Author Topic: New Veteran feat suggestion  (Read 1741 times)

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
New Veteran feat suggestion
« on: September 07, 2021, 04:24:29 pm »
'Vigor Resurgence'
Increases Last Stand duration by 1 turn, gives Adrenaline Rush and Pain Suppression buffs for as long Last Stand is active

Requires Last Stand and 10 base CON, level 26 or higher
*Snort*

Tytyger

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: New Veteran feat suggestion
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:49:22 pm »
with this you can be in last stand forever for sure, but i like the idea of something similiar to expert sprint, though its op

ShoggothWhisperer

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 06:05:54 pm »
I think with spec points and LTI this would let you permanently have Last Stand active, which would be a extremely overpowered. An alternative option would be allowing you to survive a fatal hit+ an additional fatal hit for every 4 points in con while last stand is active, to have last stand make you even tankier.

Drizzle

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 01:32:15 am »
I dislike most Veteran feats because they generally come so late and don't offer anything impactful outside of an exception or two (like BWT or Fight Response), but adding a free Adrenaline and a Pain Suppression buff to Last Stand on top of an extra turn duration would make this actually feel like it *deserves* to be a Veteran feat. I personally believe this is about the strength they should have had, since you are limited to at most 3 of them, and each Veteran level takes double the XP of a normal one.
I also think that Feat trees, like the one Aimed Shot has, that expand on one ability or skill are a neat idea.
In short, I wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion.

Hammer Wizard

• Oculite
  • Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 04:38:09 am »
I do agree in your feat trees idea, more feat customization to tinker with builds would be nice.
I sincerely hope Styg and devs deep plunge into heavy customization of builds, giving replay value is something that will keep the game alive for very long.

And no, Last Stand should not suffer because TM shenanigans making it OP.
I hate it.
Stop using TM.
*Snort*

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 05:42:09 am »
And no, Last Stand should not suffer because TM shenanigans making it OP.
I hate it.
Stop using TM.

This. New suggestion remove TM from the game.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 04:57:35 am »
I wish veteran feats were strong and not just mostly memes, Underrail's "end-game feats" just remind me of Dying Light's "Legend" skill tree, for which I was excited to find out what it was only for it to turn out it was just stat numbers like increasing the damage of certain weapons by a percent.
I mean, really?
  • Choose between 15% damage against robots, 15% damage against machines and 10% damage against humanoids
  • Increase the effective psi skill value of a specific school by 35%, but then all your psi is gone save for the reserves, but at that point you're already killing everything very fast and the real challenge is sustained enemy waves that psi cannot deal so well against
  • +5% chance to dodge a ranged attack (lol), +5% chance to dodge a melee attack (Lol), -20% damage taken from explosions (LOL, the evasion from 12 agility builds already drastically reduces explosion damage)
  • +10AP on Sprint, which is pretty decent because it's free AP without a drawback but has a huge agility requirement, making it not see the light of day often outside of specific builds
  • +25MP if you're at lower than 35% health, which is also affected by armor penalty so it's kind of useless
  • +10AP if you're at lower than 25% health, which is somewhat niche because it implies you would survive with low enough health if something brings you that low, but could be good in an emergency, unless you'd use it for absolute meme builds that rely on having permanently low health, but who would do that?
  • +50% resolve, which is only impactful if you have plenty of Will, more than just 7, and resolve doesn't see much use because it's only somewhat useful against Thought Control
  • Merchants have more money. That's it. Ignore the fact that you can just hop from merchant to merchant in the Underrail especially with the Juice and it only takes a few minutes
  • +7% crit chance with weapons, which comes without any drawback, so that's decent
  • +15MP, +15% movement speed outside of combat, absolute meme
  • An additional +20% unarmed damage and a 5% chance to stun the target per punch, which is worthwhile if you're a pure unarmed build, but just like its predecessor it's useless for fist builds
  • +30% damage with weapons while riding a jet ski and +10% stability. Not bad when combined with all the other feats for a total of +40% stability and +30% maneuverability, but is useless outside the Waterways and you need to join the Pirates for Improved Naval Combat before taking it.
  • -30% damage taken from acid, heat, cold or electricity, but every tank takes electricity because it includes protecting against Thought Control damage
  • +5 psi regeneration, it's just too little
  • -10% armor penalty, which is a ridiculously small amount of armor penalty reduction, but can stack with Nimble.
  • Multiplicative reduction of psi costs by 20%, but taking a 25% health hit to your health. Lower psi costs are always welcome.
Overall I'd say only a few veteran feats are feasible to take but only barely, and it's surprising how inferior they tend to be compared to regular feats.
I'd like to see more feats that upgrade existing feats. Aimed Shot gaining a critical damage bonus, Psychosis granting even more critical chance, Mania working for 2 spells instead of 1, Tranquility also reducing psi costs a fair amount (or lowering its threshold from full health to above 75% health), Flurry (the sword feat) granting an extra "life" or two so that you need to miss twice or thrice before it actually deactivates, Pyromaniac causing a percentage of damage to ignore resistances, Continuum Ripple having a chance to trigger on nearby enemies when you cast Temporal Distortion, Body Horror granting bonus critical damage against organics, removes the resolve penalty and grants special dialogue with the more insane doctors, researchers and cannibals in the Underrail, Super Slam dealing damage in an AoE, Hypothermia also lowering resistance to the cold by a percentage per stack, Paranoia reducing the AP cost of weapons and spells by a percentage for the first turn of combat but only if initiative was rolled, Beyond Cold making you completely immune to cold damage for the duration, he list goes on, the possibilities are very wide. People generally want feats that work with their build, not general and somewhat mundane ones that are barely useful, adding veteran feat variants for most feats that builds rely on would be one good way to improve them.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 05:44:06 am by Barry »

