Author Topic: A Perfect Slice: a DOMINATING knife build, very OP & very Fun  (Read 7105 times)

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
A Perfect Slice

Knife is my favorite melee, and this is build is the product of a few iterations on knife builds. The end result is something that works so well together, it's almost a little too good. Enjoy!

https://underrail.info/build/?HgMQBwkDAwUAwqAAwqAowqBQACoAAFlcDy1eAAAAwqAAS0QrYsKDJiQTBjzCh0tREk7CgTHCs3vChcKtGsKbw47inY0G4qe-BuKouwPfvg

Highlights
- Insane damage
- 5 AP attacks
- Excellent mobility
- Decent survivability
- Always go first
- Min-maxed skills

About the Build

Knives have a ton of crit damage, scale off of dex (which also reduces their attack cost), and have several ways to boost their crit chance. To attack with a knife, you need to get to the enemy, so there's a bit of a focus on movement points to make sure you can reach your enemy. This build takes these factors into consideration and to the furthest extent possible, resulting in a pretty overpowered but very fun build.

By the time the build is fully complete, you have ~400% crit damage, 90% crit chance when buffed, 37 initiative, >100 movement points, and 5AP attacks that do like 500 damage each.

Feats:

The goal here is to stack as much crit as possible, which leads to considering Survival Instincts for the Juicy +30% crit. Unfortunately you can't fit ripper in with 18 dex, survival instincts, cheap shots, and fancy footwork, so there ends up being no room for Ripper. The ripper version of this build has no SI. I've played both versions, and this version is superior.

A bit more on why SI is better than Ripper: when this build gets up and running, most enemies die to a crit. Ripper doesn't affect your first crit, just affects your subsequent hits. Additionally, you lose SI if you want Ripper (the other stuff you'd have to give up is even more important), thus losing 30-50% of your crit chance. So ripper applies 30-50% less of the time, since now you're critting even less frequently. I think it might help with hard bot encounters, but with Expose Weakness, Kukuri, EMPs, and corrosive acid, you have plenty of way of destroying those encounters.

Offensive Feats
Survival Instincts: +30% crit
Trigger Happy: 7 int, takes you up to 37 init which is 10 more than Coil Spiders. You will pretty much always go first.
Opportunist: Nice damage boost when you need it
Cheap Shots: massive boost to crit damage and 1/6 chance to incap. Amazing.
Taste for Blood: +50% damage for pretty much every fight. Amazing
Psycho-Temporal Acceleration: +20 AP
Critical Power: massive boost to crit damage
Fatal Throw: At 18 dex, your throws can generate up to net 18AP for you per turn.
Expose Weakness: Nice for big bots
Recklessness: More crit
Increased Dexterity: Gets you to 5AP attacks on tungsten knife with eel sandwich
Blindsiding: +15% damage

Mobility Feats
Fancy Footwork: Each attack gives you MP. Massive benefit with 5AP attacks
Flight Response: +25 MP all the time because of its awesome synergy with Survival Instincts

Defensive Feats
Nimble: Gets your armor penalty down to zero and boosts your evasion significantly
Escape Artist: Nice for nets, can probably skip with your high evasion. I've ended up using it like 5 times.
Brutality: A fun feat, works well even at 75 intimidation. Can skip.

Spec:
Fatal Throw AP +3
Crit Damage +6
Cheap Shots Crit Damage: +6

Gear:
Head: Either deaths grin or a TM headband
Body: Infused rathound leather for, you guessed it, more crit
Belt: Dr's Pouch for 2AP meds, or Large Waist Pack for Al Phabet role play
Feet: Tabis, either black cloth or siphoner
Shield: Low Low Efficient
Utilities: Throwing Knives, Taser, Flashbang, Nail Grenades, EMPs

Weapons:
The best knife is a Tungsten Combat knife (most damage), and Super Steel Combat Knife for dodgy Enemies. Daggers do a little more damage for living creatures, but those never give you any trouble.

Energy edge emitter isn't really worth it, lots of the tough bots (nagas, strongmen, etc) have some amount of energy resistance. The best emitter is electroshock.

