Author Topic: Beginner looking for a tank build that uses guns.  (Read 7043 times)

Birdoctor

• Noob
    • View Profile
Beginner looking for a tank build that uses guns.
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:25:40 pm »
Hello,

I am a new player who just got underrail+expedition and has no idea what they're doing, I've heard the game is better experienced when you don't have to worry about making a build on the fly.
What I'm looking to be able to do is wear heavy armour, use a gun (probably a shotgun) as well as grenades and/or traps, and maybe get my armour and grenades/traps via crafting.
I don't really want to focus on psi stuff, but dabbling in some aspects of it is fine if required.
Overall, I would like to play a heavily armoured character that uses guns and other tricks such as grenades and/or traps to get the job done. Do tell me if this is spread too thin, and if it is the priority is being a heavily armoured dude.

Thanks for any help pertaining to making a build around this. :)

cypherusuh

• Tchortist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for a tank build that uses guns.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 02:59:48 am »
Try reading this thread : https://stygiansoftware.com/forums/index.php?topic=4706.0

If you want full metal, makes sure you get 8 STR and Armor Slopping. You can still move around with Super Steel armor + tabi / metal boots with strider attachment. If you want Tungsten big boyo set with 95% armor penalty, you need 6 Agi for sprint and Temporal Manipulation to be able to move. And Assault Rifle build works better, since shotgun isn't that accurate if you shoot it more than 6 tiles. There's plenty of thread about tin can AR, just google away

Owlyu

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner looking for a tank build that uses guns.
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 07:32:37 pm »
Ar can is what you need.
Start with 8 str 9 con 9 per 5 int, other stat on 3, than get str to 9, con to 12 the rest go to per as well as a veteran feat. The skills you need, other than guns. is throwing, crafting skills and mercantile (You need good armor, ammo, and special goods in store). Max mech and electro is a must, some bio and early chemistry would help too. Must have feats are, full auto, commando, conditioning, fast metabolism, Thicc skull, concentrated and suppressive fire, oppotunist.
For the gear the tungsten armor will do the job. Make a good ti chrome armor near the endgame to deal with energy weapons, as a gun 7.62 and 8.6 Hornet  will be fine.
You dont need armor slopping, since you dont have mobility, but with a good range and aoe bursts it is not a big problem. Just make the enemy come to you, do not try to chase them.  The worst part of this build imho is how boringly effective it is when you get some decent armor weapon and some feats, and you also need to repair your gun reletivly frequent. On a brigt side, ar have a good dmg, so you didnt need w2c bullet as much as smg user. Also it is probably the only build that didn't benefit from psi that much, and you better keep your skill points and hp. Just keep an eye on a thought control enemies, and try to kill them before they make you suffer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 07:55:14 pm by Owlyu »