Author Topic: Looking for advice before I get much further  (Read 1786 times)

Rooster

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Looking for advice before I get much further
« on: April 06, 2021, 08:50:53 am »
New player, started a character (with some advice from a friend) and my game plan is to be stealthy and use a crossbow/traps. This is the build so far

https://underrail.info/build/?BgMHCAMLAwYAACgAAAAoJyQAIigAIRcjAAAAAAAAAAEiHTBA378

Not very far into the game yet. I just got the mission to speak with someone in Junkyard, and I'm wondering if I should make any changes as I level up for this build to be viable as the game gets more difficult. Thanks!

Natemare117

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for advice before I get much further
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 08:13:55 pm »
Junkyard is notorious for being the Build gauntlet- its certainly going to be difficult if its your first time. I'd recommend getting Sure Step due to a lot of acid pools you will encounter going in. Its far from mandatory but will help dividends, and can also make using Caltrops a reliable source of damage.

I can't say much else beyond that, been a hot minute since I played so much of the game is different and idk what the current best builds are. I do know I rarely skip Sure Step for the above reason and because I really like using caltrops in general.  8)

Hinz

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 03:26:59 am »
Howdy, thought I might hand you some suggestions and explain briefly a little bit about how your build will work. I by no means am an expert but had similar struggles during my Underrail indoctrination. During your time playing will you come to learn that knowledge is power, and a little cunning goes a long way.

The first thing I'll go over are attribute distribution, feats, and skill points. While Underrail can seem extremely tight with build customization at first, the more you learn, the more you can get away with more *niche* feats and build complexity, though sometimes requiring different approaches to certain situations. Everything I mention below are suggestions meant to help you progress farther in the story and learn.

STR 3 - Makes sense
DEX 7 - Dex is good, helps some skills, determines Initiative(your roll to act first in combat), and determines light weapon AP cost
AGI 8 - Now, while AGI is great for stealth based builds and utilizing shortcuts, it would appear you didn't invest in evasion or dodge, or pick up Sprint for that matter. This all in my opinion makes    the 8 AGI somewhat of an overdistribution, especially on a 3 CON stealth assassin. The reason being is while 8 AGI can work for many reasons, you could go 6 AGI (the req for sprint) and give 2 to INT, which helps with crafting. You could even go 5 CON or 7 AGI 7 INT. While 6 AGI will reduce your stealth capabilities mildly, you can craft armor that will ease the loss of 2 AGI: Balaclava's and chest armor made with soft foam padding, experiment!

CON 3 - You too, like to live dangerously?
PER 11- Easily your most important stat. You'll be putting points into this whenever you can unless character creation was mucked up and you need a point in something else to grab a desired feat.
WILL 3- Approach Lunatics with caution
INT 6  - A very very desired attribute across many builds. Not only does it unlock pretty nice feats, it can unlock extra dialogue at times and will boost your crafting skills. Nice.

Order of Feats taken in link
1:Aimed Shot
1:Marksman
2:Interloper
4:Quick Tinkering
6: Trap Expert

Ho boy.. okay. We can all agree Aimed Shot is great. It is. Do we need it at the start? Sometimes. Marksman also a great feat, but not necessarily required at the start. I personally have never used interloper on any of my stealth trappers or have felt the need for it during any of my Metal Gear Solid Snakes vent crawls. Yeah, it makes you faster in stealth, and retains /15/ movement points upon entering combat, but overall not very impressive  (to me). Quick Tinkering.. From what i understand this used to be incredibly OP. Fortunately, in it's nerfed state, I still find it to be highly recommended in any trap build, even though you can get away without using it. I don't have much to say about Trap Expert, as I find the ingame speedup and Quick Tinkering is sufficient.

Skills and my suggestions

I will try to keep this brief, as this is getting quite long. After looking at skill distribution I see you are one to pick every lock, hack every computer (cause it's fun and we are sneaky). Pumping lockpicking and hacking every level isn't bad, but not needed at certain points. You risk overcommitted skill points while being in an area that may have been easier with some evasion, or a little extra into tailoring so you could craft nice mutated dog leather shoes. Crafting is op, and you should look to get into it whenever you can. Overcommitting points also goes for crafting skills too, however. Being in Depot A with over 40 Effective skill with 3 crafting skills is a bit overkill as at 34 Chemistry and 10 Mechanics, you could make MARK II HE or Frag grenades with extra skill points being used elsewhere.

Your build and playstyle

Be it as it may, you chose to go with a 3 STR 3 CON stealth marksman trapper build. This means 2 things. You are weak as hell (take Rat Packhound) and have the constitution of a Hopper. Your build thrives off of isolated assassination or intricately planting bear traps (they come poisoned too!) and lines of mines to DOMINATE your pipebrained opponents. Fortunately this type of playstyle was covered by players who helped me in a past thread-> https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=4715.0 <- Extremely useful information in there.

As for the build, I would reroll, it won't take you long to get back to Depot A. It's hard to tell how viable it will be later in the game as you are only level 6 (i might suggest even level 8 before Depot A). Once you do hit 6 you have a variety of options for feats but here I just went with Sure Step because again, getting you farther in the game to learn is my goal.

Here is my suggestion https://underrail.info/build/?BgMHBgMLAwgAGCgAACgoKCgAIAoAIgoKAAAAAAAAACc5ATBh378

Rooster

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 06:35:24 am »
Awesome, thanks for all the advice! I'll make sure to look through that thread, and yeah, rerolling seems like a good idea. I can see I've made some mistakes haha