I also use serrated TiChrome for random shitty mobs for 5 AP attacks without eating my precious eel sandwiches, nor having to use nail bombs for TfB stacks.

A quick note on skills: you can drop TM to good ol 70 for more wiggle room with skills. Crafting and mercantile are min-maxed to use drugs, benches, gear, etc to hit breakpoints and craft end game gear.

To give you an idea of the power of the build: I was able to do the invasions without losing any Aegis troopers on my first attempt. Most enemies die in one hit. The only real troublesome enemies are bots.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 05:31:52 pm by peet »

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Slice - a DOMINATING knife build, very OP & very Fun
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2024, 10:17:13 am »
Like this build but really difficult to play, especially in the beggining (also 0 experience playing melee builds before)
Can take Versality and use Thumper + Bear Traps for easy exp farming on classic. Maybe even Split Spare to finish off 2 enemies at once (injured by GL). But it will not be knives build this way)
Nice to use Knife Thrower's Glove in offhand (5 AP with 19 dex for throwing knives)
Build is very depended on crafted gear
« Last Edit: June 02, 2024, 10:39:18 am by Kiruha »

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2024, 04:09:55 pm »
Like this build but really difficult to play, especially in the beggining (also 0 experience playing melee builds before)
Can take Versality and use Thumper + Bear Traps for easy exp farming on classic. Maybe even Split Spare to finish off 2 enemies at once (injured by GL). But it will not be knives build this way)
Nice to use Knife Thrower's Glove in offhand (5 AP with 19 dex for throwing knives)
Build is very depended on crafted gear

You shouldn’t need any of that. By level 10, you’re pretty much unstoppable.

What are you having trouble with?

Kiruha

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2024, 05:46:37 pm »
You shouldn’t need any of that. By level 10, you’re pretty much unstoppable.
What are you having trouble with?

Just dying left and right, difficult to deal with big groups of enemies, killing speed is nice but staying alive is difficult).
Traps was real pain before I found motion tracking gooles (must-have for 3 per charactres).
I found melee playstyle much-much more difficult than psi or guns, with ranged attacks it is very easy to win every fight by cheesing bear traps and gas grenades.
I think my problems are more about my playing skill, not build. Now I try to craft end game gear and I see how it will be.

harperfan7

• Oculite
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2024, 05:57:17 pm »
Yeah, you're just not used to the game yet.
*eurobeat intensifies*

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2024, 06:25:54 pm »
Kite them around corners with fancy footwork, incapacitate with cheap shots, stun with taser, throw flashbangs, etc. throw a nail bomb for TfB stacks, get that damage boost and then just slay everything.

Eidein

• Oculite
  • Zoner
    • View Profile
    • My youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2024, 10:49:14 am »
Did pig make you that ai image  :P

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2024, 01:08:31 pm »
I made it myself  8)

Eldakar

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 01:32:23 pm »
Peet, do you think is this build best of all melee builds from early-mid-end game run?

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2024, 01:14:14 am »
Peet, do you think is this build best of all melee builds from early-mid-end game run?

It’s up there but I think the strongest might be  dex glove psi monk. It’s definitely either gloves or knife.

ben

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2024, 07:28:16 am »
Well written guide Peet, have my upvote.

Wanted to share a few comments:
1. There's a case to be made for taking Ripper + Blitz, and dropping Survival Instincts and Brutality
Challenging fights for melee build can be bosses with a lot of HP, and armored enemies..
They all require many melee strikes to defeat, and ripper can be really useful.

2. Taking 'three-pointer' feat is also a game changer for knife builds.
Dealing with multiple armored units like Giant crabs, Industrial robots, Strong men, Nagas and the hardest enemies for knife builds.
Three-pointer with a Dexterity based build and maxed throwing, like the build you have, increases your grenade crit chance by 55%
You can also craft highest level plasma grenades (which are probably the grenades against armored units), since have points in electronics.
This way you don't need to invest any further points in chemistry for Frag Grenades.

