Author Topic: Looking for Crossbow + Traps + Stealth build (no psi)  (Read 6513 times)

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Looking for Crossbow + Traps + Stealth build (no psi)
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:07:02 am »
Hello,
I'm on my first playthrough and would like to proceed with a crossbow + traps + stealth build after some serious research.
There is a high chance I might not play the game again (I have 2 young kids, so time is limited), but who knows.

I like to explore a lot, so I'm planning to play normla + oddity. I think Stealth and high Perception, as well as lockpicking would help in doing that.
I'm also terrible at managing consumables, so having more of them might be better, or maybe I'll just get better at it in this game.

Can someone help me design this build?

Thanks everyone for your time.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Crossbow + Traps + Stealth build (no psi)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 08:38:48 am »
Hi,

You can play this build from Rewratt here without psi points if you want : https://underrail.info/build/?HgMHBwMQAwcAS8KgAB4Awoo8NUBLZGQkNCgAAABGAABKfzkiMALCgE7Co2pLTC8nJsK1YeKjsALio7ED4qe-Ct-_  , it will still be good :)
I'm Potoldski on discord

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 02:14:17 pm »
Hi,

You can play this build from Rewratt here without psi points if you want : https://underrail.info/build/?HgMHBwMQAwcAS8KgAB4Awoo8NUBLZGQkNCgAAABGAABKfzkiMALCgE7Co2pLTC8nJsK1YeKjsALio7ED4qe-Ct-_  , it will still be good :)
Hey, thanks for sharing Ploluap 😄
Yeah, this build also has Versatility for some Electrical pistol action + Ambush crits vs Robots and other tanky targets.

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2021, 03:29:46 am »
Hi,

Hi,

Hey, thanks for sharing Ploluap 😄
Yeah, this build also has Versatility for some Electrical pistol action + Ambush crits vs Robots and other tanky targets.

That's the kind of build I was looking for. I read around I'll need the electrical pistol for robots.
What should I take instead of the Psi skills by the way?
Also, sorry for the late response. I was waiting for some form of email notification which never arrived.

Is there some sort of precedence, given that I'll start from level 1? I read that Strafe is important and something else I can't think of right now, plus I should always max out the crossbow skill

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 05:32:26 am »
Strafe at lvl 1, for moving and shooting, Quick Tinkering at lvl 4, for bear trapping. Pack Rathound early, preferably at lvl 1 or 2, because carrying loot and a bunch of traps around with 3 str  without it is not cool. Marksmar early on too, for firing special bolts. Electrobolts (stun on hit) is your #1 bolt  works on robots too.

Max out mechanics from start to craft crossbows, electronics for good crossbow scopes, goggles and shields. Keep stealth high, and traps too, with low traps skill humans will detect and avoid or disarm your traps, that is not cool either.

Ploluap

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 07:23:33 am »

Multiple choices here :
- chemistry could be good if you want to craft higher tier nades and mines (but now that there are "plasma mines" and "plasma grenades" it's not necessary) and use higher tier acid ;
- biology could let you use more poisons and craft more drugs like bullhead (80) ;
- more tailoring for crafting armor and make use of infused leather : i would probably pick this one ;
- persuasion or more mercantile for passing some skill checks
- evasion for ranged and explosion defense (requires a lot of points to be effective though...)

You can check the wiki for crafting skill requirements 

None of these are required so pick what you want.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:25:39 am by Ploluap »
I'm Potoldski on discord

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 12:40:20 pm »
That's the kind of build I was looking for. I read around I'll need the electrical pistol for robots.
Also, sorry for the late response. I was waiting for some form of email notification which never arrived.

Is there some sort of precedence, given that I'll start from level 1? I read that Strafe is important and something else I can't think of right now, plus I should always max out the crossbow skill
I put the feats in order. You can of course move them around (say, Versatility a bit earlier, at 8 or 10), but the most important is - Ambush ASAP (6), Elemental Bolts, Crit Power. As soon al level 6 you can start setting up Ambushes, with 55%+ Crit chance. Just use any armor that grants you as high Stealth as possible.
You will not be encountering super heavy robots for a little while, but an Amplified Laser Pistol could be made as early as lvl 5-6 too. Look for parts at all Junkyard traders. Not sure if Ezra sells Circular Wave Amplifier until after Drill Parts were returned. Anyways, having that pistol will be a great boon in taking out turrets in Depot A, etc.
And yes, the point allocation is quite simple. You will have all the stats set from lvl1 and just have to invest into PER and Crossbows. Max Stealth as that boosts you crit chance and this will be a super smooth and entertaining build to play with really no major big weaknesses.
For arena, kill or join JKK for their JKK Jacket (killing them doesn't aggro other factions, just don't place traps in Controlled Areas) and use Root Soda. This combined will get you to 29 Initiative, so you will roll against Carnifex on equal footing as he has 29 too 😄 You can also Ambush in the Arena by moving to the back wall a few steps and then let rip 😁
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 12:41:59 pm by RewRatt »

