Author Topic: Random useful tips you've learned?  (Read 6669 times)

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
  • Strike em quick, lightning fast.
    • View Profile
    • https://bitbucket.org/N1MH/starsector-mods/downloads/
Random useful tips you've learned?
« on: July 13, 2021, 10:37:09 am »
Hoddurform gives when held in one of your weapon slots (not neccesarily equipped) a shadow which can activate ambush

If you invest 5 points into throwing you can have 95% throwing accuracy on a stunned guy instead of 70%

You don't have to fight the plasma sentry in Elwoods room, if you have adrenaline you can just tase it, open the footlocker then run away and close the door.

You can use snipers in melee range if the enemy isn't hostile yet

Gort and Fixer can sell advanced catalyzing belts.

You can kill some of the protectorate soldiers in the prison and severely weaken the plasma sentries using burrower caltrops by standing in front of the cameras and letting them go back and forth.

You can kill JKK without turning core city hostile (Their armor is pretty good)

With future orientation, flashbangs a taser and some nets you can keep a dude immobile permanently
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 11:11:26 am by xnmh »
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.

Goromorg

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Random useful tips you've learned?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2021, 06:06:17 pm »
Telekinetic Proxy can be used to trigger Ambush.

Nail bombs are not as loud as frag grenades.

You can use jumping beans and adrenaline shots to increase your stealth movement speed for a short time.

Enemies have lower sight range than you, so you often can attack first if you move slowly, no stealth required.

Ceramic and Psi beetle plates for tactical vests are good only in the early game, the best late-game plate is nanocomposite.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 06:10:44 pm by Goromorg »

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2021, 10:14:55 pm »
Ceramic and Psi beetle plates for tactical vests are good only in the early game, the best late-game plate is nanocomposite.

I heavily disagree here.

Psi beetle is very important for builds that use psi as their main offensive tool as 10% cost reduction goes a long way.

As for nanocomposite vs ceramic ... if we disregard AP (and we should not but lets ... ) 40-55 base DT helps immensly vs a lot of stuff even if its not a bullet. Many things will not penetrate it at all (unless critical). But if sacrifice 25 DT from ceramic plate suddenly a lot of things can actually hurt you. And deliver nasty debuffs.

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 05:21:39 am »
All enemies will investigate sound while in turn based mode. You can abuse this by throwing a grenade while undetected and immediately entering stealth in turn based mode to force enemies where you want. Outside turn based mode, this only works on humans and death stalkers.

Coil spiders can disarm gas grenades.

You can murder the frowning man outside the university of tchort to get the coretech faction equipment without joining coretech and agroing institute, but it will agro Demetrius.

On dominating, you can kill the Ironhead heavy gunner and Berserker outside the cave with Hugo to get high quality metal armor and a high quality hammer right out of Depot A.

You can now get hypercerbrix right out of Depot A if you go under Oculus to the Formedicator.

Shabby

• Probably not a Spambot
  • Mushroom Brew Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 11:43:16 am »
Enemies have lower sight range than you, so you often can attack first if you move slowly, no stealth required.

I also have to disagree here, they dont have lower sight range, they have agro range, the times i got sniped out by an NPC with a sniper rifle out of the fog of war is beyond counting.
Grey Army OST is the best piece of music released in the last 50 years, prove me wrong.

Valor

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 01:54:38 pm »
Nearly every underrail problem can be solved with generous application of traps and throwing explosive fun toys.

KnifegaF

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 02:42:32 pm »
All enemies will investigate sound while in turn based mode. You can abuse this by throwing a grenade while undetected and immediately entering stealth in turn based mode to force enemies where you want. Outside turn based mode, this only works on humans and death stalkers.

Works on more than just humans and death stalkers (coil spiders, spiders, Burrower spawn, dogs, mutant dogs, and I’m sure I’m forgetting something else) but this is an awesome tip I have to thank you for. I’m sure it’ll come in handy when I do pacifist or want to stealth encounters. Cheers

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 03:24:17 pm »
Mollies are great for the beast fight and beach invasions, since they also light up the area for your allies to hit more accurately. 

Cryo/incendiary (if you have ambush) traps are good for spiders

*eurobeat intensifies*

Amannamedsquid

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2021, 03:50:10 am »
Electrokinetic imprint is extremely effective against crawlers.

If fighting your way through the Gray Army Base, setting up a little kill-zone in the kitchen or the armory will give you a fighting chance against the Spec-Ops team.                                                                                                               

If you're having too much trouble with the "Gas the drones" protectorate quest(you don't have a biohazard suit), enter the free drones base and kill them all before you install the rigged canisters, then install them and then just run like the wind back to Fort Apogee.

You might as well ditch the lower level Health hypos by the time you start working for one of the Oligarchs. They're way less useful at that point and just weigh you down.

Crafting and then selling cloaking devices is an effective way to make some quick, easy money early on.

Auriga

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 05:41:00 pm »
You can move diagonally between sectors in Expedition.

