Author Topic: True Berserker (Optimized Stoicism/SI Heavyweight Hammerer)  (Read 864 times)

Elerai

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
True Berserker (Optimized Stoicism/SI Heavyweight Hammerer)
« on: March 13, 2024, 01:29:03 pm »
https://underrail.info/build/?HgwDBgkDBwYAAAAAwqAAAFA7SgAAfHVBPFEAAGpGAB5JCDktDRIfXwBiS1QxwocqwrZ6woUrwq3DgsKcwp7io7oK4quGBd-8

Lets farm some more negative karma. This theorycrafted build is designed to oneshot with Heavyweight hammers. Melee builds however lack critical chance sources, and Heavyweight also prevents utilizing Infused Rathound Armor. All these just makes me reluctant to use Hammers normally, whether armored or unarmored (yes, I did read the ultimate Hammer guide). If you don't use Heavyweight, why even use hammers?

I propose using Survival Instincts. SI is normally used in Psychosis Psi builds, mainly because trance is one busted drug; but isn't Heavyweight and Critical Power equally busted too? You get like +500% Crit Damage just from those two and a full heavy armor set. This pushes your damage on a crit to plasma pistol tier, however, unlike a plasma pistols, you don't have ambush, seeker goggles, scrutinous etc, so normally you'd have to settle for ~35% crit chance (with Super Steel Sledge + Recklessness + Focus Stim + Weaponsmith), however, with SI and Recklessness +10, you can go up to 75%, 80% with Hardcore Chips. And on a crit, you should obiliterate whatever poor sap you hit.

But how do you survive? Well, Stoicism +5, Aegis, Morphine gives 100% Reduction to all damage types for 3 turns (+1 with Stasis); when Morphine would expire, use Last Stand to survive. PTC, Adrenaline, Fight Response are all active for this duration, giving you ~95 AP to work with. You have Sprint, PTC, and Boot Spring MP, usually enough. Also, Bullheads are very important; I didn't want to waste a feat and stat point on Thick Skull when Bullheads can do the job just fine. Use drugs outside combat with Doctor's Belt, swap to Lifting Belt/Demo Belt, and enter combat.

Now for the fun spice. Metathermics is for Thermo Destabilization. If you lure enemies with a stealth armor set and TNT, then you can drug up, use ThermoD, walk up to them, throw grenades at your feet, then blow up the destabilized guy (typically one with the most HP) with your hammer. Later on, with Master Demolitionist Belt. This is your AOE alternative, and is helpful to have vs crit immune enemies.

You're a bit weaker against robots, but expose weakness should help against Nagas. And bosses.

Last Stand is mostly to survive Morphine on 1% HP, and to lower your HP before a fight for free. Without any specialization, it isn't very good at saving your life, so try to end fights while your drugs are still active.

Dirty Kick and Pummel are cheap attacks that benefit from Heavyweight; and helpful to have in the early game when you don't have Heavyweight. You can use Morphine + Stoicism + Conditioning even without Aegis or +5 Stoicism, combined with Lifting Belt + Food, not impossible to reach mechanical immunity at low HP. Then, as usual, use Last Stand to survive Morphine.

Also, don't get Psi Empathy until you can get PTC (so after Depot A).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 01:33:11 pm by Elerai »

ben

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: True Berserker (Optimized Stoicism/SI Heavyweight Hammerer)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2024, 04:56:24 pm »
Survival instincts + stoicism + flight response seems like a good combo.
I think you will have some survivability issues with such low HP, being a melee character who doesn't kite enemies.

I don't think you need weaponsmith, you should have plenty of damage to already 1-shot enemies.
Also the damage increase from weaponsmith feat is virtually irrelevant. It's a low priority feat for every build.
So thick skull is much more important.

Also, if you are going this route, i do highly recommend getting Nervosomnifer. (150 biology)
And allows you more than 2 turns before requiring you to pop Last Stand.

Anyways seems nice overall. Could work for advanced players. But i think most players will encounter issues in surviving most fights.

destroyor

• Oculite
  • Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: True Berserker (Optimized Stoicism/SI Heavyweight Hammerer)
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2024, 11:35:45 pm »
Styg nerfed the spec stoicism + aegis + morphine combo by patching in a hard cap for mechanical resistance at 95%.

With the low HP to maintain SI it's very possible to get paper cut to death.

OP I would have applaud you but smited you instead since you said you want to farm negative karma.