Author Topic: Mobile Steel Commando w/ Disassembly + guide  (Read 8049 times)

RewRatt

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
Mobile Steel Commando w/ Disassembly + guide
« on: September 10, 2022, 08:36:45 am »
Hey Everyone,
I've recently returned to Underrail and wanted to give you guys a build that can clear content easily on DOMINATING. I noticed a similar build here already, but I will give you my own spin on it.

Nimble Steel Commando Dis (no PSI):
https://underrail.info/build/?HggGAwoJAwfCoGcAAAAAZEc7UAB4dDM7ZAAAAAB-AD4owoNNRRUCSiRJVSdjUBbCtcKkU8OO4qeqA-KntAXiqJIF378

Nimble Steel Commando Dis (with 55 in Psychokinesis for Imprint and Proxy (explained below)):
https://underrail.info/build/?HggGAwoJAwfCoGcAAAAAZEc7UAB4dDM7ZAA3AAB-AD4owoNNRRUCSiRJK1UnY1AWwrXCpFPDjsKc4qeqA-KntAXiqJIF378

Starting stats: 8STR , 6DEX, 3AGI, 5CON, 8PER, 3WILL, 7INT  - up to lvl 20 put all points into CON to reach 10 and get Thick Skull.

We are getting Paranoia and Trigger Happy on 1st level, to get 26 Initiative right out the gate. Why? Because as a Steel Armor user, we start combat out of Stealth and the way this game works, enemies spot you going around the corner before you even see them. And unless you want to metagame (F9) the whole game, we want to start first and finish last™.

I am also now a Disassemble convert. All my builds, bar some must have it. Why? On DOMINATING, this will give you amazing money, best components and by lvl 20 you won't need repair kits anymore! And up till then, you will be swimming in Repair Kits, as you can disassemble Sledge Hammers, put them back together and get A TON of parts by recycling a full durability one (applies to everything else you can put back together, that you would recycle).
Assault Rifles of higher calibers feel like paper with their durability, so yeah, NO MORE REPAIR KITS NEEDED! Also, you can get some components, like highest level Galvanic Vests from Disassembling sold Riot Armors and such. Simply invest 5 specialization points into it ASAP.

Also with 6DEX, you can get Pickpocketing going immediately for all the ammo and meds and money too.

Crafting - make Steel Armor from highest quality Steel Plate asap from lvl4. Tungsten Steel Boots with Boot Spring too and High Density Foam (check by saving before buying if it gives much benefit, compared to Soft Foam at that early level). Look for Regen Vest, use it in your armor ASAP and the whole game you will be upgrading that only with higher quality ones.
Our focus is as much DT as possible as at that early level, Physical resistance will be sub 50% anyway. Also, aim to have 70% AP or so, with >30 Quality Boot Springs, that should give you 20 MP - and that is our target. Reinforce with 1 Plate if needed.
Why 20MP? To move out of cover, shoot, and move back in. That way Ranged targets will come to you and won't be a problem. Remember, we will have Jumping Beans later on, which grant 10MP, so plan accordingly.

After Depot A - Highest quality Steel again, but reinforce with Tichrome instead if needed. Experiment with what gives you most DT for 20MP (can include Jumping Beans, so reinforce more if you want). Tungsten Steel Boots with Springs still.

SUPER STEEL

Don't try crafting without Refining Data (https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Super_Steel_Refining_Data)  as you will waste money on sub 170 quality plates. To get 4 pieces ASAP, you need to do:

Hecate Research Outpost - From The Foundry - 1 zone East, 3 zones North. You will see double doors, thats the outpost (https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hecate_Research_Outpost).
2nd floor is the Coil Spider nest, don't leave the starting room - use stealth gear, make noise and fight there. Make sure to unequip or discharge gear (Crit Goggles) that you a wearing that has energy, as you will get EMP'ed then. It is just a precaution, if we hold the room well, no spiders should get to shoot at us. Shut down and restart the generator to access the computer with the data.

