Author Topic: Help a rookie fine tune his Pistol/Crit build  (Read 2775 times)

Record

• Noob
    • View Profile
Help a rookie fine tune his Pistol/Crit build
« on: May 15, 2021, 04:24:22 pm »
Hello good internet people! I have been very much enjoying Underrail for a long time now, but I've yet to see the game to completion. My first build was very similiar to this one, but due to inexperience and poor planning ahead, it fell flat around the time I got to the Black Sea. Since then, I've tried a small handful of gimmicky and noob friendly builds here on the forums, only to find them uninteresting and generally unfun after some hours. So, with my new experience combined with my somewhat succesful previous pistol build, I sat down to make what is - in my best effort - a planned and coherent build. Now it's to test it in the Shark Tank, so please, take a look and tell me if I'm completely unhinged, or I've just missed the spot a few places:

https://underrail.info/build/?HgUJBwMOAwXCoGQAAHjCoFAARgBmXUpFQWEAAAAAWgAAJBcBJiceWTpAMcOSGVszEcKkwrXio7oK4qWUBd-_

Some context: I plan on grabbing Wyatt's 44. magnum, and then progressing to the Wasteland Hawk for it's high crit damage. My experience with my first run was that traps are generally fun and really help even the odds, especially with weapons that use tons of AP and have small mags such as these, so this build too will have a focus on that, as well as grenades for CC etc. I also want to use the JKK armor, but I'm unsure if it's really the best choice.

So please, give it a look, and thanks in advance for any feedback.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 07:38:26 am by Record »

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Help a rookie fine tune his Pistol/Crit build
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2021, 08:32:00 am »
Drop opportunist and Execute. You don't need such strong attack with high caliber pistols. Grab critical power.

5 spec points in Bullet Time. No exceptions. Taka Bullet Time at level 12 and max spec it first. One of the best feats in this game.

Hit and Run should also be taken sooner, even at lvl 1.

-5 Perception, +5 Dexterity. This will reduce base AP cost of Wasteland Hawk to 22 AP, or 11 under Bullet time, allowing you to shoot 2 / 4 times per round without AP boosting things.

Usual advice: 70 tempral manipulation is massively good.

Another usual advice: crafted gear is better than unique one. .44 hammerrer with rapid reloader and laser sight/smart module will outclass uniques.You also want to wear Infused rathound leather armor for extra 11% crit chance.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:43:12 am by Turbodevil »

Record

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2021, 09:36:46 am »
Thanks a bunch! Your advice is taken to heart.

I am however sticking with opportunist (as it's too late to change at lvl 7) since it synergizes well with my, frankly, excessive use of crawler caltrops.

Is it even worth it to put spec points into recklessness, or should I invest elsewhere?

Turbodevil

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 09:42:54 am »
Recklesness spec is definitely worth it unless you have better options.

For me the best spec for pitols is bullet time then Hit and Run, after that it depends playstyle, more chance to crit = more likelihood enemy dies in one shot so it is solid choice.