3. Vile Weaponry feat is also extremely useful, especially for boss fights, and heavily armored living enemies, which requires stacking multiple debuffs.
Given the build, it may be hard to find room for this feat.
I believe this feat adds damage which is not reduced by enemy resistances and armor, but is pure unresisted damage.
So the damage increase is much more noticeable than 'blindsiding' or 'taste for blood' as an example.

4. Just a preference, but i would remove some points from Temporal Manipulation, and invest them in Hacking, since it makes many areas and encounters easier, especially for new players.\

Anyways it's a good solid build, and well explained.

peet

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2024, 08:09:09 pm »
Well written guide Peet, have my upvote.

Wanted to share a few comments:
1. There's a case to be made for taking Ripper + Blitz, and dropping Survival Instincts and Brutality
Challenging fights for melee build can be bosses with a lot of HP, and armored enemies..
They all require many melee strikes to defeat, and ripper can be really useful.

2. Taking 'three-pointer' feat is also a game changer for knife builds.
Dealing with multiple armored units like Giant crabs, Industrial robots, Strong men, Nagas and the hardest enemies for knife builds.
Three-pointer with a Dexterity based build and maxed throwing, like the build you have, increases your grenade crit chance by 55%
You can also craft highest level plasma grenades (which are probably the grenades against armored units), since have points in electronics.
This way you don't need to invest any further points in chemistry for Frag Grenades.

3. Vile Weaponry feat is also extremely useful, especially for boss fights, and heavily armored living enemies, which requires stacking multiple debuffs.
Given the build, it may be hard to find room for this feat.
I believe this feat adds damage which is not reduced by enemy resistances and armor, but is pure unresisted damage.
So the damage increase is much more noticeable than 'blindsiding' or 'taste for blood' as an example.

4. Just a preference, but i would remove some points from Temporal Manipulation, and invest them in Hacking, since it makes many areas and encounters easier, especially for new players.\

Anyways it's a good solid build, and well explained.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words.

Brutality is mostly added for fun and to get the most out of the death's grin hat, and can totally be dropped.

The tradeoff between SI and Ripper + blitz is a real tricky one (i've played both builds), but I think in encounters with many enemies SI wins out due to its consistency and improved AP efficiency, while ripper wins out in encounters against multiple bots (crabs are absolutely not a problem due to cheap shots). For those bot encounters, you can throw a mk3 nade and corrosive acid and still take them out without too much of a problem. Its a bit of a crapshoot between SI & ripper, but that's the general breakdown: easier multi-enemy encounters and consistency vs easier bots.

The 3rd option is 16 dex, SI + ripper. However, in that case you lose 5 ap attacks, leading to a 20% reduction in damage, which I doubt that ripper makes up for, but is in all reality a decent alternative.

3 pointer would absolutely kick ass for sure, and a great add.

I'll have to really disagree on vile weaponry. Any enemy that can be affected by vile weaponry (eg: not bots), gets completely and entirely dominated already. You can also just toss a nail bomb. T4B and blindsiding are great because they multiply on top of all of your other multipliers, and apply pretty much universally. Out of the two, T4B is the superior feat, but blindsiding is hard to resist.

Flappy

• Noob
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Slice: a DOMINATING knife build, very OP & very Fun
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2024, 08:42:30 am »
could you post the build around level 10 so i could atleast see where i should be around the halfway point =)?

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
Re: A Perfect Slice: a DOMINATING knife build, very OP & very Fun
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2024, 10:43:56 am »
A SS knife would crit harder than a tungsten one despite having a lower crit bonus, seeing as you can fairly easily get SS plates of 175+ quality while tungsten in the same range is an exceptionally rare find. It would have higher base damage and enjoy other benefits of a SS knife.

飞刀武僧

• Noob
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2024, 09:44:48 pm »
Just dying left and right, difficult to deal with big groups of enemies, killing speed is nice but staying alive is difficult).
This is why I recommend people to play fist BD instead of knife BD.
Glove weapons are a stable source of Incapacitation, which makes the monk very controlling of the battlefield.
Glove weapons provide huge non-crit based damage, which makes the monk perform better than the knife bd when dealing with large numbers of robots.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2024, 07:57:04 am by 飞刀武僧 »