Lost Vault - From the Hecate Research Outpost - go down the hole next to the doors, then 3 zones South. BEWARE, last zone will have Azurdae next to the entrance, use Stealth before entering. Then 1 zone East. Thats the Vault https://stygiansoftware.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lost_Vault.
Use Hacking to get inside. Very easy, as we should have at least 60 Hacking from Depot A + Haxxor MK3 and Voila! Inside, reach most northern room and loot it from a box.

Hephaestus Research - Get the quest from Protectorate to rescue the expedition (2nd quest in chain)> From Lost Vault - 2 zones West, 2 zones South. Super easy area for Tin Can AR build. Wipe the floor with Burrowers, get Dreadnaught armor, WIPE it even harder! 😆 Loot the data from one of the boxes.

Last one! I prefer to do the Institute.
Gain access to the institute by clearing the Mall from Lunatics. Very easy for this build again, just upon entering the place, use that room to fight. I recommend stealth gear again.
Clear the computer room, kill anything that comes to the noise. When out of combat, detonate a TNT in the back-room you came from and again, kill anything that comes. Mop up the place afterwards - there are a few Lunatics in Stealth that won't come to noise, so just hunt them down.

Once inside the institute, head to Library (upper floor, North exit I believe). Pickpocket the  Library Propagator Card (Institute of Tchort) from an Acolyte and use it to acess the data on a computer.
Download the data, and Thats IT!

Crafting Super Steel - I recommend using Cheat Engine to speed game up. I use 100x time speed set on toggle (don't need to hold) and on 5x speed in game it takes just 30secs IRL. Do it outside the area, where there are no moving NPC's, so just enter the Mine from same zone (where Beast came from). With 4 pieces of Data you will have a very high chance to roll >170 quality plates, so repeat that untill you are happy.
It is recommended to have a house at this point, for the crafting bonus as you will make you end game armor right now. Can be done by level 20 on Classic XP - 110 invested, 138 actual + bonus = 158 Mechanics. And we can add and remove plates, as we should have 5/5 in Disassembly with no loss in quality.

PSI or no-PSI?
Arguments against:
  • Chad Status
  • More HP
Arguments for:
  • Imprint - is useful for choke points and to get Crawlers, as they will constantly Sting you and run and they will never fight you, because of Thick Skull. Also, to negate super high evasion of some bosses, namely arena ones.
  • Proxy - only used to create a well lit area with 100% accuracy and relatively small radius, so it becomes super easy to Ambush and negate half enemy Evasion and raise you crit.

FAQ:

Why only 11 Perception max?
Because you WANT to miss with AR at longer ranges, to hit other targets. And up close, you will land almost all hits even with 8PER anyway + Concentrader Fire will SHRED anything and everything.

Why the Stealth investment?
We have a ton of Skill points and we need 40 for Ambush anyways. Add to the fact, that you need at or over 117 for Greater Coil Spiders. Plus, we will carry high level Ninja Tabis and low Armor Penalty Stealth Armor with us, because there is no running away from the fact that Stealth is preferable in some places.

How does it compare to No-Mobility Tungsten?
It is much easier and more pleasant to play this. Tungsten of >150 quality is also extremely hard to find, even after doing The Beast quest. So to reach 95% resistance, you will need to wear a helmet, which reduces PER and Crit Chance considerably. I played it on DOMINATING too, and even with Jumping Bean and Drifter Feat you only get a margin of SS build's mobility and get wrecked by massed enemies using HE Grenades, Shock Bolts and god forbid, Though Control Psionics...
So simply put, mobility that SS allows CONSTANTLY and off-cooldown + Helmet slot for +19% crit and Night Vision is amazing. Remember, you dont really need 95% Physical Defense, as say 90% and 550 Health biggest Sniper shots will only do 80 damage WITHOUT shield. You will regen that in 1 turn almost.