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 04:37:06 am »
Old Jonas sells batteries (and items in general) 50% cheaper if you give him his watch for free

If you have a fishing rod you can get 2 oddity xp in the siphoner pools,
one by fishing up the damaged necklace in the bottom left and asking
Katherine to fix it, and the other by fishing in the secret pools to the top right

You can get infinite money by farming jet skiers at the waterways and selling their stuff

If you don't run away from Warthogs they can't use their charge attack (it does loads of damage and stuns you)

Mutants really hate fire, I was surrounded by 3 mutants and I threw a molotov at my feet, instead of attacking me they ran out of the fire and refused to go in until it was out. Also since there were 3 of them they could've probably killed me if they tried
« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 03:06:33 am by xnmh »
Im working on maknig a guide for new players on DOMINATING. Help needed. Do not PM me.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 11:07:04 am »
Bullets are the most marketable because nearly every arms merchant buys unlimited amounts of ammo. On the other hand energy weapons and shields have the highest "value to weight" ratio of random junk you can sell and there's a merchant dealing with electronics in most locations

redgoesfastfastfastfast

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2021, 12:13:44 pm »
Fire pistol cooked shot, grenades and pyrokinesis can trigger mines

Crafting fire chemical pistol ammo with napalm lets you craft 3x the ammo with only 30% of the vials and bonding agents required

The under passages are a fast and easy way to quickly travel around if you don't wanna spend money on the train
(You might need to kill a few lurkers, but if your doing it right it shouldn't be too hard)

Exothermic aura can damage people in uncontrolled zones without them turning hostile

If your playing a female character Ethan will teach you a free psi ability and you don't get stunned for 2 turns by dirty kick

If your playing on DOMINATING its worth killing the plasma turrets in junkyard since they can drop up to quality 110 components

South of Rail Crossing there is a zone with many death stalkers and most importantly a room with a one way entrance with a door, this zone is a easy place to farm crawler venom.

Don't leave loot in the train heist zone, it will disappear after you leave the area. I had to learn this the hard way
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 10:15:45 am by xnmh »

Lotaeri

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2021, 07:30:30 pm »
If you suspect hostiles on the opposite side of a closed door, and you haven't engaged in combat against them, you can enter combat, open the door, and move to the side out of LoS and then end combat.  Useful if you don't want to have a 25 AP cost applied to you at the start of battle for opening that door.

The lantern belt item can be activated to stop the dopplegangers from appearing on Forbidden Isle while its light holds up.

The thugs in the GMS compound do not have a key to get into the gun turret control room.  You can enter that room, shut/lock the door in combat and then, once it ends, activate the turret outside which should kill at least two of them as they walk back into the cafeteria.

You can charge items placed on your hot bar instead of finding them in your inventory.  For that matter you can hotbar repair kits for easier repairs on equipment, instead of switching between tabs.

You can export/import a character to earn oddity experience again from quests you complete.  Oddity items found will not grant any more points obviously.

Marsh Honey increases your perception by 2.  The Juice by 1.  Mushroom Salad by 1.  Googles can be found to grant you another 1.  All of this can get you +5 to perception for 50 seconds if you're looking to reveal some secrets.

On that note rathound barbeque, the Power Fist, Rat Hound Armor, and Adren shots can grant you +5 strength for 15 seconds.  Useful to push some blocks or boulders around.  I believe (I can't recall) a certain unique armor found in the jetski dungeon can grant you +3 strength when it's powered and activated, allowing for +7 strength for 15 seconds.

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 01:22:10 am »
If you suspect hostiles on the opposite side of a closed door, and you haven't engaged in combat against them, you can enter combat, open the door, and move to the side out of LoS and then end combat.  Useful if you don't want to have a 25 AP cost applied to you at the start of battle for opening that door.

The lantern belt item can be activated to stop the dopplegangers from appearing on Forbidden Isle while its light holds up.

The thugs in the GMS compound do not have a key to get into the gun turret control room.  You can enter that room, shut/lock the door in combat and then, once it ends, activate the turret outside which should kill at least two of them as they walk back into the cafeteria.

You can charge items placed on your hot bar instead of finding them in your inventory.  For that matter you can hotbar repair kits for easier repairs on equipment, instead of switching between tabs.

You can export/import a character to earn oddity experience again from quests you complete.  Oddity items found will not grant any more points obviously.

Marsh Honey increases your perception by 2.  The Juice by 1.  Mushroom Salad by 1.  Googles can be found to grant you another 1.  All of this can get you +5 to perception for 50 seconds if you're looking to reveal some secrets.

On that note rathound barbeque, the Power Fist, Rat Hound Armor, and Adren shots can grant you +5 strength for 15 seconds.  Useful to push some blocks or boulders around.  I believe (I can't recall) a certain unique armor found in the jetski dungeon can grant you +3 strength when it's powered and activated, allowing for +7 strength for 15 seconds.
There was a new headgear added called the synthesetic refocus that gives +2 per while standing still. You can also use SSD to get more per, so you can get +6 per without drugs and +8 with drugs, for a total of 11 per (All in is pretty rare now that you can’t pickpocket it).