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2021, 09:54:38 pm »
Update september 2022: here is my final version for this build:

https://underrail.info/build/?HgMPAwkDAwoZwqAAwqAAAFBRMDMqJ1BIKE8ALQDCnkMANcKjYisxFjDCh1rCmkspKsKIXT7Cs1HChW3DnMKewp3CrcKuw4Js4qe-CuK1rgXfvw

With this your laser pistol will have 97% chance to critically hit (for 600-800 at endgame without Blindsiding, hypercerebrix or SS drug)  in general with Focus Stim and Hardcore chips. 100% on non insectoid organic with Body Horror. 10 Int rather than 18 dex maximizes damage, same thing with speccing CP rather than versatility, it is no problem with the Commando Belt (go hunt down the scavengers group in the caves north or the lower floor in GMS).

Skinner, ~60Q rathound leather (might buy it from Booth, just remove Gypsy.obj in data in the Underrail files to guarantee him to spawn before the beginning of a run) and 160Q SS (just find 4 Refining Data before melting) gives +13% critical chance from Rathound. Join FD for stealth material (and the tatoo!), join Coretech (not mandatory though, and don't forget to meat Phreak BEFORE) for electronic components but Kiro at Tchort Institute is even better. Choose investigation and physics during your dialogue with Eiden to get Electroinvestigative belt for the +2% crit chance on crafted energy pistols and +15 electronics to craft plasma nades anywhere without drugs.

You can pass every skill based check in the game except psi ones and some in dialogue for dodge/evasion and mechanics saves for avoiding the fight with Iris (why would you anyway?) and 140 mercantile check at Ray's... EXCEPT if you play in march and find bespoke buckled shoes... In this case you can. You need Jacknife for some lockpicking check and Huxkey, you need White Dude (cocktail fairly often available at the Drag'n'Drop which is always in your game if you have Expedition) and Heartbreaker armor and tabis for 105 persuasion to convince Grim to do the missions solo and Sleight of Night (Drag'n'Drop again) to steal something from Ethan and/or Azif ... And that's it!

Just use knife at the beginning and abuse utilites and especially bear traps. Then you won't use anything but laser pistols and maybe phase gun a bit. The sonocaster takes care of Nagas remarkably well (with crit and amplified wave attack, You do 65X damage to them per attack at long range and for 12 AP from level 26 on!)

Psi : LTI, PTC, Statis (as usual) and for PK you use Grounding, Imprint, Electrokinesis for the CC. Last one is anything you want, PTD has its niche use maybe...

You can shoot 10 times per double accelerated turn, 11 times and 1 knife throw if it kills with the throwing glove (switch hands...) thanks to Fatal Throw.

This is a very easy and powerful build that do not require much maintenance because you'll find batteries everywhere and you just need to buy some advanced electronics repair kits (you will have the occasion to craft some too). The only downside is that it is a glass canon, but you have tons of CC with psi and utilities, fairly good initiative, good stealth with your gear and good damage distribution (one shot one dead at level ~23 and even before that sometimes, and 8, 9 and 10/11 shots per turns at level 20, 24, 26, 28... not talking about max dex with Commando Belt and Three Pointer feat shenanigans!)

You have 31% chance of PTC drawbacks effects (minimum is 30%) but it's endgame dump points, you can choose to put them in Persuasion, Mercantile, Biology (for SS drug would you decide to do DC before Expedition for example) or Mechanics (for the checks which are Tunneler repairs and a DC one to repair the gate, not really important, you won't miss content not having them, quite the contrary in fact...).

Have fun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:22:30 pm by Richter »

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 10:32:32 pm »
Hey, sorry for necro, but with Heavy Duty you can use new weapons - Grenade laucnher Thumper and New laser pistol Stunner - these weapons fit this build like a glove. You can get them right after prologue. You can use Stunner before you craft your high-end laser pistol, and refurbished  Thumper will be excellent support weapon (better to use it with special  belt)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 10:34:07 pm by Kiruha »