Why no Critical Power?
You can swap it in instead of Grenadier or Gun Nut, but I personally prefer Muzzled Rapid 7.62 Hornet vs fitting AA scope in there somehwere. It certainly can be done though, but will mostly benefit the secondary AA Chimera. Just remember that the +15% top damage from Gun Nut applies ALWAYS and Grenadier for FIELDS of FIRE™ and EMP w/ Plasma MK3 on short CD are very useful.

In the picture, the SS Armor is made of 177, 173, 170, 167 plates.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 08:52:36 am by RewRatt »

Niko

Re: Mobile Steel Commando w/ Disassembly + guide
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 08:08:04 am »
Disassemble is so much fun. I never really took advantage of it before in the early game, like picking it at 2, but now I must think of having it in most builds as well, because it changes the whole way you perceive the loot littered around. Charons everywhere!

Out of curiosity, I took the ideas here and modified it for shotguns to try out. It feels very smooth as well.

Also, I fantasized about a very low quality modulator to be used in energy shield with metal armors. Disassembly before putting in the spec points allows to rank component quality down to 1, it seems. Yay! :D

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 06:06:30 pm »

I am also now a Disassemble convert. All my builds, bar some must have it. Why? On DOMINATING, this will give you amazing money, best components and by lvl 20 you won't need repair kits anymore! And up till then, you will be swimming in Repair Kits, as you can disassemble Sledge Hammers, put them back together and get A TON of parts by recycling a full durability one (applies to everything else you can put back together, that you would recycle).
Assault Rifles of higher calibers feel like paper with their durability, so yeah, NO MORE REPAIR KITS NEEDED! Also, you can get some components, like highest level Galvanic Vests from Disassembling sold Riot Armors and such. Simply invest 5 specialization points into it ASAP.

Also with 6DEX, you can get Pickpocketing going immediately for all the ammo and meds and money too.

I feel like you already are floating in money from quest rewards by the time you start Junkyard, and you're floating in repair kits with the recycle and repair kit blueprints, assuming you have mechanics (which all firearm builds will). Better to spend the feat and 5 spec points on something that increases your damage or survivability.

Still not sold on Disassemble, and consider it a waste of a feat, especially if you have pickpocket to get your early game ammo and meds.

Your build would be stronger with no dissasemble, maybe a crit feat, and spec more into full auto and concentrated fire.

I would drop pack rathound as well, just loot less.

Pick up recklessness and crit power, build yourself a couple of crit damage scoped, rapid chimeras.

https://underrail.info/build/?HggGAwoJAwfCoGcAAAAAZEc7UAB4dDM7ZAA3AAB-AD4owoNFFQJKJEkrVWNQFsK1wqRTw47CnDFL4p-iBeKnqgPip7QH378

If you're feeling really wild, even try and squeeze survival instincts in there.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 06:12:38 pm by peet »

Niko

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2022, 01:56:35 am »
Well the thing with disassemble 5/5 is that you do not have to combine your end-game super armor all at once. And if you would rather have a bio vest for some fights with your best metal plates instead of regenerative, you can just rebuild your armor on the spot (given you go high base mechanics to have this option, ofc). Using the high quality material does not make it unavailable for you ever again. That is why it might be appealing.

Inq

• Probably not a Spambot
  • I have a kwestion.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2022, 07:07:05 pm »
This is a really cool build, was discussing the idea of a dissassemble build to swap in bio and galvanic vests to deal with coil spiders, crawlers and mushroom cave easier, and this is like the perfect build I've seen for it.

I think if you're getting 55 PK, you should absolutely be getting Telekinetic Grounding as well. You don't have opportunist but blocking off a chokepoint for several turns at a moment's notice is pretty helpful.

Is Commando Spec really worth the extra 9AP versus just doing more concentrated fire damage?

Vibos

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 05:14:16 pm »
Is Commando Spec really worth the extra 9AP versus just doing more concentrated fire damage?
Commando spec allows you to do 3 bursts per turn with rapid 7.62 hornet. Without adrenaline or temporal. It is totally worth it.