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 02:40:00 am »

I put the feats in order. You can of course move them around (say, Versatility a bit earlier, at 8 or 10), but the most important is - Ambush ASAP (6), Elemental Bolts, Crit Power. As soon al level 6 you can start setting up Ambushes, with 55%+ Crit chance. Just use any armor that grants you as high Stealth as possible.
You will not be encountering super heavy robots for a little while, but an Amplified Laser Pistol could be made as early as lvl 5-6 too. Look for parts at all Junkyard traders. Not sure if Ezra sells Circular Wave Amplifier until after Drill Parts were returned. Anyways, having that pistol will be a great boon in taking out turrets in Depot A, etc.
And yes, the point allocation is quite simple. You will have all the stats set from lvl1 and just have to invest into PER and Crossbows. Max Stealth as that boosts you crit chance and this will be a super smooth and entertaining build to play with really no major big weaknesses.
For arena, kill or join JKK for their JKK Jacket (killing them doesn't aggro other factions, just don't place traps in Controlled Areas) and use Root Soda. This combined will get you to 29 Initiative, so you will roll against Carnifex on equal footing as he has 29 too 😄 You can also Ambush in the Arena by moving to the back wall a few steps and then let rip 😁

Thank you for the detailed instructions!

Niko

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:20:56 am »
This is an extremely passive aggressive approach
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMGDQMLAwcAHsKgAAAAUAAAAAAjAAAAAAAAAMKgAADCoDl_KyIWAjHCgMKHS2o4woUqR8KlwrXCpN-_
a lot of the points are not allocated because the game evolves.
But yeah like I like to think of it, 55/70 Temporal is just too good to pass by doing a build.
Crossbows can be played with 3-5-6, or 3-6-5 start, basically, and going con 9, to sit at <30% for damage, if you choose to. There are ways to combine shotguns and crossbows, with picking Versatility. There however is not too much value in that, either or, Imho. Crossbow can still hit robots doing electrical bolts. You can use Temporal Contraction / Sprint to run to hide, when needed.

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 06:31:09 pm »
This is an extremely passive aggressive approach
https://underrail.info/build/?HgMGDQMLAwcAHsKgAAAAUAAAAAAjAAAAAAAAAMKgAADCoDl_KyIWAjHCgMKHS2o4woUqR8KlwrXCpN-_
a lot of the points are not allocated because the game evolves.
But yeah like I like to think of it, 55/70 Temporal is just too good to pass by doing a build.
Crossbows can be played with 3-5-6, or 3-6-5 start, basically, and going con 9, to sit at <30% for damage, if you choose to. There are ways to combine shotguns and crossbows, with picking Versatility. There however is not too much value in that, either or, Imho. Crossbow can still hit robots doing electrical bolts. You can use Temporal Contraction / Sprint to run to hide, when needed.

I'm ok using PSI, but I wasn't recommended it because it would have made the build harder to use and I'm a new player

Bruno

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2021, 07:57:14 am »
The example builds presented looks solid. If I were to play this myself, I'd absolutely take Pack Rathound much earlier, like lvl 1 or 2, as hauling special bolts, loot and heavy traps around with only 3 str is a massive chore. The extra carrying capacity is needed.

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2021, 08:19:59 am »
The example builds presented looks solid. If I were to play this myself, I'd absolutely take Pack Rathound much earlier, like lvl 1 or 2, as hauling special bolts, loot and heavy traps around with only 3 str is a massive chore. The extra carrying capacity is needed.
Thing is, there are so many Essential Feats, that you simply can't waste slots for something, that can be solved by simply "dropping off stuff on the ground near trader". Don't carry shit you don't need, basicly 😆
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 08:23:54 am by RewRatt »

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 08:23:26 am »
I'm ok using PSI, but I wasn't recommended it because it would have made the build harder to use and I'm a new player
PSI makes it easier, not harder 😄 -25% HP on a 3CON Sneaky Trapper simply doesn't matter 😉 Just hide behind a corner or a pillar from enemies and you will take no damage. And you should always be able to start combat by your terms when Sneaking.

Also, some early tips for getting money, armor and shields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCk0--8Vpgc&list=PLJIz8SEgMJ1rjPUaiY0vheVOUXzfYbnvG&index=2

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2021, 07:52:52 pm »

I was going to do that indeed, mainly because with inexperience I wouldn't know what to drop on the ground

Fire-Dragon-DoL

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2021, 07:53:33 pm »
PSI makes it easier, not harder 😄 -25% HP on a 3CON Sneaky Trapper simply doesn't matter 😉 Just hide behind a corner or a pillar from enemies and you will take no damage. And you should always be able to start combat by your terms when Sneaking.

Also, some early tips for getting money, armor and shields: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCk0--8Vpgc&list=PLJIz8SEgMJ1rjPUaiY0vheVOUXzfYbnvG&index=2

Valid points, I have a little bit of time to think about it.
I'm also conflicted on where should I put points at level 1, since the build has way more than 8 skills.