Author Topic: Underrail wiki?  (Read 166782 times)

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: Underrail wiki?
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2013, 01:50:44 am »
Styg - Do you use a tool to edit/view item descriptions and stats? It would be helpful for anyone working on the wiki.

Yes, of course. But I can't provide you this tool (technical and other reasons). Sorry.

posfan12

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2013, 02:33:05 am »
Would you be willing to dump this info to a text file(s)?

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2013, 03:02:41 am »
Going to need admin rights to get the wiki started - to change the Mediawiki interface pages (css/sidebar) and to protect pages (I'll make some special internal templates).

Other than that, I'm perfectly fine with just user rights, but it might be a good idea to have some active admins on your wiki, in case of vandalism.

Gave you admin rights.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2013, 03:13:15 am »
Would you be willing to dump this info to a text file(s)?

Will see if there's an easy way to do this. Can't promise anything, though.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2013, 02:31:19 pm »
Good job. Copied the image.

I posted about the wiki around the social channel so hopefully that will get us a couple more contributors.

Btw, if you guys want to make a page about something but are not 100% clear on how it's working in terms of numbers and exact mechanics, go ahead and do it anyways. I'll be scanning through the wiki regularly and adding/correcting that sort of stuff.

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2013, 08:32:18 am »
Mighty fine work on the new main page!

maheusz

• Scavenger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2013, 09:06:19 am »
I'll checked the main yesterday and today after work I'll try to register an account and maybe add some stuff... but don't quote me on that :P. It's Easter so I won't be very... free.

But yeah, great work!

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2013, 01:16:22 pm »
Had to disable account creation because of the bot invasion.  >:(

PM me or post here if you want to contribute and I'll create an account for you. I know it's not ideal, but it's all I can do until I deal with this.

Btw, does anyone know a good way to nuke all these bots?

Infiltrator

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2013, 12:30:34 pm »
Can't wait for the wiki to be filled out, I like being able to plan out my character ahead of time :)

16bitAindo

• Probably not a Spambot
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 27, 2013, 05:53:41 pm »
Could I have an account with the same name as I have on the forums please?

Eliasfrost

• Tchortist
  • If fate frowns, we all perish
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2013, 07:56:13 pm »
Nice work! :)

But I think the feats page needs a bit of tweaking since it doesn't really tell what skills are required, only the level, which can be confusing to some.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
Re: item infobox templates!
« Reply #101 on: July 30, 2013, 03:18:06 pm »
One of the problems with the generated/crafted items such as weapons and armors is that their stats are not constant but rather depend on the quality of the items used when crafting them (or generating them in the background which uses the same process). I guess on the pages for those items there could be a few samples of the variations and a link to the blueprint page where there would be explanations how each component influences the resulting item. I could fill up the latter.

When components are concerned quality of each of these falls into certain ranged, e.g. Cave Hopper leather caps at 25 quality or something. I can fill up this exact range when you guys make a page for the component.

I recalled you saying something like that, and that gave me an idea - I made an automatic maintenance category for items with example stats, so locating pages that need attention should be easy. This should be helpful in the future.

And I completely agree with your ideas - weapon/armor pages should probably keep the examples and leave the detailed explanation to blueprint pages, while component pages could use the exact stat ranges since they only have small variation (quality, required skills, value) and that can be easily added into the template.

Cool.

I (and anyone who wants to) can create example items for generated items (crafting results), while the components don't need them since the only variation is the quality level.

On the component pages we can just say like:

quality range: 1-50

Required crafting skills (as percentage of quality value):
   Tailoring: 100%
   Mechanics: 50%

You get the picture. If you can make a template like that for components, that would be nice.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2013, 10:44:54 pm »
On the component pages we can just say like:

quality range: 1-50

Required crafting skills (as percentage of quality value):
   Tailoring: 100%
   Mechanics: 50%

You get the picture. If you can make a template like that for components, that would be nice.

You can already do that with the existing component template! I just made some small changes to it so it automatically detects quality range and adds text accordingly.
Here's an example how. Check the source.

Not sure if I'm content with the value representation, maybe "24 x Quality" would be better than "2400% of Quality"?

Cool. Will take a look.

Regarding the difficulty factor format, either one will work fine. But it's usually 1 (100%) or between 0.5-1. Some components don't have quality though and have fixed difficulty.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2013, 10:36:07 am »
Regarding the difficulty factor format, either one will work fine. But it's usually 1 (100%) or between 0.5-1. Some components don't have quality though and have fixed difficulty.
I think the difficulty factor is fine as a %, but what about the item's value? Isn't value also quality-based (for components with variable quality) and usually something like 10-50 (1000%-5000%)? Well, I guess percentage is fine for larger multipliers as well.

Most of the components with static stats (ie. no quality) are already in the wiki. They simply omit the quality parameter from the template.
I've had some free time and I've added a fair bit of stuff to the wiki in the recent days.  :)

But there's at least one component missing - the magazine upgrade for rifles. I've never even seen it in-game, I just know it exists because it has an icon and I've had many rifles that use it. What's its name?

Nice, good to see wiki finally moving along. :)

It seems I forgot to add some rifle components to the loot table and that's why they are not showing up in-game. I'll add those to the wiki myself.

As for the price of a component, if it's not fixed then it's: x + y * quality. So best to go for plain numbers.

Styg

• Administrator
  • Godman
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2013, 11:07:34 pm »
Nice, good to see wiki finally moving along. :)
Would probably be faster if anyone could chime in easily. The need for manual registration is not the most user-friendly. :P

I wonder what would happen if you made these changes to the user rights:
- give edit rights to everyone
- remove createpage/createtalk rights from everyone
- give createpage/createtalk rights to autoconfirmed users
set $wgAutoConfirmCount to something like 1-3
and re-enable account creation

New and anonymous users could edit existing pages and registered users could create new pages after they have $wgAutoConfirmCount edits.
Since the spambots never made more than 1-2 edits and those were always new pages, this should be restrictive enough to keep them at bay.

Ok, will give this a shot.