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 11:00:48 am »

Overall I'd say only a few veteran feats are feasible to take but only barely, and it's surprising how inferior they tend to be compared to regular feats.
I'd like to see more feats that upgrade existing feats. Aimed Shot gaining a critical damage bonus, Psychosis granting even more critical chance, Mania working for 2 spells instead of 1, Tranquility also reducing psi costs a fair amount (or lowering its threshold from full health to above 75% health), Flurry (the sword feat) granting an extra "life" or two so that you need to miss twice or thrice before it actually deactivates, Pyromaniac causing a percentage of damage to ignore resistances, Continuum Ripple having a chance to trigger on nearby enemies when you cast Temporal Distortion, Body Horror granting bonus critical damage against organics, removes the resolve penalty and grants special dialogue with the more insane doctors, researchers and cannibals in the Underrail, Super Slam dealing damage in an AoE, Hypothermia also lowering resistance to the cold by a percentage per stack, Paranoia reducing the AP cost of weapons and spells by a percentage for the first turn of combat but only if initiative was rolled, Beyond Cold making you completely immune to cold damage for the duration, he list goes on, the possibilities are very wide. People generally want feats that work with their build, not general and somewhat mundane ones that are barely useful, adding veteran feat variants for most feats that builds rely on would be one good way to improve them.

Isn't this what specializations are for?

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 07:16:34 pm »
Specializations largely only buff whatever the feat does by a little every point. Exceptions exist like Sure Step that instead grants you up to 60% chance to not trigger a bear trap.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2021, 12:55:06 am »
Specializations largely only buff whatever the feat does by a little every point. Exceptions exist like Sure Step that instead grants you up to 60% chance to not trigger a bear trap.

First two suggestions are very similar to specializations.
Psychosis granting even more critical chance - is already a specialization
Mania working for 2 spells instead of 1 - not the same but close enough specialization lowers cooldown

As for the rest they could be easily done with specializations too. Maybe that would also give people incentive to put specialization points somewhere other that crit power.

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 10:08:32 pm »
Shrug. They're veteran feat ideas I've spitballed at 7 AM, the opportunities are there.
Specializations are somewhat underwhelming because the amount of spec points you get is small and the additional impact on feats is on average also very small per point, it's not uncommon to see "10 points for double a feat's effect" like in the case of Critical Power, but it's rare to see something actually have a bang for your buck like "+5% of your Intimidation applied to Yell per point". Veteran feats should be strong and impactful, I do admit my suggestion for Psychosis is not good (I was mostly thinking about Advanced Psi Empathy and Expert Unarmed Combat being mostly the same feat plastered over again), now that I think about it it could be reworked into an "overcrit" chance, a flat 20% chance to add 100% critical power to your spell when you crit.

Guehlfirf

• Zoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 10:29:01 am »
Psychosis having overcrit chance is pretty cool actually. I still would prefer this to be specializations though. This is also not happening. Maybe in infusion?

Barry

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 01:38:29 pm »
If Infusion was very similar to the base game then I hope that if not in Underrail then in Infusion